Official Random Crap Thread

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ashley Gibson
Grade 1 Winner

Re: Official Random Crap Thread

Post by Ashley Gibson »

Lily Wilkins wrote: 4 years ago My grandma gifted me $10,000 via check, which I (stupidly) deposited via mobile banking because i'm a sloth who doesn't put pants on if she doesn't have to.
The check is from an account that was owned jointly by my grandma and my great-grandma (her mom) until great-grandma passed away recently. instead of ordering new checks like a normal person, my grandma just slapped a STICKER with her name on it over the part of the check that had her AND her mom's name. I kinda subconsciously noticed this, but deposited the check anyways. So of course, that deposit got flagged by my bank and they flipped out and locked ALL of my accounts (both of my checking accounts and my savings) forcing me to go in and talk to them.

Two hours (and being made to feel like i'm some sort of sketchy criminal) later, it's all sorted out. I really don't like how I was treated and I am considering changing banks.
HAPPY WEDNESDAY!
Capital One? I recently had the same thing happen with an inheritance check.
"I think it needs to be reiterated that Ashley Gibson is my hero.." - John Slotman (March 4, 2010 0757)

4:16 PM [John Slotman] I don't even know where to start.
4:16 PM [John Slotman] Except I heart Ashley.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Ashley Gibson wrote: 4 years ago
Lily Wilkins wrote: 4 years ago My grandma gifted me $10,000 via check, which I (stupidly) deposited via mobile banking because i'm a sloth who doesn't put pants on if she doesn't have to.
The check is from an account that was owned jointly by my grandma and my great-grandma (her mom) until great-grandma passed away recently. instead of ordering new checks like a normal person, my grandma just slapped a STICKER with her name on it over the part of the check that had her AND her mom's name. I kinda subconsciously noticed this, but deposited the check anyways. So of course, that deposit got flagged by my bank and they flipped out and locked ALL of my accounts (both of my checking accounts and my savings) forcing me to go in and talk to them.

Two hours (and being made to feel like i'm some sort of sketchy criminal) later, it's all sorted out. I really don't like how I was treated and I am considering changing banks.
HAPPY WEDNESDAY!
Capital One? I recently had the same thing happen with an inheritance check.
No BECU, a local credit union that my family and I have banked with for a really long time.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | Leased Out Y66
Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Lily...
Any bank would have done that. To not do so would probably even be illegal for them to ignore and not take those precautions. Banks/credit unions are businesses, not your friend and they have rules they have to follow and they have probably seen a lot of people they have known for a long time try to pull shady deals on them, so they take it seriously.

And credit unions at least don't charge you up the ...... in fees to use Your money. Some banks now require you keep like $300 be left in savings or they charge you a fee from $4 to $10 a month. Plus they often charge up to $25 dollars just to open a savings account. Their checking accounts are probably run along similar lines. I don't know about your credit union, but mine doesn't charge those kinds of fees and their minimum that you must keep in the account to keep it open is $5.00.

I hope you think twice about switching to a bank....at least try to get into another credit union if you can't see the logic behind what your CU did. Your grandma and you both did things wrong that triggered all of this...not on purpose, I know...but look at it this way...

What if, for example...someone did something similar and the bank didn't jump on it.
Say someone with a drug problem or a big gambling debt stole one of their grandma's checks and slapped a different address/name sticker over the printed one on the check and tried to deposit it into their account and the bank did nothing to investigate that funny looking check and that huge amount of money being transferred.
Grandma would have been robbed...a huge chunk of her savings stolen due to the financial institution just shrugging it's shoulders because they (thought) they knew the people involved as they had done business with them for years.

I think that would be way worse than going about it how they had to do with you...even if it does hurt your feelings they did the right thing.

I'm saying this because way back when...I had money stolen from my account by a family member who was addicted to meth and she got away with it because back then our credit union didn't investigate and stop it before it was too late.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

So I am taking a sabbatical - and blogging about it! You can follow me at: let-me-show-you-the-world.com

I am currently in Fresno - off to see Sequoia National Park tomorrow, on to Bakersfield, then a day visit in LA with a friend who is watching our car and then a very early morning flight to China!
I'm just here for the fun of it
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Sounds awesome! Have fun : )

--------
Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Ferguson »

So, I ran a turkey trot race today. I just won the best door prize ever - a Baskin Robbins turkey cake - shaped like a turkey, with oreo ice cream. My husband won a frozen turkey (I already had one in the freezer). We can barely get the freezer door shut with all this stuff in it. Can't wait to bust into it - this cake isn't making it until Thankgiving. I give it an hour before we start in on it.
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Laura Ferguson wrote: 4 years ago So, I ran a turkey trot race today. I just won the best door prize ever - a Baskin Robbins turkey cake - shaped like a turkey, with oreo ice cream. My husband won a frozen turkey (I already had one in the freezer). We can barely get the freezer door shut with all this stuff in it. Can't wait to bust into it - this cake isn't making it until Thankgiving. I give it an hour before we start in on it.
Well, you must make room for the other frozen turkey, so the Turkey Cake must be, er, sacrificed! Enjoy!!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I feel like I’ve learned more about geography from this game than I ever did in school.

😂
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago I feel like I’ve learned more about geography from this game than I ever did in school.😂
Does that mean you accidentally shipped a horse from Kentucky to Belarus and had to figure out where that was? :lol:

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Stormy Peak wrote: 4 years ago
Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago I feel like I’ve learned more about geography from this game than I ever did in school.😂
Does that mean you accidentally shipped a horse from Kentucky to Belarus and had to figure out where that was? :lol:

Stormy
Lol not quite! But similar! 😂
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Reading Anna Karenina
Got bombed, got frozen
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Tim Matthews wrote: 4 years ago Reading Anna Karenina
I read that way back in the mid 1970s - I was in the 7th grade...and had just tackled Dune not too long before I picked that one up. My friends at school didn't see the attraction to such long novels that had complicated characters, plots, and often descriptive passages that went on for several pages with no conversation or action going on. Two of my favorite genres, sci-fi and historical fiction... I guess anything to get me out of the present timeline was my goal. :lol:

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Stormy Peak wrote: 4 years ago
Tim Matthews wrote: 4 years ago Reading Anna Karenina
I read that way back in the mid 1970s - I was in the 7th grade...and had just tackled Dune not too long before I picked that one up. My friends at school didn't see the attraction to such long novels that had complicated characters, plots, and often descriptive passages that went on for several pages with no conversation or action going on. Two of my favorite genres, sci-fi and historical fiction... I guess anything to get me out of the present timeline was my goal. :lol:

Stormy
That's dense stuff for junior high! I adore the novel and am learning to appreciate the time it is taking me to get from page to page.
Got bombed, got frozen
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Back when I was young, kids learned their ABC's and numbers in the 1st grade...anymore, they have to know that stuff by the time they hit kindergarten, but my mom and dad had my older siblings teach my sister and I things like that when we were ages 4 and 5. My older brother use to help me read through books too, once I got past the 1st grade, 'Run D!ck, Run Jane, Run Sally and Run Spot' books...lol. All summer between the 1st and 2nd grade my brother was there helping me read comic books...of which we only had like 5 of them...so I got a lot of practice through repetitive reading.

In the 3rd grade I was way past books like Curious George..and asked to check out Tarzan, by Edgar Rice Burroughs, and the school librarian wasn't going to let me because she thought it would be too hard, then I would get discouraged in learning to read. I told her I could read it...so she had me sit down and read out loud several different pages that she selected...then asked me a few questions to see if understood what I had read. When she learned I could read smoothly, and comprehend what I was reading, I was allowed to check out books up to the 6th grade level.

I still read my books on the sofa with my brother next to me. When I came upon a word I couldn't figure out, or didn't know the meaning too, I would ask him and he would help me.

Learning to read and figuring out how to do so, so totally fascinated me when I was young...it was almost magical in my 1st grader way of thinking...and I wanted to learn to do it as fast as I could. To this day, I still find it interesting that people can look at a bunch of symbols on a page that represent sounds, that form words and allow us to write letters (or texts, now days) or read 3 inch thick novels...lol.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000