Crazy Turf Sprint Lady's SC Contest!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Crazy Turf Sprint Lady's SC Contest!

Post by Laura Smith »

Yes, that's me, shouting about turf sprinters at anyone who will listen; and yes, it's time for the richest, exotic-est, turf-sprintin'-est contest the SIM has ever seen.

More than $6 MILLION sim-dollars are on the line here, plus a Steward-bred turf sprinter that you very much want, no matter who you are.
Anyone can play, and everyone should play. It's free, it's fun, and it's different than any other contest I've ever seen here.
The turf sprint races this year are INSANELY competitive and super challenging to handicap, which is why this is going to be super cool.

Couple things that I want to mention before I link to the actual contest:

Please only enter using the form, and please don't submit more than one form. This form provider is only "free" for a certain number of submissions; I'm prepared to pay a little real money if I have to, but if I don't have to, then great. If you submit a form and need to change your answers, PM me in-game. If the form legit does not work for you, PM me in-game.

You have until SC Thursday, W16D4, at 7AM PST to fill out the form. This will give me time to post some fun stats about the selections before I go to work.
However, if you need to change your picks for the Friday races after that time, you have until 7AM PST on the following day, SC Friday, W16D5 to send me your changes by in-game PM only.

I think that's it! Here it is!
CONTEST!!! Wooooo!

Rules and prizes are discussed on the first page. I'll gladly field any questions! Have fun!
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Re: Crazy Turf Sprint Lady's SC Contest!

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

These memes are a thing of beauty
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Post by Andrea Bouwkamp »

I am still confused on how to distribute the points in this contest. I picked two for each race but do not know where to assign the points. Is the pick 4 based on your picks for each race? The two horses for each race must come in “exact” order like a straight exacta? Or do they both count for your pick?
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

There are multiple bets in this contest (if I did it correctly?) The first is top two for each of the four races listed and has a bet of 15 points (unless this is your big bet and you can add more). Next is the trifecta bet worth 15 points, then another exacta bet for 15, etc. Just read and re-read the instructions, there is a drop down box for each bet. You can go back and modify as needed. It wasn't an easy concept of picks and bets but hang in there, you'll probably win it all.

Good luck
Keith
*Sugar Bottom Stable
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

I think I figured it out. Thanks.
Last edited by Andrea Bouwkamp 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

I tried to lay it out as clearly as possible, but I know it's a little complicated; I'll try to restate in different words here. Did you click the dropdown areas that describe the rules in detail? :)

So you're allocated 100 "points" to "bet" on the different "events," of which there are five: one P4 that spans all the races, plus separate bets for every individual race.

You have to bet a minimum of 15 points on every event, which adds up to 75. The remaining 25 points are yours to do with as you will, i.e. use them to increase your bet(s) on whatever you think is/are the surest thing(s).

So for the first "event", the Pick 4, you may select two horses as potential winners of each race. You place your "bet" using the dropdown box at the bottom of the page. With that one bet, you're betting that you'll have picked the winners of all four races.
Then on the next four pages, you'll make your choices for the other exotic bets on the four individual races. Same concept.

Does that help at all? :)
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

The trifecta and further bets are on the next pages of the form.

The total wagers boxes are automatically calculated to help you keep a running total of all your bets throughout the contest without you having to keep track. They will update as you select wagers from the dropdown boxes on every page. It took me a long time to make the form do that properly so I'm pretty proud of it :lol:
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Thanks. I figured it out. I feel so stupid...(blushing)
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

All good. Glad it's all figured out now!
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Laura, I enjoyed doing the entries for that contest. That odd 'pick finisher number 6' made me laugh.
Picking exactas are so hard.. when I use to bet, I always did boxed exactas and trifectas for that reason...but it makes for a fun challenge for this game.

I also just bet as suggested, the 15 points, and the bare minimum 5 points on those other bets, then used the back button, once I saw how many points I had left, to go and increase the bets I felt more confident in. The form and process went smoothly. So, thanks so much for the hard work you put in making up the form and the bet combos...this really is a crazy fun contest!

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Stormy Peak wrote: 6 years ago Laura, I enjoyed doing the entries for that contest. That odd 'pick finisher number 6' made me laugh.
Picking exactas are so hard.. when I use to bet, I always did boxed exactas and trifectas for that reason...but it makes for a fun challenge for this game.

I also just bet as suggested, the 15 points, and the bare minimum 5 points on those other bets, then used the back button, once I saw how many points I had left, to go and increase the bets I felt more confident in. The form and process went smoothly. So, thanks so much for the hard work you put in making up the form and the bet combos...this really is a crazy fun contest!

Stormy
Thanks! I've really enjoyed it and I'm so glad people find it fun. So often I've wished I could play exotics in this game, so I thought I could at least make my wish come true for other people :lol:
Rebecca Rose Hepburn wrote: 6 years ago These memes are a thing of beauty
Thanks, glad some people get the reference ;) I thought it was an apt comparison...
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

Will there be a list of how many points, and what prizes, each one gets?
I forgot to save my picks so I cant check to see if I did good.

/Polk Buffalo
Polk Buffalo Stallions
Yoboki Arabian Router 40k
Blue Daub Adee Appy Mid 20k

and many more...
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Yes and yes. I doubt I'll get to it before Sunday or Monday though.
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Results are in!

This was a hard SC to pick, and the results reflected that. No one hit the P4 (though Sten was close, with SYM's nose defeat being his ruination in the end) and no one hit the super, though Ali and Michael McGuire both had all the top four horses, though the wrong one in the top spot.

I'd planned to be able to pay out to potentially 40 to 50 50 point earners or thereabouts, but in reality only 6 players broke the 20 point barrier and even the winner "only" scored 35.
So having 6m plus in the pot, with a total of 405k fixed returns to pay out, I briefly toyed with the idea of increasing all fixed payouts by 10x but ultimately decided it wouldn't be fair to the winners to deviate from my posted rules. I did, however, decide to pay out to 20th place as the pool ended up being twice as much as the 3m or so that I'd planned for.

Soooo... the winner of the top money prize and the awesome Steward-bred is...
STEN RINO HAAKONSEN! Sten was not only the only player to hit the exacta, but was either lucky or astute or both, betting large amounts of points on the final race mini-events and those horses came through for him.

Top new player award goes to Ana Mori! She wins a stakes-winning 2YO from my racing barn.

Full results can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

If you calculated your points differently or have any issue with the results you have 24 hours to let me know. At 1PM PST tomorrow, Tuesday the 19th, these results will be official and I will start distributing prizes.

TO CLAIM YOUR PRIZE, starting tomorrow at this time, lease me a horse for the correct amount (the bolded "total payout" column at the far right.)

Thanks everyone for playing, and double thanks to those that donated generously. Hope to do something like this again someday!