Running Lines for Dummies (Updated)

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Katarah Simones
Two Year Old

Re: Running Lines for Dummies (Updated)

Post by Katarah Simones »

I got this line yesterday.

Broke Inwards, Mid pack, saved ground, retreated.

Does retreated mean that the horse was just tired, or does equipment need to be adjusted?
My iPhone case is a lion and I found my exit buddy. We're good.
T.D. Palm
Grade 3 Winner

Post by T.D. Palm »

If you worked this horse with different equipment (assuming you got at least one piece by using the "tell me about equipment" section in the "train your horse" section) and you've determined the proper equipment for him/her, then that running line may mean he just tired. If you haven't determined the right equipment then a running line such as you said , could mean an addition of lasix or possibly a tongue tie.
It's better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it.
Kay O. Johnson
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Kay O. Johnson »

or no whip or earmuffs
T.D. Palm
Grade 3 Winner

Post by T.D. Palm »

Kay O. Johnson wrote:or no whip or earmuffs
:roll:
Yeah, right....maybe it's a shadow roll or blinkers
Hmmmm...could be front or hind bandages.
It's better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it.
Katniss Evergreen
Two Year Old

Post by Katniss Evergreen »

I ran one of my fillies in her first race and her line was "broke well reserved between horses saved ground retreated". I know what they mean, mostly, but retreated I need some help for. My filly did well then towards the end she seemed to give no effort in trying to catch the others ("retreated"). Can I do anything to make her run better next time? Is she shy of the whip?
Steve Lee
Sprinter

Post by Steve Lee »

When a comment says 'late' does that mean it's running on late in the race, as is it wants further distance?
Kim Plausible
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kim Plausible »

It means time-wise it was late in the race. It could mean that the horse wants further distance or it could just mean that it's a closer and it rallied late. It's hard to interpret the running line without seeing the race!
Send me requests for Feature Race articles!
"Thinking for me rarely ends in fewer than 300 words."
Frank Wiley
Two Year Old

Post by Frank Wiley »

Kim Plausible wrote:If you got into the game because you have a mild interest in horse racing, but maybe don't know all the terminology, hopefully this will help. This list does NOT indicate what to do with a horse's equipment based on running line; it just defines the terms. Please don't hesitate to correct me on a definition or add to the list by replying. b^__^

Please could you also define 'fanned out' ?

Running Line Terms Defined

Angled In (Out) -- Moved inside or outside at the request of the rider.

Bore Out (Bore In) -- Failed to maintain straight course, not by request of jockey.

Broke (Break) -- How a horse begins a race out of the gate.

Broke Out (Broke Outward) -- A horse comes out of the gate at a weird angle. 1

Bid (Make a bid) -- Moved up and challenged for position.

Bobbled start -- Stumbled out of the gate.

Brushed -- Horse collided lightly with another horse.

Bumped -- Horse collided with another horse.

Checked -- A horse is pulled up by his jockey for an instant, often because he is cut off or in tight quarters.

Closing (Closed) -- Gained ground on leaders.

Crowded at Start -- Horses on either side of this horse angled in on the break, causing the horse to hesitate and have no where to run.

Continued run off the rail -- Horse was not running on the inside rail.

Distanced -- Finishing a long distance behind the winner, or far behind the rest of the field.

Driving -- Urged strongly by jockey. "Driving to wire."

Dropped Out -- Horse drops out of contention, most often due to exhaustion or injury.

Dueled -- Battled for position with another horse.

"Easily" -- Running or wining without pressure from the opposition.

"Evenly" -- Held position in stretch without gaining any significant ground.

Faltered -- A horse that is in contention drops back in the late stages.

Fell to knees - Like it says. This is a random occurrence generated when you enter a race.

Flatten Out -- When a horse drops his head and slows considerably, generally from exhaustion. (The horse's top line is "flat.")

Flashed Speed -- Moved up to the lead early on without rider encouragement.

"Gamely" -- See "willingly." Going along with energy.

Gave Way -- The horse was running hard but it simply wasn't good enough as the other horses passed it. The horse then drops behind and quits trying.

Hand ride -- When the jockey urges with reins and seat rather than whip, indicates ease of run.

Hard Lane -- Running at a place on the track where it is hard to make a move.

Held (Hard Held) -- Kept from running at full speed by jockey to avoid tiring out early.

Hung -- Rider asked horse to move past rivals but the horse refused to pass.

"Impressively" -- Normally indicates a long lead.

Kept to task stretch -- Under the rider's whip the horse stayed focused and ran on to the wire.

Lagged -- Ran at the back of the pack.

Late -- Refers to the last leg of the race.

Looked for room -- A horse that is willing to run looks for a break in the horses in front of him to make a bid for position.

Loomed -- Ran close enough to leaders to present a challenge.

Make a run, Make a bid, Make a move -- Horse moves up and challenges for position.

Missed -- Just missed taking the lead. (?)

nck -- Ahead by a neck.

No rally -- Horse fails to move up from behind at jockey's urging.

No response -- Horse fails to respond to jockey's cues.

ns -- Ahead by a nose.

Outfinished -- The horse was trying hard to keep up with his rivals and showed heart but simply wasn't fast enough

Powerfully -- Normally indicates a nice lead.

Prevailed under Urging -- The jockey was whipping and driving the horse as it gamely outfinished its rivals.

Rally -- To make a bid from behind at jockey's urging.

Rank -- When a horse is unmanageable by the jockey, refuses to settle and runs without respect to pace.

Rushed up -- Moves from back or midfield to front of the pack.

Second Flight -- In the second group of horses, not racing with the leaders.

Settled -- Horse is unhurried and gains his best stride.

Sluggish start -- The horse wasn't paying attention when the gates opened and broke slowly.

"Smartly" -- Quickly.

Speed (Showed speed, flashed speed) -- The horse shows speed, even if they don't make a run for contention.

Steadied -- Horse is slowed by rider to keep from running up on horses in front of him or to keep from tiring.

Stretch -- Refers to the straightaway before the wire.

"Strongly" -- Horse is running well but with more effort than "easily."

Taken Up (Taken In, Taken Back) -- A horse is pulled up by his jockey.

Trail -- Racing immediately behind another horse. "Trailed the leaders."

Tucked in -- Moved in close to inside railing.

Urged -- Horse was asked by rider to move forward or exude more effort.

Veered outside -- Like "bore outside," horse fails to maintain a straight course.

Wide turns -- Not necessarily bad, but wide turns don't conserve ground.

"Willingly" -- Responding well to jockey's cues.

Mixed Breed Specific - Appaloosas, Paints, and Quarter Horses
Exploded - An impressive finish.

Advice from the Pros
Running Line Help -- by various SIMsters
Chasing Running Lines and Equipment
Running Lines

Other Topics of Help
Work Out Help

The Steward Has Been Sighted
Seen here.
Madeline Gilbert: Any tips for fixing "lagging" or "lagged early"?

Steward: Those kinds of things you can't fix - the horse's running style is to come from behind.
Also quoted by the Steward, though I can't find where, "Stumbled" is a random occurrence that happens to every horse at some point, and can't be fixed with equipment.

Regarding Vet Visits, seen here.
Actually, in that specific case, those are all completely different things.

Fitness is that fine line between too much rest and too little rest. Such as, some horses like to run every 2, 3, or 4 weeks, and if a horse likes to run every 2, then every 4 is a complete disaster for the horse unless you are working it, too.

Sharpness is pretty close to fitness, but sharpness indicates that ONE day where the horse is ready to go NOW.... I believe another game measures horse energy levels by calling them "Groggy, Ready to Run, and SHARP!" which is everyone's favorite comment, but isn't ready to run.

Energy is simply how tired the horse is, which doesn't really have to do with fitness; that's more like shipping around and how tired that made the horse, or whether or not the horse bounced back from his last race. THAT IS THE ONLY THING THE VET MEASURES.

Peak is a word describing the best form of the three previous things. If a horse is at its peak energy wise, that means it is very rested, but that has nothing to do with FITNESS.
Steward answered a question by Melissa Mae:
Melissa: Ok, stupid question. I have been noticing 2 running lines at the break that have me confused. One says broke outwards and the other one says broke out. Does the broke out one mean that they broke out of the gate before the race or do they both mean broke outwards?

Steward: Good question - it means they both broke from the gate at a kind of weird angle.
Steward answered a question by Dan Gordon:
Dan: Do you think there is any correlation between the Sire and Dam's preferences for certain equipment or is it apples and oranges?

Steward: Each horse's preference is generated for that horse randomly not related to anything else.
Frank Wiley
Two Year Old

Post by Frank Wiley »

Please can you define the term "lugged out" :?
Alleyne Torres
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Alleyne Torres »

Frank Wiley wrote:Please can you define the term "lugged out" :?
That means they didn't run straight but went sideways. Like drifting out but more severe. I take lugging in/out to mean they need blinkers, figure 8, or no whip. Ie. the stronger figure 8 bridle to give the jockey more control, or take away the whip if the horse is running sideways away from the whip.
Paint Stallions Standing. Horses for Sale. Feel free to PM me about gallop/bs/foal comments of my sale horses.
Frank Wiley
Two Year Old

Post by Frank Wiley »

Alleyne Torres wrote:
Frank Wiley wrote:Please can you define the term "lugged out" :?
That means they didn't run straight but went sideways. Like drifting out but more severe. I take lugging in/out to mean they need blinkers, figure 8, or no whip. Ie. the stronger figure 8 bridle to give the jockey more control, or take away the whip if the horse is running sideways away from the whip.
Thank you Alleyne, now makes sense
Frank :)
Elphaba Thropp
Miler

Post by Elphaba Thropp »

What if my horse always either says "drifted out" or "lugged in", but it says that the only equipment it needs is a tongue tie. Should I still try running him with blinkers?

http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=615779
Standing...
Kiumars - $1000
All Weather Miler/ Steeplechaser
Robbie Dee
Classic Contender

Post by Robbie Dee »

Had a recent race comment

" Bobbled break rushed up split rivals no rally"

does that mean he stumbled at the start then moved up between horses and then had nothing left at the finish as he was tired ?
(horse hadn't run since last season and never had much training before the race.)
some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue
Cindy Saunders
Miler

Post by Cindy Saunders »

This fantastic!! :!: :)
Good Luck and Happy Racing, :lol:
Cindy Saunders!

http://www.facebook.com/cynthia.m.saunders
Emma Monster
Two Year Old