Baby Registry Stuff

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Ashley Gibson
Grade 1 Winner

Baby Registry Stuff

Post by Ashley Gibson »

As the Steward mentioned Friday, I am expecting my first child this summer. The baby is a girl (I literally have them verify at every ultrasound, lol, because in am sure that is normal) My current biggest problem is baby registries. They are totally overwhelming and I don't have time to research every category like I want to in a sufficient manner. So I figured I would turn to some experts, SIMsters with kids!

What are things that you love/ loved, things you wish you had gotten before the baby, and things that were just meh or a waste of money? I am pretty child stupid so I don't know much other than what I have been able to research.

Things We Have:
- Eleventy Billion Outfits (Ranging from newborn to about 3-6mo, most of which were given to us by my sister-in-law who has a little girl who is about 6mo now)
- Crib (a near new crib that was given to us by a family friend)
- Travel System (Brand New, Britax)
- Crib Bedding from our Paddington the Bear set (with some other paddington stuff she will get as it becomes age appropriate)
"I think it needs to be reiterated that Ashley Gibson is my hero.." - John Slotman (March 4, 2010 0757)

4:16 PM [John Slotman] I don't even know where to start.
4:16 PM [John Slotman] Except I heart Ashley.
Noel Collins
Derby Contender

Re: Baby Registry Stuff

Post by Noel Collins »

Breast pump. Electric. If your nursing.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

[this turned out WAY longer than I meant LOL. I can talk kids all day. I try not to, cause most people get annoyed when you talk about kids too much 😂]

Firstly: HAPPY MOTHERS DAY! ❤️

Pretty much all you really need is diapers, wipes, clothing, and a crib 😅

I wish I could remember all the stuff we waisted money on (Mom Brian ftw)

Probably my FAVOURITE thing ever is a Pea Pod change mat*(Just checked, it's actually called the Peanut Changer lol), it’s designed so they can’t roll over and ESCAPE. They all try at some point lol it’s even hard for my 2.5yo to roll over in, gives reaction time, since the alligator death roll is quick!

As for clothes I suggest sleepers, with zippers lol that’s all my kids wore for their first 6 months of life, especially when they are new new and you are far to tired to even exist.and matching up snaps on a squirming baby in the middle of the night is NOT a fun time 😜 Also at the start they are changing clothes sizes every week or two, with my first he didn’t even get to wear every outfit he had (especially because we gravitated towards the sleepers haha) And shoes before they can walk are just a waste of money, adorable yes, but not needed. Also if you have lots of sleepers you won’t be afraid to cut off the baby outfit when there is a poosplosion and just throw it in the garbage 😂

Diapers, I would get a few different brands to try, not all brands work with babies. My son could pee/poop through pampers like no ones business!

Not all kids like nuks, my littles both knew they were fake boobs and loathes them. My daughter sucks two fingers to self soothe, and my son has his blanket that his stuffs like half of it into his mouth to suck on 🙄😂

Diaper genies are super handy once they start solid food, unless you’re formula feeding, I think that makes poop stinky too?

I regret buying our bassinet, my kids both were super long and rolled over so early that we only got to use it for a month or two. They also both spent the night in our bed until they were fairly mobile. Shhh don’t tell 😜 Straight into a crib is just fine.

We really like the heartbeat sound machine we have, not sure if it made a difference for the kiddo but we think it was soothing.

Bucket seat is great, so handy! Especially when baby is sleeping. We only just moved my daughter out of hers, she didn’t outgrow it, just annoyingly heavy for me to try and carry her around in it so I was taking her out and leaving the bucket in the car. Nothing much makes you feel worse than forget put the handle up before you drive away 😳

A stroller that the bucket seat can clip into is also VERY handy, if you do a lot of outings. Another amazing option for that is a wrap or a baby carrier! I love love love my Chimparoo Trec.

Swings/rockers are hit or miss, my kids hated them 🙄 Exersaucer was a hit though (Walkers are illegal in Canada)

I know a Baby Breza (sp?) is SUPER handy if you’re formula feeding. You could also use a bottle warmer if you’re pumping, but you have to make sure it works with breast milk. (When I pumped with my first we just used boiled water and dunked the bottle for however long). Speaking of pumps, if you’re planning to go that route don’t skimp out, you won’t regret it. I used a Medela In-Style, wish I had gotten the Spectra S2.

I thought for #2 it would be super handy to have a portable bassinet, she slept in it maybe 3 times? Preferred to sleep on the couch beside me or I just put her on the floor lol #sorrynotsorry

You only need a few baby toys (we have THEEE boxes just sitting in the basement 🙄)

Bored books are amazing, can never have too many. My daughter smiles the whole time I read to her, giant baby smiles. And my son has story time before bed, you’ll use the books for a long long time. If you have lots you can rotate them, so your kid doesn’t pick the same 3 books every night for all time 😂

OH! I was about to say that’s all I can think of but diaper bag! I hated having a single strap sling diaper bag, and since everything branded for babies is so stupid expensive, just get a backpack with lots of pockets! Never looked back!
Last edited by Rochelle Bos 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Sleep sacks are also handy!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Dawn Palka
Miler

Post by Dawn Palka »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 5 years ago [this turned out WAY longer than I meant LOL. I can talk kids all day. I try not to, cause most people get annoyed when you talk about kids too much 😂]

I'm the same way with dogs and cats. Stick around me long enough, you'll be begging for mercy or calling Amnesty International to report a human rights abuse.
The only kid I have is a husband. :P
Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Hunt »

Congratulations!

Ok wet wipe warmers are good for the first few months,

Angel Care Monitors are awesome because they have a sensor pad that will alert you if baby hasn't made any movements or breaths in a 10 seconds (I think).

Dont be afraid to put different kinds of bottles on the registry. What one baby likes another may not. I prefer Tommee Tippee bottles since I breastfeed and pump both. Dr Browns aren't bad either

I agree to try different kinds of diapers until you find the right kinds for you baby (parents Choice and Members Mark suck, they leak way to easy)

Don't be afraid to ask for Gift Cards! They come in handy!

Infant Tylenol

Baby Bouncer

Playmat for tummy time

When I think of more I'll come add on to this, my pregnancy brain is awful right now since I'm 3 weeks away from my due date.
Anna Leroux
Hall of Fame

Post by Anna Leroux »

Breast Pumps... check insurance they will probably cover whatever model you want!

Baby wise, a jogging stroller if you don't have one. I know you have a travel system but a jogging stroller has the wider off-road type wheels that are much better if you are wheeling baby to the barn, track, etc.

Wipe warmers are nice but honestly not needed. They can also be hosts for bacteria.

Good baby rash cream such as Aquaphor, which can be used on raches, scratches, chapped skin, etc.

Diaper wise for a registry ask for the good ones such as Honest Diapers. I've seen fewer rashes with better diapers.

Several different types of bottles. My son needed Dr. Brown's but some babies are good on other kinds. If you get some different types you can try them until you find one that both you and baby like. to clean them... literally the bottles themselves can typically run through the dishwasher, the nipples can be boiled in water on the stove. No need to buy fancy equipment for that. A bottle brush maybe other than that... meh.

For a bassinet look at the Pack N Plays that come with the attachment on top for both diaper changing, and bassinet. It'll save space, and something you can use if you travel and need a bed for the baby in other places.

A few different types of blankets such as fleece ones, comforter style, etc. My son only liked fleece, but some might not like those at all.

Walkers can be unsafe, Exersaucers are better and safer. Jumpers are wonderful! My son loved his at about 4 months until he outgrew it.

Swaddlers, A sling if you plan to carry her around on you, very helpful when she's upset and you are tired! Hooded baby towels are wonderful for after bath.

My son loved his bouncer and his swing, just look at reviews, and check recalls on different brands/models.

Rocking Chair if you don't have one is a game changer on rough nights.

Baby socks. You'll be surprised at how many disappear, never to be seen again. Same with pacifiers if you decide to use them/if she likes them.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

I have to say, Mothers are amazing!!!!! Congrats Ashley and to all who have been blessed!
Noel Collins
Derby Contender

Post by Noel Collins »

I loved my baby slings. I had the one that was a long piece of T-shirt is material that you loop around yourself. It kep my hands free and she fell asleep whenever I put her in it.

I’m also a sack fan. Pretty much a really long shirt that goes past the toes and has an elastic band to keep it closed. Easy to change them in and out of.

For you I recommend Lorna doone cookies, peanut butter (great protein boost after nursing), and comfy clothes that make you happy. Shea butter lotion. Skin gets itchy when it stretches. Don’t feel weird with clothes if they do or don’t say maternity. I hated anything touching my stomach and wore ultra low rise jeans up til I went to the hospital. Do what’s best for you.

Don’t eat much broccoli if you are nursing the first few weeks. Binds them up. If your not nursing I really liked the nestle good start formula. My girls did both bottle and nursing from day 1. We started them on bottles the first day plus nursing and it wasn’t an issue. It was actually a pretty dang good thing I did since my oldest “model a” ended up being a 1 in 2000 girl with pyloric stenosis. That one also put me through a ringer with jaundice.

You can message me any time with questions. I don’t mind. Mine are teens now and have so far survived. We’ve had 0ur oopsies, rushes to the er and stupid mom and kid moments.
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

I'd say pony her to get her use to everything.. oh wait wrong kind of baby. ;)
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Hunt »

Louise Bayou wrote: 5 years ago I'd say pony her to get her use to everything.. oh wait wrong kind of baby. ;)
Lol or better yet, Buy her a pony!