Official Random Crap Thread

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Re: Official Random Crap Thread

Post by The Steward »

It's hard to fathom doctors being so fallible, but I know that I'm tired, cranky, overwhelmed, and just wanting to get on with my day most of the time. So it stands to reason that a doctor, with all the best intentions, could be the same way and overlook things too... more often than we'd like. Advocate!!!

Health and happiness to all :-)
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Anne Conradt
Derby Contender

Post by Anne Conradt »

CFS --- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

It's got to be the most missed diagnosis of all time.
:arrow: I always pay attention when Eric Hamme talks about horses running in Maryland.
Lily Miles March
Miler

Post by Lily Miles March »

You gotta be careful with a CFS diagnosis as well though! My mom was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome 20 years ago. She actually had a congenital defect in her lung that was causing very low blood oxygen (she spent her entire life doing altitude training, essentially). She had a big operation a month ago to get a third of her lung out, but now her oxygen is normal for the first time ever. That's after almost 20 years spent in bed (two thirds of my life!) and losing a job, house, and much more. Unbelievable looking back - and could have been found with one quick PAT test (she even did have one once, and the nurse said the machine must have been broken, or she'd be dead). Hindsight is 20/20.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

My 2yo is still learning to talk, but I’ve noticed lately that sometimes his nonsense words sound like horse names..like just now he was playing with a Lego brick separator and saying what sounded like “Tahoe”, and yesterday I’m pretty sure he was saying Kitasan Black...

Either that or I’m just hearing what I want 😂
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 5 years ago My 2yo is still learning to talk, but I’ve noticed lately that sometimes his nonsense words sound like horse names..like just now he was playing with a Lego brick separator and saying what sounded like “Tahoe”, and yesterday I’m pretty sure he was saying Kitasan Black...

My mom had 3 girls and 1 boy. I once asked my mom these questions about me and my siblings and the conversation went something like this.

What was the 1st word I said?
Reply: 'mommy'

What was the 1st word my oldest sister said?

And my youngest sister?

And my brother?
Reply: "No"

LOL... I recall being surprised because for some reason I thought my brother's first word might be 'Daddy'. But I guess he was told 'no' so often that ended up being his first word.

I've babysat hundreds of kids in my life and in my opinion, girls are almost always easier than boys...so I ended up seeing that reply as even more funny than when I first heard when I was around 6 years old.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Stormy Peak wrote: 5 years ago
Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 5 years ago My 2yo is still learning to talk, but I’ve noticed lately that sometimes his nonsense words sound like horse names..like just now he was playing with a Lego brick separator and saying what sounded like “Tahoe”, and yesterday I’m pretty sure he was saying Kitasan Black...

My mom had 3 girls and 1 boy. I once asked my mom these questions about me and my siblings and the conversation went something like this.

What was the 1st word I said?

What was the 1st word my oldest sister said?

And my youngest sister?

And my brother?
Reply: "No"

LOL... I recall being surprised because for some reason I thought my brother's first word might be 'Daddy'. But I guess he was told 'no' so often that ended up being his first word.

I've babysat hundreds of kids in my life and in my opinion, girls are almost always easier than boys...so I ended up seeing that reply as even more funny than when I first heard when I was around 6 years old.

Stormy
So cute!!! I’ve definitely heard that girls are easier as toddlers but harder as teens, and that boys are the opposite! Time will tell haha I don’t want to think About teenagers yet :lol:

Both my son and daughter’s first words were Mamma :twisted: I’m winning! Haha

Also my son didn’t start saying no until he was almost 2! Which is unusual I’m told!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Tonight my son screamed for over an hour and told me I was a bad mommy. While my daughter sat there quietly with an overly sweet smile, probably thinking "I'm coming for you in about 6 more years..."
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Kent Saunders
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kent Saunders »

My daughter was an angel until she turned 11, then the trouble started! My son got in alot of trouble until about 11 and then straightened up...lol!
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I've never outgrown the trouble phase.....
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

Sophia Stevenson wrote: 5 years ago You gotta be careful with a CFS diagnosis as well though! My mom was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome 20 years ago. She actually had a congenital defect in her lung that was causing very low blood oxygen (she spent her entire life doing altitude training, essentially). She had a big operation a month ago to get a third of her lung out, but now her oxygen is normal for the first time ever. That's after almost 20 years spent in bed (two thirds of my life!) and losing a job, house, and much more. Unbelievable looking back - and could have been found with one quick PAT test (she even did have one once, and the nurse said the machine must have been broken, or she'd be dead). Hindsight is 20/20.
I missed this discussion, replying a few days late..
1. Is PAT short for oxygen saturation test? When I google PAT test, I just get a test for electrical devices?
(I am just trying to learn here)

2. Glad your mom is better. CFS is a strange diagnosis. There are no real tests to be conducted for CFS. Hence it is almost impossible to convince the insurance companies that the patient is sick. Even some doctors don´t believe that CFS is a disease. I have seen a few cases and even convinced the insurance companies about getting permanent sick leave. (proud of that).

3. Being a doctor, this reminds me of not being so stubborn..
Polk Buffalo Stallions
Yoboki Arabian Router 40k
Blue Daub Adee Appy Mid 20k

and many more...
Anne Conradt
Derby Contender

Post by Anne Conradt »

A doctor who likes to keep insurance companies honest? Hm. Mm. Now, that's hot.

I thought that species had gone way past endangered and was in extinct mode.

Boy, Polk, are you going to be a popular guy here now.

lol. Never tell people you're a doctor ... or an investment banker. (That's not one you want to be at a party, either.)

I predict your PM box overfloweth.

BTW can I send you a PM? Shhh. Bi-lateral ptosis. My insurance co. won't pay. Can you make them? lol. At this price, believe me, it would be worth the trip to Europe.

Oh, and can you put a rush on it, doc? It's this Thursday. Both eyelids. Not just one. Big, big rush.
:arrow: I always pay attention when Eric Hamme talks about horses running in Maryland.
Dylan Christensen
Hall of Fame

Post by Dylan Christensen »

Apparently the lines between SIM and real life are starting to get blurred for me. I was on Equibase and trying to find Buncha Yahoos but he wasn’t hsowing up, then it dawned on me, Buncha Yahoos is a SIM horse so I went and searched him up on SIM and then he was. Boy did I feel smart :roll:
yeah
Anne Conradt
Derby Contender

Post by Anne Conradt »

There's (probably) a medical solution for that.

But if you're not into medical solutions ... or you can't find a doctor who is ... try a couple of natural cures.

(1) Sleep.

(2) Look up Mr. Prospector or Secretariat, et al.
Lily Miles March
Miler

Post by Lily Miles March »

Polk Buffalo wrote: 5 years ago
I missed this discussion, replying a few days late..
1. Is PAT short for oxygen saturation test? When I google PAT test, I just get a test for electrical devices?
(I am just trying to learn here)

2. Glad your mom is better. CFS is a strange diagnosis. There are no real tests to be conducted for CFS. Hence it is almost impossible to convince the insurance companies that the patient is sick. Even some doctors don´t believe that CFS is a disease. I have seen a few cases and even convinced the insurance companies about getting permanent sick leave. (proud of that).

3. Being a doctor, this reminds me of not being so stubborn..
Sorry - I think I mean the pulse oximiter (they called it something for short, I'm not sure what that is now!)

I definitely still believe CFS is real, and my mom's case is very rare (pulmonary arteriovenous malformation) but we had CFS explained to us as a diagnosis of exclusion - you have to rule out quite a few things before labeling it CFS, was my impression. I don't know what would rule out a PAVM other than the oxygen level test, but that seems such an easy thing to do. They also missed the fact she had extremely enlarged red blood cells, which I guess doesn't show up on a normal blood test?

Thank you for helping CFS sufferers. It's such a horrendous thing to be unable to function for years on end and to have people doubt your symptoms.
Anne Conradt
Derby Contender

Post by Anne Conradt »

Sophia, you're absolutely correct.

I just talked to an aunt of mine. (We had dinner in Houston tonight.)

It is a horrible thing to have to live through, she said. I mentioned what you said to her and she had almost the exact same experience as you described. 24 years she's had what she believes is CFS. Countless doctors.

We always just thought she was quiet. She never said much or was very active. She and I were really close, and she never told me she was ill or what she thought it was

She came to Houston to see yet another doctor. She can't even remember how many doctors she's seen about this condition.

This doctor is supposed to ... sympathetic? I guess that's a good word, to hear her tell it.

So we'll see.

Gosh, if she had only told me. I could have helped her? Maybe? In some way.

At least the family would have understood all the times she begged off invitations from holiday celebrations. The missed things with her grandchildren. She had to quit working. Luckily, she married a man who is very financially well off and supportive.

But, still, she is suffering after all these years.

Thank you for posting this, Sophia. It just made her ... open up and finally tell someone in the family.

I hope your mother gets better. It truly struck a chord when I mentioned your posts to her. If it weren't for your posts, I would have never known this about her.

Thanks for sharing.