Running Lines for Dummies (Updated)

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Eric Nalbone
Hall of Fame

Re: Running Lines for Dummies (Updated)

Post by Eric Nalbone »

I'll get it stickied as soon as I can find Emily to help! My only complaint with the new message board is that us mods can't sticky things!
Katie Grenier
Classic Contender

Post by Katie Grenier »

I was wondering if anyone was thinking of or in the process of explaining the other running lines for mixed breeds for the new players. Lines such as "Outkicked", "Drifted In/Out", "Broke In/Out", "Lugged Out", "Outwards", "Left Behind", and any others I've forgotten to list.

I think with the addition of the new breeds that the runnings lines that do not appear on the TB side of the game should be explained for new players who've just signed up and those of us who do not have a clue about other racing breeds.
Especially if those players do not have any knowledge about horse racing (TB or otherwise) besides their passion of horses and that they get to "watching the pretty horses run and see the best horses win the race." Not to mention that they do not know anything past the basic racing equipment that is used and what they've heard being explained and somewhat remember seeing on TV (no offense to anyone as I was and pretty much still am one of those players).

I really think having something like what you've done for the Thoroughbreds, while I know it would more than likely be a shorter list for the Mixed Breeds (Appaloosas, Paints, Arabians, Quarter Horses, and Standardbreds Pacers/Trotters) would really be helpful to those players who are like myself that haven't even seen another breed of horse race other than Thoroughbreds.

I would even be willing to do research to help in putting a list together to have available for new players and on the Mixed Breed Racing area of the forum. That way, if anyone has any questions they would like to add about the list or a racing line that hasn't been explained then they would be able to do so on the Mixed Breed area of the forum. :)
Enigmatic Dreams LLC
Breeder of Rush Tu Dis Miss
The Only Grade 1 Winning Son Standing by Green Dash
Please Visit Inspiration Stud or Nikki Sherman For More
Information on Rush Tu Dis Miss's stud fee and breeding availability.
Kim Plausible
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kim Plausible »

I had every intention of getting into the Mixed Breeds and doing this list, but I just can't get into it at all and have given away or sold all but one of my own, which was a gift. I think it would be a great project for people who are already involved, especially for those new players who want to know more about it!
Send me requests for Feature Race articles!
"Thinking for me rarely ends in fewer than 300 words."
John Hannibal Smith
Grade 3 Winner

Post by John Hannibal Smith »

I would be happy to pen the definitions for the mixed breed running lines. I see that the list a few posts above has many of the QH lines, but I'm not certain what the exhaustive list includes. I'm sure that there are a few indiginous to standardbreds, so if there is some way to put together a reasonably thorough compilation of lines from both breeds, or maybe from each breed rather, it should be pretty quick and easy to get a useful glossary put together.
Des Walker
Derby Contender

Post by Des Walker »

I have the running line "bested the others" at the end of the race in a horse that came third. It sounds like the horse has beaten the others but clearly that isn't the case. Any ideas?
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

The only horse I see of yours with the "bested the others" comment that was third indeed bested the others. It means bested the rest of the horses in the race, like, tried harder than them, finished way ahead of them, was running forward while they were running backwards, etc.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Des Walker
Derby Contender

Post by Des Walker »

Well it only finished a length and a quarter in front of 4th but it came out of the pack to finish there.

4 3/4 behind first call, 9 1/4 behind second call, 5 1/2 third, 2 1/4 at the finishing post.

So I guess this means that the horse has run on to finish there, maybe with a better break would have been closer. Thanks for the reply.
Kia Dawn
Miler

Post by Kia Dawn »

i like this
Kim Plausible
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kim Plausible »

Thanks Kia, I'm glad it's still useful.
Matt Feldman
Turf Router

Post by Matt Feldman »

I see the line "moved between horses" in many running lines. Does that mean anything useful in terms of understanding the race?
Act Out Multiple Grade 1 Winning Dirt Miler - $10,000

Many Names Multiple Grade 1 Winning Dirt Miler - $10,000
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Hi Matt,

It's just telling you where the jockey went, either angled in, went wide, or moved in between.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Frances Krell
Turf Router

Post by Frances Krell »

This guide is so helpful, thanks to Kimberly for writing it!
Kim Plausible
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kim Plausible »

I'm really glad it helps!
Pekka Malmberg I
Two Year Old

Post by Pekka Malmberg I »

What means outkicked ?

I got two results today with a frase:
Broke well outkicked
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Pekka Malmberg wrote:What means outkicked ?

I got two results today with a frase:
Broke well outkicked
This means that your horses did not finish as well as the other horses did in the later part of the races.
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder