Battle of Winterfell-Who Dies?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.

Who dies in this episode?

Brienne
17%
Podrick
4%
Jaime
4%
Daenerys
4%
Bran
4%
Tormund
8%
Jorah
29%
Theon
21%
Gendry
4%
Other (leave a comment?)
4%

Total votes: 24

Lily Miles March
Miler

Re: Battle of Winterfell-Who Dies?

Post by Lily Miles March »

I agree Carole.. I'm a tiny person who likes fencing and martial arts, and I'm sure that without some kind of magical super strength, Arya shouldn't be able to parry the blows and land the hits she does, even if her technique was as absolutely amazing as it's possible for hand-to-hand technique to be. Her one-to-one conflict with the Waif I could actually believe since they were similar physically. I remember I was so scared when the Waif was chasing her and so proud of her when she blew out the candle and emerged alive. Since then every time she fights someone, I can never forget I'm watching actors not Westeros-ians. They never showed her getting superpowers, she hasn't changed size or shape, and it doesn't make sense. I am willing to overlook that based on the fact it's a fantasy show but how did she get through the circle of undead and what did she jump off? And why did the Night King just hold her by the neck and look at her while she stabbed him? Suddenly he has no sense of self-preservation lol

Talking of making sense, and thinking back, I have no idea what any character in the recent episode was thinking. Based on the decisions they made, they should all be dead and are just lucky to be alive. A reason I love this show is usually people suffer real consequences for poor decisions and have success from good strategy. That was a lot more interesting and immersive for me. The only one who suffered consequences was Theon but why did he decide to make such a pointless sacrifice? What's heroic about running headfirst into certain death when you could have stalled in any number of less fatal ways?

I'm not usually one to complain and I usually enjoy things on their merits and try not to feel disappointed if I've built it up in my head so much that the reality could never live up to it, but I don't think that's happening here, I think the show might not be ending in the way it deserves. Can anyone here help me see the bright side?! Did it all happen too fast for me to get what was really going on? I hope so.
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Sophia Stevenson wrote: 4 years ago They never showed her getting superpowers, she hasn't changed size or shape, and it doesn't make sense. I am willing to overlook that based on the fact it's a fantasy show but how did she get through the circle of undead and what did she jump off? And why did the Night King just hold her by the neck and look at her while she stabbed him? Suddenly he has no sense of self-preservation lol
The art of making someone believe you're insignificant has been the downfall of many.
Like, for example, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzcslekvDnY
Karazhan, Deshaan
Storm Drawing Near (sire of Steward's Cup winner)
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Sorry gals, but I don’t look for my “fantasy” to make total sense. I suggest you lighten up....ARYA ROCKS!
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

She has appeared as other people in previous episodes and surprised her enemies by revealing herself to them before killing them. Perhaps we simply were no allowed to see the disguise yet, but a later episode may revisit the same scene. If she appeared as an undead to them, then they would have no reason to stop her. If she appeared as an undead, then the Night King may have been totally surprised and confused, trying to see beyond her disguise to figure out who she was and how she managed this deception while she was killing him. Just a thought. I'll also add just a thought and stab in the dark from someone who has not seen any of the new episodes yet, so I AM wildly guessing.
Lily Miles March
Miler

Post by Lily Miles March »

I wish I could lighten up but I'm too frustrated by all the plot armor usage in that episode. But thanks for the clip. I love that scene!

Steve, that would be awesome and I hope they can show something like that in a flashback or just have her explain.. my willingness to fill in the blanks only goes so far. I'm probably just a lazy viewer. I do believe in her assassination skills, she's earned them. I was only complaining about the fact that she is blocking spears, broadswords etc. She shouldn't be able to do that unless she can literally alter her mass and center of gravity. However it's a small point really. And I won't go into any of my other realism based complaints, because Nick's right, it's a fantasy series so whaddaya expect. I'm excited about the rest of the season. There are some huge questions to answer now.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Well yes of course we shouldn’t expect a fantasy series to be realistic as such but the thing is, Game of Thrones was a political drama with an element of fantasy. Mistakes had consequences and when someone had insanely bad odds to survive they didn’t. I don’t even want to count how many tones different characters should have died in this episode and would have probably died if this was season 1-4.

I appreciate how visually brilliant the show and how stunning the music score is, but the writing has been very sub par the last few seasons. I’ll take the show with a pinch of salt and wait for the other 2 books to come out.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

An element of fantasy? You’re kidding, right? Oh wait, I just missed that red dragon flying over the house......
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Nick Gilmore wrote: 4 years ago An element of fantasy? You’re kidding, right? Oh wait, I just missed that red dragon flying over the house......
I just think it's not meant to be in your face fantasy. GRRM has said himself he wanted to write a fantasy story that didn't have all the fantasy tropes in it, A Song of Ice and Fire does that. The show, not so much once the books are out of play.

And I'm not even talking about realism in a sense of this is impossible in the real world but realism within the world GOT already built up. Like for example, Arya not dying in Braavos. Even the show history proves that stab wounds like that (e.g. Robb Stark) and then an infection in those wounds (e.g. Robert Baratheon) is not survivable, and definitely not something you can recover from in a matter of days? I'm just miffed at how strong the plot armor is now for the main cast.

But oh well, it is what it is. I read somewhere that now that the fantastical threat is gone, maybe GOT will get back to that political scheming/intrigue that made it so good. Let's just put it this way, I like dragons and cool action scenes and the horror element of the white walkers etc. but GOT drew me in because of it's complex characters and interweaving story lines. Ned Stark's death in season 1 was incredible, it just set the show apart. The Red Wedding cemented it as one of the best series ever. But GOT has massively steered away from that and it's just a bit meh in my opinion. I don't think I'll ever understand the viewpoint of people who still find the show to be on the same level as before (in terms of writing) but hey everyone has their own opinions and all opinions are valid. If you love this kind of thing, good for you! I'm jealous that you still enjoy the show the same way as before, I wish I could too :P
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

While I do agree with you that the writing has fallen off since the books end, any visual representation of any well written book always lacks the detail we loved in the books. It really isn’t fair to compare the two. Has it become light entertainment? Probably yes, but I suspect we won’t see Martin’s vision completed. Supposedly he was on board with the main plot lines, but we may never know. I guess I’m just satisfied to have some kind of ending at all.
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Yea in fairness we don’t know if GRRM will ever give us his ending, it seems he feels so much pressure to live up to the hype now that he has hit a wall with his writing. The last thing I want is for Martin to rush the story or get super bored or frustrated with it. It must be difficult for him too considering he has all these different plot lines and characters and somehow he has to tie it all in in a satisfying way. I wouldn’t want to be in his position (or the poor show writers who had to fill in so many blanks themselves).