My horse is usually last

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
David Robinson
Two Year Old

My horse is usually last

Post by David Robinson »

So I ship horse to a farm after a race.. move to close park 2 days before race..they are mostly good horses I claimed..but they still finish last.....anything I'm doing wrong or not doing. Ty
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Re: My horse is usually last

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Post link to the races
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

Check that you're matching them to surfaces and distances they like. E.g. this horse just ran an all weather sprint, but his pedigree is strictly turf route https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1351889. Running horses outside of their preferred distance/surface type (by which I mean turf, dirt, all weather; they are less sensitive about weather preferences) will severely handicap them. Some horses do have ability in multiple divisions, which is usually evident by their pedigree, but otherwise you want to keep them in their one division unless you see an empty race where last place still guarantees a chunk of free money.
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

And use Trial Park when you can, it varies over time depending on how many dominant newbies are around but usually the competition is a bit softer there.
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Katie Stepanian »

So I’ve looked at the races at TP and your results.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1544913 This horse will be in no way fit enough to run well in a race, it hasn’t done much training at all. It needs scheduled gallops for several weeks to get it fit.

The other horse in the same race you bought for $2 so I doubt it’s gallop comment is very good. You want to be aiming for productive and up, but really allowance and up as that will stand you in better stead for doing well in races.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1544800 Also not fit to run.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1497292 Tired, give a three week break before next race.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1391015 Probably a low gallop comment look at SFs.

https://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.ph ... ID=1454187 Overworked, leave three weeks before racing.

You said you have bought good horses but looking at what you’ve paid for them, I really doubt that their gallop comments and past performances show that. Some are making you money as lots of races at TP this year have few runners, but really I’d look on the recommended page and get yourself some allowances if you can.

Edit: also as mentioned before, horses need to be running on their preferred surface and distance to perform well.

It’s a lot to get your head around but keep asking questions and you’ll get there!
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Nicole Marie
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Nicole Marie »

And keep in mind that, on top of getting the horse type right (turf router, etc), there will still be variations, usually based on genetics, as to the distance they can run. Not all turf routers are going to be equally effective at a 1 1/8 as they will be going 1 1/2, for example. But firstly just make sure they're on their preferred surface and in their general preferred category, then look at the pedigree to figure out their specific preferred distance.
Notacatbutalawyer 16: 8-3-1, earnings of $381,300 Founder Stakes, Flat Out Stakes, Lexington Race Course Stakes, Dade County Classic, Sunshine State Stakes, Distorted Reality Stakes, Midnight in the Sahara Stakes
Meghan Kingsley
Sprinter

Post by Meghan Kingsley »

Bear in mind the gallop comments can be....off. I have a lot of horses rated 'allowance' that can barely eek it out in cheap claimers. Have you upgraded to a simperior account? If at all possible, do so. The ability to set the type of race for each horse as you do your research helps; then only those types of races pop up when you're entering races. And there's variability in that, too. A horse that's a turf sprinter might do well at 6F but not at 7F. Look at pedigree and past performances and workout times. Your horses need to be fully fit to race well. If the horse hasn't been jogged recently, I've found the gallop comment can say 'allowance/fully fit' and then if you jog the horse, you find out the horse has dropped to 'solid/needs training' so then you know the horse needs several weeks of careful work until fully fit, and probably won't do well in an allowance race, so look at claimers. If the horse hasn't been raced every 2-3 weeks, jog any new horse you get and go from there. And if you aren't sure, 'jog' the horse and see what the trainer says. Once the horse is fit, THEN wait a week or two and enter a race. Make sure each horse gets 2-3 weeks between races with no work (other than one shedrow walk-- some people think it helps, others think it doesn't). As a newer player myself, it takes a long time to really figure this game out; I'm nowhere near that yet!