When things just don't go your way

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

When things just don't go your way

Post by Lisa Bennert »

The last days have been really rough for me and I don't really have anyone to talk about it so I thought I'd just write it down here to vent a bit...
I have been riding for 10+ years without ever owning a horse myself, so naturally experienced quite a few heartbreaks, but this was just different. More than a year ago now I made an internship at an arabian breeding farm, where I met Sharino, a small bay gelding that was born there. I still remember the first time I saw him with my eventual trainer (who worked with him at the time). He had been sold twice already then (at 5 years old), but was returned to the farm both times, being deemed „too difficult“. You could tell he had been abused pretty severely, but no one knew what had really happened to him. When my trainer led him into the arena to saddle him he was just a sad little wreck. The sight broke my heart, especially since I saw him on the barn’s website before and actually thought if I ever bought a horse he’d be perfect for me.
During my internship I rode him a few times and fell in love with him so much I stayed there afterwards and kept working with him. The strange thing is that through all the different types of horses I’ve ridden over the years I have never felt safer than when I was on this little traumatized dude. He was scared of his own shadow, scared when you approached him from the wrong side etc. But for example when I took him on his first off property ride with a friend, my friend fell off and Sharino was the one who stood still, let me dismount, check my friend, wait till she caught the horse and quitely let me mount again. He was a real friend you could count on and I always had that feeling that I knew he would always just try to protect me, because he was so smart. And while often scared, he never went „crazy“ even after all that happened to him during his short life already.

I still vividly recall the day I was at the barn for the last time. Throughout the time I worked with him I tried to buy him several times, but the owner of the farm was/ is in a bad position financially (100% deserving though), so she asked for totally unrealistic prices for her horses, jutifiyng it because the breed is so rare in Germany. I had gotten in a fight with her several times before, because she wasn’t caring properly for her horses and that day it just became too much- I had put up with that horrible person the last few months just so I could see my little friend but I couldn’t do it any longer. My trainer and I left after an ugly dispute with her.
So I monitored the barn’s website during the last months, hoping she’d never get him sold (or at least go bankrupt before and sell him cheaply so I could buy him) but a few days ago, there was that „sold“-sign next to his name. My trainer sent a friend (who had left the barn on more friendly terms than me) to find out where he landed, but she couldn’t.
So, I really really hope this brave little horse has finally found the forever home it so deserves, the terrible thing about it is not at all knowing how and where he is... Thank you for everything my little sunshine, you'll always be in my heart </3
https://ibb.co/MpjXnv7
https://ibb.co/WzK8rXX
(hope the links to the pics work..)
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Re: When things just don't go your way

Post by The Steward »

He is ADORABLE. So sorry you couldn't end up with him.... maybe one day? He's not that old! Could happen! He's really cute :-)
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

Some people are just truly horrible! I do hope you find out where he went!
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I hope you find out too, where he ended up. You might have your trainer ask around - spread the word and maybe someone in the area got him and you can keep an eye on him or even ask about getting first chance at buying him if they ever put him up for sale.

If the owner was asking a high price, hopefully that weeded out the worst of the worst of horse buyers.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

So sorry you had to go through this, Lisa. I hope you find out who he was sold to and hope it is to a very good home.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

What a sad story for both you and that cute little horse. I hope he is with a much better owner this time, but also hoping for you that you eventually find out where he is.

Seeing the barn in your second photo reminds me of my last trip to Germany two years ago on a singing tour. We were to perform at a Sunday morning service and went to the wrong church (the congregation splits it's time between two churches several miles apart), but while we waited outside the wrong church, there was a lovely farm and set of barns across the street. Even when I've lived in the country here in California, it was almost never as quiet and peaceful as it was on that Sunday morning in Germany. I loved the beauty and serenity of that morning and your photo brought that lovely memory back.
Last edited by Steve Leavitt 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Lily Miles March
Miler

Post by Lily Miles March »

Literally crying! I've had horses sold from under me and it's the worst feeling. It doesn't really get better, but distracting yourself spending time with other horses does help I find. Hopefully you are still riding, and like Em said, maybe fate will bring you back together when you least expect it.
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Post by Lisa Bennert »

Thank you so much for all the kind/ encouraging responses!
I don't have a lot of hope that I'll meet him again, but who knows... I know I wouldn't hesitate to go see him/ buy him/ whatever if there's any chance in the future.
Sophia Stevenson wrote: 4 years ago Literally crying! I've had horses sold from under me and it's the worst feeling. It doesn't really get better, but distracting yourself spending time with other horses does help I find. Hopefully you are still riding, and like Em said, maybe fate will bring you back together when you least expect it.
Yes, the helpless feeling when you don't own a horse yourself and just more or less have to watch whatever the owner is doing can really drive you crazy sometimes... I'm still riding two horses at the moment but will take a longer break when I move this autumn, maybe getting a break will do me some good, too, though I'll really miss being around horses.
The Steward wrote: 4 years ago He is ADORABLE. So sorry you couldn't end up with him.... maybe one day? He's not that old! Could happen! He's really cute :-)

Yeah, he actually has one of the most expressive faces I've seen on a horse, and he would always do some funny stuff with it, with me standing next to him just admiring him and immediately feeling better just being around him :)
(This pic sums this up pretty well)
https://ibb.co/RSkQzpD
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Update: When things just don't go your way

Post by Lisa Bennert »

Okay, this was strange. I couldn't sleep and was listening to music and then a song came on that always reminds me of Sharino. And for whatever reason I had an impulse to go on his old farm's website, and what do I see there? He's listed for sale again, but this time "on behalf of..." so doesn't belong to the farm but they are helping to promote him. Since this only lasted two months or someting again I suppose they have managed to disturb this sensitive horse again like the two previous buyers in a matter of weeks.
I'm SO mad right now, tomorrow when I hopefully have calmed down a bit I'm going to text the farm owner, (or maybe have someone do it for me given my history with her), and ask for details. This poor little horse, I don't know what's wrong with people...
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

Sad to see this happening again, Lisa.
Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Re: Update: When things just don't go your way

Post by Ashley Hunt »

Lisa Bennert wrote: 4 years ago Okay, this was strange. I couldn't sleep and was listening to music and then a song came on that always reminds me of Sharino. And for whatever reason I had an impulse to go on his old farm's website, and what do I see there? He's listed for sale again, but this time "on behalf of..." so doesn't belong to the farm but they are helping to promote him. Since this only lasted two months or someting again I suppose they have managed to disturb this sensitive horse again like the two previous buyers in a matter of weeks.
I'm SO mad right now, tomorrow when I hopefully have calmed down a bit I'm going to text the farm owner, (or maybe have someone do it for me given my history with her), and ask for details. This poor little horse, I don't know what's wrong with people...
Please keep us updated! It's so hard when things like that happen, maybe it will finally be your turn to own him!
Lisa Bennert
Turf Router

Post by Lisa Bennert »

Oh, I wasn't sure if people were interested in this. I had a friend ask for me and he's even more expensive than he was before, even though they admit that he's been "pretty much standing around the last few weeks". Unbelievable. Apparently his new owner moved and suddenly realized she can't afford a horse at her new place. All very strange, but I just don't know how I could help him, since I can't afford him at that ridiculous price anyway.

Thanks to everyone who still reads through this, I know it's not that "special" story or anything.
Lisa