Stable size for a newbie

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Mark Castles
Two Year Old

Stable size for a newbie

Post by Mark Castles »

Hi All newbie here and working through it finding my feet.
Thought I'd ask what size of stable would be a good amount to start for a new player?
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Re: Stable size for a newbie

Post by Carole Hanson »

I personally think about 50-100 active racehorses would be the most manageable and profitable at the same time. But I have seen players before with thousands of horses who end up making lots of money quickly. The issue is, lots of them then find it hard to transition to smaller numbers, because it’s all just overwhelming and because you get afraid of losing money. And then what happens is they end up quitting which none of us want to see. So I would say try not to start too big.

Good luck!
Maisy Moo Stable
Sprinter

Post by Maisy Moo Stable »

I am only new myself ,there are about 35 races a week at trial park, so 70 would give you 2weeks worth with 1 in each race,140 would give you 2 in each race if you can find them.
3yr colts/filly are the ones to look for with low or no wins
Check the tracks upcoming races to see the horses you need,

Only my take on it.
Mark Castles
Two Year Old

Post by Mark Castles »

Thanks both for the reply :)
Meghan Kingsley
Sprinter

Post by Meghan Kingsley »

A lot depends on time. I don't have hours each day to devote to the game--- I need to be able to log in for 15 or 20 minutes, get done what needs to be done, and sometimes I'll have a couple hours on a weekend, so several hundred or a thousand horses is completely unmanageable. I've found that much more than about 100 means I fall behind on entries and training.

Once you get out of Trial Park, it becomes harder to earn money, so I'd recommend earning as much as you can at TP and spending as little as you can, because in order to be competitive as you move up the levels, especially in the dirt divisions, you'll need a lot of available funds and you might need to dump the majority of your TP horses because they won't be competitive at other tracks. You'll need to be able to purchase, claim, or breed competitive horses-- all of which can cost a big money outlay before you see a return.
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

I also think it depends on your personality. If you enjoy researching, and going into depth and detail of everything you do, it would mean that you pretty much have to run a smaller stable during the first few years unless you have oceans of time. :)

My advice would be to thread lightly and slowly. Take your time to figure out whether you'd rather go for quality or quantity until you can do both.
By the end of the day, the best amount of horses to run during a week are the amount of horses you enjoy entering, training and ship back and forth, and that amount varies depending on each player's personality and amount of time they may invest in the game.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

Write articles and read everything and make money. You’ll need it.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Go hog wild and race as many horses as you can at trial park. Balls to the walls, jam out with your clam out, let’s do this. Then you can scale back after you made all the big bucks. Just a suggestion, certainly a commitment you have to be ready for.
;p
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Mark Castles wrote: 11 months ago Hi All newbie here and working through it finding my feet.
Thought I'd ask what size of stable would be a good amount to start for a new player?
As Mr. Lord Chillin said - when you're at Trial Park just race every horse you can get your hands on. That will build the financial cushion you'll need once you graduate to the main game.

For the longer term, I would say it's not really a hard number (like "100 horses") and more a question of how many divisions you want to get involved in. If you want to breed the horses you race, about 20 mares for each division will give you a good start without overwhelming you with too much to do. If you build up to 20 mares in a division and you find yourself wanting to do more, you can decide whether to add another division or go bigger in the division(s) you're already in.

Welcome to the sim and good luck!
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Mark Castles
Two Year Old

Post by Mark Castles »

Thanks all for the advice 😃 appreciate it.
Anyone from Australia?
Hope Bentley
Eclipse Champion

Post by Hope Bentley »

Hi Mark, Welcome… I am also from Australia! :)

Stallions
*Silver Kitty Cat
*Macha Taima
*Rockin to the Stars & more
Past Stallions
*Black Wolf *Blue Montana Gold *Fire Fire *Streakin Goldstrip
*Bear Encounter *Blood Red Sun *Held High and other greats
Gwen Morse
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Gwen Morse »

Mark Castles wrote: 11 months ago Thanks all for the advice 😃 appreciate it.
Anyone from Australia?
I'm an American but I live in Australia :D. I think Cleo Patra is an Aussie, and maybe Peter Quill too?
--
my swap mares: https://tinyurl.com/35jk5aah
Regina Moore's new player articles (not mine) https://www.simhorseracing.com/featurer ... pleID=5100
Mark Castles
Two Year Old

Post by Mark Castles »

Good to hear Hope and Gwen
Nice to know there's some local presence 😆