Should I Scratch This Filly?

Advice and Other Goodies for Newbies
Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Callie Anderson
Classic Contender

Post by Callie Anderson »

I have entered <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/horse.php?HorseID=52680' target='_blank'>Wheely Heavenbound</a> in the <a href='http://www.simhorseracing.com/race.php?RaceID=45600' target='_blank'>Bringing Up Baby Stakes</a>.

I don't know if I should keep her in the race or if I should scratch her and look at races with more distance.

If you were me what would you do?

Thanks!
"We may not have it all together but together but together we have it all"
Alex Puderbaugh
Hall of Fame

Post by Alex Puderbaugh »

Honestly, scratch her and look for a longer race :).
Brianna: I just wanted something with balls.. :D
Inca Stables
Eclipse Champion

Post by Inca Stables »

Scratch and wait till Week 7 or 8 when the races become longer.

Miryam
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

I'm curious about this, too, since I also have a horse in this race. I think I read somewhere on this forum that sometimes it is okay to race a 2-year-old potential router in one of the shorter races but to just not put too much into the result. I think it was said, something like, if it's between a workout or a race you might as well race them.

The horse I am running is "Tears of Rage" out of the BEAUTIFUL stallion Righteous (who started his career in a 5 furlong race as a 2-year-old)and the game filly "Letthetearsfall". "Tears of Rage" was given to me as a wonderful gift from Paul Heinrich and I don't want to do anything that might be bad for this beautiful filly.

So is it not a good idea for me to run her in this race? I appreciate any help, believe me. Are there pros and cons to something like this?

Thank you for any help!!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nikki Everdeen
Hall of Fame

Post by Nikki Everdeen »

It's been said that running a router in a sprint can definitely cause the route horse to lose confidence.
Inspiration Stud
Standing quality Appaloosas, Arabians, Paints, Quarter Horses, and Thoroughbreds
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Thank you for this, Nikki. I'm probably not going to run my 2-year-old router either. It's only a few weeks until the longer races, I'll be patient. Should I maybe give her another workout instead? Would that be good for anything or is it just as well not to?

Thank you!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mac Silver
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Mac Silver »

ive also heard that it can give you a hint as to what equipment the horse might like for future races at the horses preferred (bred for) distance. I hope to hear more feed back on this topic.
As Ben Franklin once said, "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria."
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

I wouldn't say running a router in a sprint makes the horse lose confidence - IMO, it's not the running that hurts, it's the losing. And it's not universal, some horses seem to bounce back pretty well.

I don't hesitate to run a good router in a sprint field with no obvious high-class sprinters. Those races have been very tough to find in open competition these last two seasons, but restricted races (like those at Trial Park) can still come up pretty light. For this race in particular, there are a couple fillies bred to sprint, and they will give the routers problems. But in a big field like that, it's always hard to say.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews