Question about Improves for a Newb

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Emkay Stables
Two Year Old

Question about Improves for a Newb

Post by Emkay Stables »

Hi all!

When you have a "productive" "late bloomer", do you race them in the meantime or do you wait until they peak? Do they still race competitively as a productive as they progress? Again, I am a small newbie stable, so if they will be "productive" in the meantime that would be nice. :)
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Re: Question about Improves for a Newb

Post by Carole Hanson »

You definitely race them. There’s nothing they gain from just sitting in your stable or just by continuing to train them, whereas as they’re racing they can gain valuable experience. To add to this, some horses will only improve after their first or second start though that is quite rare and most horses will change at the usual times (during pre-season or week 9).

I would also add that there’s no need to protect this horse from claimers, for example, even if they’re a late bloomer. Big gallop jumps are not that common, and I’ve seen horses reach their peak but stay in the same gallop range many times before. The only exception is if your horse has pedigree you would like to hold onto.

Hope that helps!
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

While you still have access to restricted tracks like Trial Park and Jr High, it is good to remember that any horse can finish last in any division. But, if the fields are small enough, i.e. 0-3 other horses in the race, last place can still be profitable. This can be a good job for lower-galloping horses as well.
Emkay Stables
Two Year Old

Post by Emkay Stables »

Thanks guys!! :)