Breeding question

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Breeding question

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Is there a difference between A nick Formidable mare vs an A nick hen or star mares?

Like is an A nick just that no matter what? Or does the Hen have a better chance of giving that A nick?
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Re: Breeding question

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

This is the kind of question that probably only the Steward really knows the answer to. I can partially answer, maybe others will help.

I've not been here long but I have never seen a flat A nick from a formidable mare in the divisions I race in. So, if a formidable can get an A at all, it probably wouldn't be with very many stallions. A hen is more likely to hypo A with multiple stallions, because she brings more to the table genetically. In fact, I will hypo my retired mares with one or two of the best stallions in their divisions rather than asking for their BSA comment. If a hypo to a top horse doesn't produce at least an A-, I don't bother with the BSA because I suspect that the mare is no better than a formidable. If the best she can do is a B, she goes straight to AJ.

There was an article a while back about how different divisions have differen hypo results. You might search for that if interested.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Not all A hypos are created equal just like not all mares are equal either. Flat A hypo is not uncommon with formidables in harness and other mixers, with top studs.
;p
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Thanks all!!
Yes its a QH I got the A nick
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll:
Mr. Lord Rich
Hall of Fame

Post by Mr. Lord Rich »

Anthony Zappulla wrote: 2 years ago Thanks all!!
Yes its a QH I got the A nick
It is worth a breed or three. Anything can happen, just try to keep expecting levels in check and you will never be upset at the resulting foal.
A CAVAL DONATO NON SI GUARDA IN BOCCA
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Thanks Pietro I will take that advice