Finally a foal on the way...

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Laura Ferguson
Hall of Fame

Re: Finally a foal on the way...

Post by Laura Ferguson »

Congrats!
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

She is adorable!! Congrats, Gigi!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

So now I need some help.

Harley is weaned, and when I get her to get her fluffy muddy bossy britches to stand still long enough for me to clean her up for a respectable photo I'll post one - *eye roll* - but now I need to make some decisions for Angel.

Angel is heading up to Emerald next week for a lameness eval to see if her right hind suspensory is fully healed (what sent her to the breeding shed in the first place). If the vet says it looks good, I'm considering bringing her back into work for my daughter to ride. She's kind of under the clock to age out of her division and while we got her a big boned Irish horse to compete this year, it would be wise to bring another horse along and try to get a back up qualification. If the vet says no, or if Angel tells us she doesn't want to go back to eventing, then I will breed her again for another eventer. There's also a part of me that doesn't really want to run her at prelim or above just in case, so whatever the vet says I may just breed her anyway (which honestly is the most likely outcome here - I love her so much I couldn't bear it if she broke). I want to take advantage of early season stallion sales and get my choice safely in the freezer, so here are my options:

Go back to Balou du Rouet. Harley is amazing, and I have another breeding, so it's a proven and cheap option. Of course, AI is never cheap, but at least the stud fee is taken out of the equation. And he's consistently in the top 10 FEI/global eventing sire ranking. No LFG though. https://www.superiorequinesires.com/sta ... -Rouet-298

Riverman: In the US, this guy is THE sire for eventing. Ranked #1 or 2 with USEF the least three years. There's none better this side of Europe and he's getting old now. $900 and no LFG. http://www.hilltopfarminc.com/stallion/riverman/

Clair de Lune: this is a proven eventing sire with an eventing pedigree, and he's fairly local so we could use fresh and he has a LFG. For some reason though I balk at US based sires but I have no idea why. If he were standing in Europe I probably would swoop. $1500 though so the priciest of the bunch. https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/claire+de+lune+se https://sefarm.com/clair-de-lune/

Grey Top: his one has probably the best movement of the bunch, and has a superb temperament (something Angel does NOT have). Also has a tremendous pedigree, and there is a lot to like about his jump. $825 no LFG - although he is in a few auctions so I might be able to get him cheaper. I think he's probably my first choice at the moment. https://www.superiorequinesires.com/sta ... ey-Top-230

Quite Easy: another regular in the global top eventing sires list and I haven't met a Quidam de revel that I didn't like (although I did have a Quite Easy filly years ago that was one of the few horses I've met that I'd never turn my back on - and Quite Easy has a pretty challenging temperament). he crosses well with TBs but perhaps doesn't add as much to Angel as the others in terms of movement. $1400, no lfg. http://www.newnormandyfarm.com/quite-easy.html

Zacharov: I love dutch warmbloods and the pedigree has all my jumping favorites. I'm a little concerned about the temperament factor with Clinton and Angel (double up on the 'willfulness'), but he's a forward-moving jumper that ought to produce an ideal natural style for eventing. https://www.team-nijhof.nl/paarden/zacharov-tn/ $950, he does have a LFG though which is really rare with frozen.

And if you like this sort of thing and want to propose something new, I've ruled out a few for this year at least - Contender sons are great eventers but there is a concern about soundness. Heartbreaker, Voltaire and Cornet Obelensky I've ruled out for temperament, and in Cornet's case, some conception issues. Toronto is interesting, but I haven't see his offspring selling well. Emerald I LOVE, but there has been some conception and semen management issues recently. I like Komme Casall with Nijhof, but he's a young guy and I'd like to see some foals on the ground, plus he's not on Nijhof's USA available list yet, although he's one I likely will come back to in future years.

So, what do you guys think?
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Flizan Hambletonian
Turf Router

Post by Flizan Hambletonian »

As a Swede, I love Quite Easy. He and Peter Eriksson were an excellent team! :)
Country House Turf Router, AW Router, Steeplechaser
Smoke and Gusto Paint Dirt Router
Flizans Bourbon Steeplechaser
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

I have zero idea about hunter lines but I think Riverman maybe just because he's 30 and won't be an option much longer
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

A repeat with Balou du Rouet would be my first pick. Even if it was a first-go and you didn't already have a gorgeous filly from this pairing, he is who I would choose. I love his action and I love the way he is built. Harley being amazing is just icing on the cake and makes this stud even more the clear choice, in my opinion :)

My second pick is Riverman, and my third is Zacharov.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | Leased Out Y66
Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

Well she either needs surgery or she’s officially retired, so retired it is. Time to paint the nursery!
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

So here's the update.

We decided to try breeding to an older imported RID stallion who has produced some wonderful ridable eventers locally. The plan was to try and get one last foal for him since Angel is young and fertile, and maybe get a solid type I could keep to ride myself if I ever get healthy enough again. But, despite Angel popping follicles like she wanted a litter, she did not take. So, next cycle we decided to go back to Harley's sire for a full sibling. Last night, checked in foal! Here we go!

Harley is taking her time shedding out but once she' s slick and shiny I'll post her yearling photo! Oh and an update on Angel not eating - a short course of regumate seemed to settle her down and she's plump and happy and eating well again - although there's three foals at the farm so Angel is seriously distracted. This is definitely her calling.

She does have a 3yo half sister that was a $370K two year old so maybe - just maybe - next year we will head for Kentucky or California and breed for racing. We will see.
440 Racing Barn
Eclipse Champion

Post by 440 Racing Barn »

congracts hope to see some pictures soon
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Me, too. Ready for some new photos. I hope everything goes well with this second foal and that he/she is wonderful, too!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

Here's Harley, about 15 months now! SO pleased with how she's turning out, plus she's super fun to be around (willful, but fun).

Angel is due in April with a full sister/brother to Harley. I'm pretty excited!
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Such a pretty baby! Congrats on the beautiful foal and I hope you have another healthy one this year!
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

Getting close - Angel is due April 27, and she is looking like she's on schedule!
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

Any day now!!!

Image on Flickr
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Can not wait to see the new baby! Best wishes for a safe and normal delivery for mom and baby. I hope to see some pictures soon!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED