Bad news, good news, and fun news

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Bad news, good news, and fun news

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I remember being confused about year-end as a new player, so I thought I would put some of the basics out there for those going through this for the first time. Vets feel free to add anything I miss.

The last day of racing for Year 59 is Oct 15, after which the game will go on "break", and racing will not resume until Nov 1. So, the bad news is that you will have two weeks with no purse money coming in. Also, I believe that article submissions are suspended during break (unless this has changed?), which means new players have no way to earn during this period.

Established barns often sell or lease some really nice money-earning horses for reasonable prices during break. This can be a great opportunity to build your stable. That's good news, except you need to have the cash before the break starts, so you have the next 3 weeks to earn, baby, earn.

Some tips, and the fun news bit:

First, there will probably be some stakes races at Trial Park in Week 16, so make sure you have your better horses ready-to-go for that week. Second, there is a special race series for geldings coming up (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52619), so watch the claimers and the sales page for horses that might fit those conditions. Older stakes geldings are often entered in cheaper claiming races, and could turn a quick profit for you.

Finally, the fun news. Writing articles can earn your barn up to $80k per week, which means that you can earn up to $240k in spending money in the final three weeks of the season. Plus, with all the year-end stakes races, awards, and new horses retiring to stud there is plenty of material to draw from! Each time you write an aricle over the next three weeks, post a link to it here on this thread (New Players only, please). At the end of Week 16, I will annouce a first, second, and third place winner based on the articles I liked best. First place gets their pick from the 3 colts below, second chooses next, and third place will be awarded the remaining colt. You can keep these to race, or auction them off for a little extra spending money. All are out of "star" broodmares and sired by the proven (and pensioning) Blue Bayou. Good luck!

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1459486

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1459484

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1459487
Mark Mclaughlin
Sprinter

Re: Bad news, good news, and fun news

Post by Mark Mclaughlin »

Thanks for taking the time, Kelly. A nice gesture.
Ali Sills
Turf Router

Post by Ali Sills »

On what day will horses age up? This is my first break after actively racing. I’m excited but nervous 😬

PS I also purposefully planned a vacation during the break to not get behind on there game… addicted? Noooo.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Ali Sills wrote: 2 years ago On what day will horses age up? This is my first break after actively racing. I’m excited but nervous 😬

PS I also purposefully planned a vacation during the break to not get behind on there game… addicted? Noooo.
Friday Oct 22 at noon per the calendar. Gallops open 12 hours later than that though, at midnight. Except we beg and whine and sometimes it’s earlier. And the mobile version of the game works well. There is no escape my friend.
Mara Jade Vess
Miler

Post by Mara Jade Vess »

Articles may be posted in the Preseason time of the year. The only time you cannot submit them is the official Break time from Oct 16th starting after results to Oct 22 when the year officially turns over.
At Stud
Chuck Tingle – DR
$7,500
Dream All Day – DR
$12,500

Coming Soon
Y59: Sunrise inthe Dawn – AWR
Y60: Faded Memory – DR

A Complete Historical Guide to the Louisville Derby
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Mara Jade Vess wrote: 2 years ago Articles may be posted in the Preseason time of the year. The only time you cannot submit them is the official Break time from Oct 16th starting after results to Oct 22 when the year officially turns over.
Thanks Mara!
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Ah- a very practical and informative entry :)
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

oooo I like articles about pedigrees and breeding stock