What I'm seeing in my first 13 TB starts

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Mark Mclaughlin
Sprinter

What I'm seeing in my first 13 TB starts

Post by Mark Mclaughlin »

A horse pretty much runs the same surface as their parents. I've only had one decent run from a horse running on the opposite of their parent's surface, the rest have been last or close to it but were very uncompetitive. I'd like the opinion of veteran simmers. TYIA.
Brandon Schultz
Turf Router

Re: What I'm seeing in my first 13 TB starts

Post by Brandon Schultz »

A horse will always run on the same surface and at the same distance as its parents. There are very, very few exceptions to this rule.

I recommend checking out the HELP section. It has a bunch of good info.
The Brandon Schultz Stable Website
Now Standing
TB Dirt Sprint | Dopamine ($55k)
TB Dirt Route | Ill With Want ($35k) | The Hotshot ($5k)
TB AW Sprint | Julius Caesar ($10k) | Maggot ($10k)
QH Sprint | Lagunitas ($15k)
Lance Macisaac
Miler

Post by Lance Macisaac »

Yeah, it's not like real life racing in terms of distance or surface. Horses in the SIM will almost always only be good on one surface and at one range of distances.
Sprinters will only be good at less than a mile, milers will only be good at exactly one mile, and routers will only be good at more than one mile. Turf horses will only be good on the turf, dirt horses will only be good on the dirt, and all weather horses will only be good on the all weather. There are some very rare exceptions, but it's highly advisable to just keep your horse running at whatever you know it wants.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

The best answer I can give anyone is play this like a game, not like real life.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
David Howard
Miler

Post by David Howard »

Pietro Vella wrote: 2 years ago The best answer I can give anyone is play this like a game, not like real life.
Alternatively, just play real life like a game
Turf Mile stud:
Devonshire Lad
- $30,000

Turf Route studs:
Daddy Green
- $10,000
Mauriously - $10,000
Dunk and Egg - $10,000
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

David Howard wrote: 2 years ago
Pietro Vella wrote: 2 years ago The best answer I can give anyone is play this like a game, not like real life.
Alternatively, just play real life like a game
He’s not wrong
;p
Mark Mclaughlin
Sprinter

Brandon Schultz wrote: 2 years agoI recommend checking out the HELP section. It has a bunch of good info.
The only times I've posted here is when I can't find what I'm looking for there. Thanks, Brandon.
Mark Mclaughlin
Sprinter

Lance Macisaac wrote: 2 years ago Yeah, it's not like real life racing in terms of distance or surface. Horses in the SIM will almost always only be good on one surface and at one range of distances.
Very disheartening, where's this sim's sense of adventure, of surprise. Pretty stifling. Run on parent's surface/distance, repeat ad nauseum. If that's what it is, so be it.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Mark Mclaughlin wrote: 2 years ago
Lance Macisaac wrote: 2 years ago Yeah, it's not like real life racing in terms of distance or surface. Horses in the SIM will almost always only be good on one surface and at one range of distances.
Very disheartening, where's this sim's sense of adventure, of surprise. Pretty stifling. Run on parent's surface/distance, repeat ad nauseum. If that's what it is, so be it.
To be fair, the sim has recently developed in this area and there are horses now that can do multiple surfaces or distances (for example, Longbird, Beatuinthesorrow, Maggot, even I have one called Fortrail etc.) but I think a general rule is that most horses are split into divisions like dirt router (going long on dirt), turf sprinter (short on turf), all weather mile (a mile on all weather) etc. As a newbie, it’s best to get a hang on individual divisions before dipping your toes into horses that can run different divisions, even seasoned players sometimes struggle with deciding on what to do about those horses.
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

You are welcome to run your TB horses on any surface/distance you like. Make it an adventure. Have fun, that is what this game is about.
You will never know until you try.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Brandon Schultz
Turf Router

Post by Brandon Schultz »

Brandon Schultz wrote: 2 years agoI recommend checking out the HELP section. It has a bunch of good info.
The only times I've posted here is when I can't find what I'm looking for there. Thanks, Brandon.
It's there! Under Entering Races > Where Should I Enter:
"Look at the horse's parents. Were they better sprinting or routing? Were they better on turf, or dirt? That's where you should run your horse."
The Brandon Schultz Stable Website
Now Standing
TB Dirt Sprint | Dopamine ($55k)
TB Dirt Route | Ill With Want ($35k) | The Hotshot ($5k)
TB AW Sprint | Julius Caesar ($10k) | Maggot ($10k)
QH Sprint | Lagunitas ($15k)
Mark Mclaughlin
Sprinter

Brandon Schultz wrote: 2 years ago
It's there! Under Entering Races > Where Should I Enter:
"Look at the horse's parents. Were they better sprinting or routing? Were they better on turf, or dirt? That's where you should run your horse."
You're right, I missed that. TY.
Mark Mclaughlin
Sprinter

Thank you all for your help/thoughts. I'm going to conduct a few experiments and revisit this thread later if you're interested.
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

[/quote]

If you want your ' sense of adventure and surprise ' keep running your horses incorrectiy and you'll get one once in a blue moon. Wouldn't be an 'adventure ' nor a 'surprise ' if you were successful each time, would it ????