Official Random Crap Thread

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Re: Official Random Crap Thread

Post by Stormy Peak »

Random ramble about food. :P

Friday, I cooked a stew. I bought a 2 lb roast on sale, a $1.00 cheaper per pound than the stew meat. than other beef cuts. Apparently, that's no longer the case it's priced about the same as many of the steaks and roasts. :roll:

I also bought some very small red potatoes...about the size of large grapes that were on sale. I chose those small potatoes to save a bit of work from having to cube a few larger potatoes. My back hurts much, that standing at the kitchen counter for more than 10 minutes is difficult. So I just tossed in those whole reds, then after they cooked, I squished some of them into a mash and poured it back into the stew to help thicken it and add to the flavor.

I made 2 gallons (32 cups) of stew in my stock pot.
Suggested daily sodium: 1,500 mg per day for most adults.

---------some comparison information-------------

My Stew
Ingredients: tiny red potatoes, onion, celery, carrots, peas. corn, mushrooms, and a can of no sodium diced tomatoes, and about 2 cups of low sodium broth. The beef was first rolled in corn starch that had paprika, garlic and a small amount of salt...then browned in olive oil. I used more garlic and paprika in the stew, some Mrs Dash, a very small amount of caraway seeds.

Calories Per Cup: 200 [based upon other stew recipes and adjusting for quantities of veggies/meat]
Sodium level: about *185mg per cup [based upon what I know I added to the stew].
*I figured about 40mg of that comes from the low sodium broth and what occurs naturally in veggies. I added about 1 teaspoon of salt to the cornstarch I rolled the meat in before browning.

I took a look at a popular brand of canned stew, Dinty Moore, out of curiosity:

Dinty Moore
Beef stock, Beef, Potatoes, carrots. Contains 2% or less of Beef fat, Corn flour, Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Flour, Caramel Color), Salt, Tomato Past, Modified Cornstarch, Potato Starch, Mushroom Extract, (Mushrooms, Maltodextrin), Caramel Color, Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate, Sugar, Flavoring

Calories per cup: 200
Sodium per cup: 990 :shock:

Cost Comparison

Dinty Moore: One 20oz can $2.44 (2.5 cups) costs around 98 cents per cup.
My stew: about 25 cents per cup. - being generous with what I paid for all the veggies, meat and spices used in it

-------------------------------
I'm not a health nut by any means, I've just been preparing foods the way I grew up eating. I rarely eat stuff out of cans, or frozen entrees, rarely eat cold cereal for breakfast...etc. It takes a little more time to fix some things, but I think it's worth it.

My list of ingredients for my stew has no artificial coloring in it and a good variety of fresh vegetables that you can see with each spoonful. The canned stuff has 2 veggies (potatoes and carrots) with some other 'veggy flavors' added via pastes, extracts, starches, and 'flavoring'...whatever that is suppose to be comprised of.

When I'm in the checkout lane at the store, I'm always kind of shocked at how many people have cans, and frozen stuff in their cart and no 'real food' at all...no veggies, no fruits and not a lot of meat, other than things like hot dogs or sandwich meats.

Also those non refrigerated entrees... I always have to wonder what the heck did they do to the meat in those things were they can be stored in plastic on shelves for months and the meat doesn't rot. I'll buy canned things upon occasion and I get about 4 cans of things (usually a can of beans, peas, peaches, and soup) from the food bank once a month...but I won't touch those non refrigerated entrees...lol.

It's getting harder and harder to be thrifty though...the price of fresh veggies and fruit just get higher and higher as does meat - but my disability payments aren't keeping up with it. But in cooking like 2 gallons at a time and putting most of it in the freezer, I can take advantage of the sale prices.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Dawn Palka
Miler

Post by Dawn Palka »

Stormy-
Smoke houses and a whole lot of salt. Root cellars too I think. Plus ice would be harvested in the winter months and placed with meats in an area underground. Plus beef jerky and something called pemmican.
Out here in the DC area, produce and meats is just as expensive. It's ridiculous.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

So I bought a new car and have yet to pay the 2nd note. Went to put my plate on it last night and found that someone had backed into me at some point. It is deep and to the metal in several places. And to make matters worse I realized my insurance deductible is $1k. SO :evil: :evil: :evil:

“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

So sad to see that, Louise, you work hard to get yourself a nice car and someone does this. :(
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

The estimate is $785.54. Unbelievable
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

BOO! I hate that, Lou!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Fanta Arcadia
Eclipse Champion

Post by Fanta Arcadia »

See what your uninsured motorist policy is. Someone backed into my Malibu to the tune of $650 worth of damage, I have a $750 deductible, with a police report it brought what I pay down to $200.
Superbia --> SC Winning Stud from the My Heart of Hearts dynasty --> 40,000 fee
Quetzalcoatl --> G1 winner, Son of SC winner Luxuria, 20,000 fee
Filled With Pride --> G1 winner, Son of SC winner Superbia, 20,000 fee
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I want to click on the Endgame thread...but also I don’t want to see spoilers
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Does the Steward pay herself breeder awards?
Anne Conradt
Derby Contender

Post by Anne Conradt »

Fanta Arcadia wrote: 5 years ago See what your uninsured motorist policy is. Someone backed into my Malibu to the tune of $650 worth of damage, I have a $750 deductible, with a police report it brought what I pay down to $200.
A deer charged my car beginning of the week. I've been told that happens here.

I'm like, "Are you fricking serious???????" I didn't even hit his girl friend when she jumped in front of the car out of nowhere just before that, as I was turning onto the road I live on. Luckily I was going slow on the turn.

I was sitting there stopped, shaking because I didn't hit the doe...and HE charges my car!!!

Not much damage really for as hard as he was running at my car. The glass was broken around the headlight, a few scratches on the bumper. The headlight and blinker still work perfectly, and the car drives fine.

$1,246.59. Just ridiculous what those places will charge for so little damage. I have a $250 deductible.

A guy at church is a mechanic. He said he would fix it for $565, including the parts. Insurance co. couldn't grab it fast enough. They get off nearly $500 cheaper + no out of pocket for me. The check for the mechanic will be there Tuesday.

Plus I have accident forgiveness, so no premium hike.

Got lucky on my first "accident" ever.
:arrow: I always pay attention when Eric Hamme talks about horses running in Maryland.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Deer do that in Idaho too.

My uncle was going home... his house is down a long country road with pastures on each side. As he was driving he saw coming at him from ahead and on his left about a dozen deer at full run...and due to the roads being slick...it took him a little ways to slow down and finally stop. The deer and him, met at about the same place with all of the deer jumping over a fence and going across the lane in front of his car. Except for the last one, a large buck. It jumped the fence, swerved, came upon to the road while doing so, lowered it head and rammed the drivers side door, then it trotted around the front of the car and in the direction of where the rest of the herd went.

My uncle couldn't open the car door when he got home and the deer had also damaged the mirror so it was just dangling.
It was fairly new car, so he had full coverage insurance, and he was told by the body shop that it's not uncommon for deer to do things like that.

Which made him feel better...lol... in the 25 years him and his wife have lived far out into the country, between them, they have hit about 15 deer, 1 moose and unfortunately a black horse that was on the highway at night. With that deer attack, my uncle joked that maybe the deer figured out who killed 15 of their kind and were now going after him. :P

--------
Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

Anne Conradt wrote: 5 years ago
Fanta Arcadia wrote: 5 years ago See what your uninsured motorist policy is. Someone backed into my Malibu to the tune of $650 worth of damage, I have a $750 deductible, with a police report it brought what I pay down to $200.
A deer charged my car beginning of the week. I've been told that happens here.

I'm like, "Are you fricking serious???????" I didn't even hit his girl friend when she jumped in front of the car out of nowhere just before that, as I was turning onto the road I live on. Luckily I was going slow on the turn.

I was sitting there stopped, shaking because I didn't hit the doe...and HE charges my car!!!

Not much damage really for as hard as he was running at my car. The glass was broken around the headlight, a few scratches on the bumper. The headlight and blinker still work perfectly, and the car drives fine.

$1,246.59. Just ridiculous what those places will charge for so little damage. I have a $250 deductible.

A guy at church is a mechanic. He said he would fix it for $565, including the parts. Insurance co. couldn't grab it fast enough. They get off nearly $500 cheaper + no out of pocket for me. The check for the mechanic will be there Tuesday.

Plus I have accident forgiveness, so no premium hike.

Got lucky on my first "accident" ever.
Yeah, deer do that. In Michigan it's just life, I know people who deer have ran into their car in a freaking parking lot, like they are inside doing their thing and a deer literally runs into their parked car
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Dawn Palka
Miler

Post by Dawn Palka »

They do that down here as well. Every now and then, you'll hear of a deer running headlong into a plate glass window, usually at an auto dealership.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Today is my SIM Birthday (SIMiversary?), I’ve been playing 1 RL year, how is that possible? Where has time gone?!

You guys are the best, I’m so happy to be here ☺️
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Dawn Palka
Miler

Post by Dawn Palka »

My husband and I need to hire someone to do some painting and other work around the house. Husband is disabled and quite frankly I'm too lazy to do anymore painting. Easy peasy lemon squeezy right? Wrong! First we contacted a contractor we'd used in the past. Finally got through and set up an estimate appointment for a Saturday. Got a text from them about 45 minutes before they were to have come over to the house. They were tied up at another job--can you reschedule? Sure. Stuff happens. Despite texting and calling (full VM box) we never heard back from them. OK, let me find someone else. Went onto Nextdoor. Bam! Found/contacted someone who could fix the busted basement railing (next) this week. Great! Here are our contact numbers. Still waiting for that person. :x
Getting really steamed now--we want to put our house up for sale ASAP. Back to Nextdoor. Found/contacted another contractor. They'll be coming over this Saturday to give us an estimate on the paint/railing job. Fingers crossed.
Now I know that this is very busy time for home improvement contractors, but if you're booked solid the least you could do is contact me and let me know so I can make other arrangements! Must be taking advice from employment recruiters. :x