article on "improve" meaning

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Art K Stables
Grade 1 Winner

article on "improve" meaning

Post by Art K Stables »

I think this article is misleading enough that a new owner could make huge mistakes following this advice.. If you have a horse that gallops high (stakes or better for sure) and is a late bloomer, run that horse in a claiming race and get ready to lose it. As for when late bloomers come along, they can go to peak well before the age of 4 or 5, those ages are vague at best on the changes.. and also, when it says peak, it also says "but even I can't predict the future" that means that horse could improve quite a bit, it does not necessarily mean "it is all you are getting" at all. If a beginner follows this article they are more likely to lose a valuable horse should they be fortunate enough to acquire one. If you are a new player, beware. Whether this article should remain I will leave to others, but I think however well intentioned this article should have disclaimers on it to avoid new player lawsuits in the future lol, sorry horseyface, but in my opinion, this one shouldn't be up. I am happy to be corrected on this if I am wrong and welcome any thoughts, should there be any. Thanks for your time. and patience. :D
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Re: article on "improve" meaning

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Agree with everything Art K wrote.

In addition, all of my late bloomers have changed to peak by mid-season of their 4yo year, often sooner than that. The only improves I've had at age five are from horses rated peak. Same with progressive (some improve mid-season age 4, others improve sooner).

I have also found that the improve comment has more to do with the size of the expected improve than the TIMING of the expected improve - progressive usually either stays within the current gallop comment or improves one, late bloomer usually improves one or more from the current gallop comment.

At the end of the day, the horse's racing ability matters more than any gallop/improve comment. If you have a well-bred horse or a horse with a stakes gallop comment, try running them in a non-claiming race first. You can always drop them down later, if they prove that's their level. Following this advice could have you losing a horse that could have helped your stable.
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

I agree with Laura and Art.

I'd also add that most chasers start off as different career as yearlings because we can't teach them to jump until they are 2yo. They could be Freak chasers. Don't get rid of them, that is terrible advice.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

We added a disclaimer that this info may or may not actually be true, and is the author's interpretation.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Horsey Mchorseface
Two Year Old

Post by Horsey Mchorseface »

If it's wrong, just take down the article. I've always said these articles are only based on my personal experiences and are therefore my own interpretation. I feel repetitive saying that in every single article, but if I need to I will. If I'm wrong, I don't want to spread incorrect information and I'd rather you just remove the article.
Horsey Mchorseface
Two Year Old

Post by Horsey Mchorseface »

I also very rarely go on the forum, so I'm more likely to see any notice of something being wrong if you PM me. Just FYI.