SIMperior/Custom Barns Poll

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

What do you use?

SIMperior Only
48%
SIMperior and Custom Barns
45%
Neither
6%

Total votes: 31

Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

SIMperior/Custom Barns Poll

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I’m joining the Poll bandwagon now!

Firstly I couldn’t play without SIMperior lol auto shipping alone is worth it! Remember to ship my horses, have you met me :lol: also speed figures...and studbook pages...yeah, it’s all amazing.

ANYWAY! That aside, I’ve been meaning to post about my custom barn set up, as I’m curious how other players run theirs!

There has been a new limit put on barns and I had to delete a few to reorganize my mare set up. I had maybe 50-60 barns before, I’ve heard there are 6ish people who have over 1000 custom barns (which is why the limit was added!).

These are my current custom barns:

RACING
0 R Sale Barn - Race Horses to try and sell
1 R Retire Barn - Mares who aren’t running well and geldings who’s names I like that I will retire at the end of the year, but will use fill in low entry races until then.
Billers Barn - I have 2 horses that I use as “Invoice” horses, aka lease and returners
R 2 Barn - Horses who run on my “Sound” schedule
R 2C Barn - Horses who run on my “Sound” schedule, but in claimers
R 3 Barn - Horses who run on my “Unsound” schedule
R 3C Barn - Horses who run on my “Unsound” schedule, but in claimers
R Specials Barn - My Horses who get extra special treatment when entering races
T 2yo DM Barn* - my 2yo DRs that will need exercise until W8
T 2yo DR Barn* - my 2yo DRs that will need exercise until W10
T 2yo TM Barn* - my 2yo TMs that will need exercise until W8
T 2yo TR Barn* - my 2yo TRs that will need exercise until W10

BREEDING
0 B Sale Barn - Mares for sale
1 Freaks Barn - mares who have produced at least 1 Freak
2 Stakes Barn - mares who have produced at least 1 Stakes foal
3 Allowance Barn - mares who have produced at least 1 Allowance foal
4 Chasers Barn - my Chaser mares
5 Try Again Barn - mares bred only once or never
6 Lower Barn - mares who haven’t produced an Allowance or better
Breeding Barn* - same as stock breeding barn but with sire/dam/dam Sire/horse type added
Foals Barn* - all the foals bred for the year
Foals Fodder Barn - foals that I’ve bred when I’d like a filly but the numbers aren’t inline. Usually my studs are involved with unpredictable mares
Foals Hope Barn - foals that I think have a good shot at being “Specials”
Studs Barn - studs :)

TRAINING
0 T Sale Barn - 1yo Horses to try and sell
Fodder Barn - foals transfer here from the breeding barn equivalent barn so I can run numbers for myself without these horses
Hope Barn - foals transfer here from the breeding equivalent barn and I can see how good at guessing I am haha
Specials Barn - My Horses that will transfer to my “Specials” racing barn
Last edited by Rochelle Bos 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Re: SIMperior/Custom Barns Poll

Post by Darcy McBride »

I had a custom barn once, but didn't really use it for much. Maybe I just don't have that many horses.
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

You have to be SIMperior to get the custom barn feature, so in your poll, if one has custom barns then they also have SIMperior.

I love the custom barns feature, but don't get crazy with the number of barns, since a lot of narrowing can be accomplished just by using the filters. I don't really use smart barns, just managed barns.

BREEDING
Unbred Mares
Bred Mares (includes the ones I've decided not to breed this year)
Stud Barn
Foal Barn
Lease Mares (that I may or may not bother leasing out to others)
For Sale

TRAINING
Main Training (equipment found)
Equip Training
Injured Training (when I did an oops and worked out some yearlings before Week 5)

RACING
Main Racing
Equip Racing (horses I bought and equipment isn't known yet)
Unstarted
Maidens on Hold (maidens put on the shelf for now, after having started)
Limbo (winners put on the shelf for now)
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Regina Moore wrote: 5 years ago You have to be SIMperior to get the custom barn feature, so in your poll, if one has custom barns then they also have SIMperior.
I didn’t know that! The things you learn :lol:

Also thanks for explaining your barns :D
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program

Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Main mare barn/mares to sell barn/stallion barn/foals.
Yearlings equipped/ yearlings not equipped.
Active runners/horses to wait on.

We have such amazing filters now that I don't feel the need to complicate the barn system any further than that, it's so easy to refine within a large barn :)
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Laura Smith wrote: 5 years ago Main mare barn/mares to sell barn/stallion barn/foals.
Yearlings equipped/ yearlings not equipped.
Active runners/horses to wait on.

We have such amazing filters now that I don't feel the need to complicate the barn system any further than that, it's so easy to refine within a large barn :)
I have to agree there are lots of awesome filters on the default barns. When I was using my old netbook (that has since been replaced) I had to wait and wait and wait for my big barns to load so filtering them into quick clicks was very nice! Those made up most of the barns I trimmed recently.

I really like adding in the Horse-Type column, as well as having the sire/dam columns available in my breeding barns!

Edit: ugh I edited the poll to remove custom barns alone and it reset the poll
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program

Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

My barns are pretty similar to Lauren's

I have equipped vs not equipped yearling barns these automatically transfer into equipped vs not equipped 2yo barns (I wish we had a way to denote vet vs trainer 2nd piece horses so I could further refine the not equipped barn while keeping the horses in the same barn).

In addition to the aforementioned 2yo barns on the racing barn side I also have a barn for all my horses actively racing (I use filters to split between paints and thoroughbreds when entering), and then a new thing I started this year is a barn for horses that I want to sit on to see if they improve. I used to also have a separate barn for horses running Tuesday/Thursday but now I only do thoroughbred entries once a week so that went by the wayside.

I played around some with smart barns when custom barns first came out and may still have some setup, but I never found them particularly useful.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Racehorse Barns:
Active Racing Barn
Two Year Olds Barn - because I only have routers so they get kept here until ready to start in week 10
Immature Barn - for horses I’ve kept waiting for a gallop improvement
Check Barn* - I have this one set to show horses not assigned to a custom barn because I kept misplacing horses I’d gotten via lease or purchase

Breeding Barns:
DR Mares Barn - All my dirt router mares regardless of bred/inbred
TR Mares Barn
Unbred Dirt Barn*
Unbred Turf Barn*
Married With Kids Barn* - all bred mares regardless of type
ultra hot Studlies Barn - where the boyz live
Babies Barn*

Training barns:
Bandages Barn - for those horrid horses who need bandages but the vet won’t specify which
Equiped Barn
Not Equiped Barn
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Irving Faulkner
Classic Contender

Post by Irving Faulkner »

in this question, I think that according to the circumstances you can use the second option
SIMperior only, and custom barns

if you can buy game points, you can use all the benefits of the SIMperior, now on the customized barns, I do not know how many benefits, and utility filters provide the user, I believe that in an article of the Mrs. Moore, stated that she would like use several barn labels according to your needs, today, I do not know if that request from her was added to the barns

for the particular I do not use the barn, since my barn is too small, and also they are 50K, that sometimes I need to buy, breed or acquire game points

about the SIMperior, I use it once a week every year, and it's not because I do not want to use it, only that I have to buy game points, with SIM money, and the game points I can buy, is for the hypo, and look for the training piece of the yearlings, and from time to time create a competition, for one of my horses, and use once, a year the SIMperior, to know the type of climate that my horses like, and know the amount of Freak, who could, have the stallions that I like, and know how many good children have had the new mother mares, which I was able to acquire

so given my condition I think I do not use, none of the 2, by the circumstances of my stable
Last edited by Irving Faulkner 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
For judgment is without mercy to him who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

(I wish we had a way to denote vet vs trainer 2nd piece horses so I could further refine the not equipped barn while keeping the horses in the same barn).
I use ne (no equipment) to indicate a gallop piece, and op (one piece) to indicate a vet piece. I otherwise don't use those symbols, because a no equipment horse simply has an asterisk, and an one piece horse has that piece and an asterisk.

So, a horse might be b,ne if it's blinkers and a gallop piece. Once that gallop piece has been found, then the horse is equipped with it and ne unchecked. For horses where the second piece is found via workouts, I don't add the asterisk until I've Asked Jockey after their first start to confirm that it's correct.
J.r. Lewis
Grade 3 Winner

Post by J.r. Lewis »

I love my custom barns and like many of you, can't imagine life without them.

Basically I handle all of my 3000+ racing barn in 4 separate barns which are all pretty self explanatory I think: Specials / Future Mares / Racers (the gelding versions of future mares) / Lowest Tags.

In the breeding barn I separate my mares into Keepers and Colt Mares. Keepers will be with me til they die and Colt Mares usually get 3 shots but as I accrue more keepers, I've started culling the Colt Mares pretty quick. Even I have a limit...kinda

The training barns are set up to mimic the racing barn and those horses automatically go into the appropriate racing barn when the season turns over. Easy peasy.
Michael McGuire
Derby Contender

Post by Michael McGuire »

I have a small stable, this setup works for me.

Breeding Barns:

Broodmare Barn - Here I have all of my broodmares of all horse-types, with my Display Columns set I can clearly see everything I need to know.

Broodmare Sales Barn - From my Broodmare Barn I select mares I wish to sell and move them to this barn. This makes it easier to find the ones I want to sell at auction, etc. without accidentally picking a mare I want to keep.

Foal Barn - Here I have all of my foals of all horse-types. When I breed a foal I select this barn from their Horse Page under Manage Custom Barns - Move to: and click the Set button. Under Manage Barns, I have the Next Barn selected as a Training Barn: Yearlings. My foals will automatically move to my Yearlings Barn when the year turns over, that's a nice feature.

Stallion Barn - I don't have any stallions standing at stud yet, but here is where they would be listed.

Training Barns:

Yearlings Barn - Here I have all of my yearlings of all horse-types, with my Display Columns set I can clearly see everything I need to know. This makes training my yearlings easier and I can see who my future prospects are. Under Manage Barns, I have the Next Barn selected as a Racing Barn: @ 2 Training. My yearlings will automatically move to my @ 2 Training Barn when the year turns over.

Yearling Sales Barn - From my Yearlings Barn I select yearlings I wish to sell and move them to this barn. Again this makes it easier to find the ones I wish to sell at auction, etc.

Racing Barns:

@ 2 Training Barn - Here I have all of my 2-year-olds of all horse-types. After the SIM year rolls over, my yearlings who become 2-year-olds are automatically sent to this barn. I select my 2-year-olds who are ready to race early in the year and move them to either my Racing Barn or Claim Barn. The 2-year-olds who race later in the year, milers & routers, stay in this barn until I can enter them into a race, then I move them to either my Racing Barn or Claim Barn. My 2-year-olds who I've decided to keep in training in hopes of their gallops improving become 3-years-old when the year turns over. They are still listed under this barn, this is when I select those 3-year-olds and move them to my Racing Barn: @ 3 Training Barn. Or I decide to sell those 3-year-olds and move them to my Racing Barn: Racing Age Sales Barn. Or I may just send them to AJ.

@ 3 Training Barn - Here I have all of my 3-year-olds of all horse-types. Refer to what I said about my @ 2 Training Barn to know what I also do here.

@ 4 Training Barn - Here I have all of my 4-year-olds of all horse-types. Refer to what I said about my @ 2 Training Barn to know what I also do here.

@ 5 Training Barn - Here I have all of my 5-year-olds of all horse-types. Refer to what I said about my @ 2 Training Barn to know what I also do here.

Claim Barn - Here I have all of my horses of racing age that I race in claim races. This keeps my Racing Barn from being cluttered up with claimers.

Racing Barn - Here I have all of my horses of racing age that I race in MSW, NW2, etc. This is where having a small barn works out, if you have a very large barn you may want to have multiple "Racing Barns".

Racing Age Sales Barn - From my Racing Barn or Claim Barn I select horses of racing age that I want to sell at auction, etc. This barn makes that process easier.

-Michael
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Regina Moore wrote: 5 years ago
(I wish we had a way to denote vet vs trainer 2nd piece horses so I could further refine the not equipped barn while keeping the horses in the same barn).
I use ne (no equipment) to indicate a gallop piece, and op (one piece) to indicate a vet piece. I otherwise don't use those symbols, because a no equipment horse simply has an asterisk, and an one piece horse has that piece and an asterisk.

So, a horse might be b,ne if it's blinkers and a gallop piece. Once that gallop piece has been found, then the horse is equipped with it and ne unchecked. For horses where the second piece is found via workouts, I don't add the asterisk until I've Asked Jockey after their first start to confirm that it's correct.

OMG!!! This is genius!!! You are my hero.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Kenneth Prater
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Kenneth Prater »

I have never seen a reason to use the custom barns option. I guess I am in the minority.
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

I only use Custom barns, no Smart barns. I still don't have quite the set up I want, still playing with it.

Breeding
Auction/Sale Mares
Bred Mares
Foals
Blue Hens/Stars
Formidable
Good
Stallions

Racing
Auction/Sale
Freaks/Stakes 2
Allowance 2
Productive & Under
Steeplechasers
Older Equipment
Vet 2

Training
Freaks/Stakes (all equipment found)
Allowance (all equipment found)
Productive & Under (all equipment found)
Steeplechaser
Gallop
SB Gallop (Standardbred)
Vet
¯\_(ツ)_/¯