AU was attacked, twice by the same dog!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

AU was attacked, twice by the same dog!

Post by Stormy Peak »

He's a bit shook up but no damage done.

I went to the farm and ranch place with him, and even had a couple of wonderful encounters inside the building with a few dogs. One encounter was especially fun to watch with a 1 year old female lab. Both of them ended up laying on the floor rolling around and pawing and mouthing each other with tails just wagging.
The labs' owners were just tickled over how well their dog was behaving with AU and how friendly AU was, we let it continue for about 3 or 4 minutes then went our separate ways each of us with happy playful dogs in tow.
After that, I actually got some stuff I went in there to get a package of dog treats, and paid for them and headed out to the parking lot.

As I was went out the automatic slide-open doors - about 5 feet ahead was one of the employees. He also owns a golden and has paid AU a lot of attention even from the first time AU went in there at around 11 weeks old.
He had, what looked to me, to be a dalmatian x greyhound mix happily moving around his feet. Since they were right in front of me, I stopped and asked if it was his dog. He said, 'No, the dog was just running loose in the parking lot and he was hoping to spot the owner."
AU was all relaxed and happy after having that short playtime with that lab and he went over to smell the dog and that dog...to me...looked relaxed too. There was no posturing, no hackles raised, no growling.

I told the young man, that I could stay outside and keep an eye on that dog if he wanted to run in a find/or send an alert over the store's paging system, to see if the owner was in there.
He was like 'You'll do that?" and I said, "Sure, I doubt the dog will stray too far, since it looks like it wants to stay near a human and now AU too".

This whole thing took only like 40 seconds of our time...and I had just finished saying "AU, too" when BANG...that dog suddenly and viciously lit into AU. The young man, reached down and pulled the dog off AU, and held it up to his chest, which scared me to death. because the way that dog went off it's rocker, I was worried it could turn around and bite the young man's face. But the dog settled really fast and the young man said he was just going to take it in the store and see about finding out if the owner was in there.

Several people saw the attack including one of the young women who work at the place...she had just got out of her car and was coming our direction when AU was attacked. She came up and said she knew that other dog...and would go help find the owner and she asked if AU was ok.
I had by then, already put down my shopping bags and was inspected AU for any puncture wounds or opened skin....anything that might need medical attention. He was fine, but shaking until I thought I could hear his bones rattle. I told the girl, I thought he was ok...and she went inside to help see if the owner was in there and I gathered up my bags and headed to my car, which was just ahead, parked in a handicapped spot.

I put my stuff in the back, and then a man came over and asked how AU was, and I told the gentleman that he was shaken up a bit but not hurt. And he told me he saw that dog attack AU for no reason...and said he would be a witness if I were to report it. I told him thanks...and then....

Out of the corner of my eye I see this woman walking past my car and that dog is right next to her - as is the young man who worked at the farm and ranch place. He headed for me, asking me how AU was, and I said fine....and once again...just as I finished my sentence, here came that dog!

It came at a dead run, and at about 4 feet away from AU...he launched himself right off the ground and smashed into AU so hard, that AU actually timbered over falling on his right side with that dog straddling him and trying for AU's neck. AU weighs like 75 pounds and that dog probably 40 pounds - but at that speed and the way it slammed into AU, poor AU didn't have a chance.

That young man was So FAST! Both he and the man I was talking with, reached down - the young man grabbed the dog and the older man pulled AU away once that dog was hauled off of him.

Then owner came running up, and straddled her dog which by now was in a sitting position, being held by that young man. She grabbed her dog by the back of the scruff of the neck, and then she slapped the dog really hard on the ribs and started to shake it by the scruff, while screaming NO! at it.
I told the owner, "There's no reason to hit the dog now...what's done was done". I turned to look at AU, who was already being looked at by the young man and the older man. We couldn't find anything wrong with him again...no bites...but he was shaking even more if that was possible.

The lady hauled her dog away, still holding it by the back of the neck. I thanked the older man for his help and he left, and the young man...he was just apologizing over and over (like it was his fault or something) - I guess as an employee, he did think it was partly his fault for some reason.

I told him, AU's was ok, but hopefully, that woman, would learn to leave her dog home or make sure it's secured before leaving it alone in the back of her pick truck.

The young man...said 'bye' and walked away and I opened the door and let AU into my car, when that dog's owner walked by heading back to the store.
She, slowed, but didn't stop walking and didn't even apologize. She just looked at me and says, "I beat his ass and put him inside the truck with the windows rolled up so he can't get out and so he can think things over.
She then sped back up, and walked back into the store.

That encounter happened so fast that I couldn't ask her how long she was going to be in the store...it was 80 degrees outside and no dog should be locked inside of a vehicle. But, I was almost as rattled as AU, and while I wanted to talk to her about what happened and preventing it from happening again... and to let her know how fast a dog can die locked up in a vehicle when it was 80 degrees outside, I just instead got into my car and drove off.

I am not happy with myself for not saying anything about that dog being locked up in a hot car nor in confronting that woman about securing her dog better, or better yet, just leaving it home, since it's not a safe dog be be allowed in public.

I blame the owner, and not the dog in situations like this, and yes, I'v had some friends and family tell me today that I should have reported it to the police. But, again, I was a bit rattled myself - I kind of blame myself too - at least in part - for that first attack.
I was paying attention to the dogs' body language and I didn't see any aggressive posturing or stress attitude. Still...it was a strange dog, with no collar on and I should not have assumed that because it was being playful and bouncy around that young man, that it would be dog friendly too. I should have been on high alert and I failed in that regard. I probably should have just kept going and let that young man deal with that dog.

Also, I was just so hot and tired. My backpain was killing me, and AU was hot and stressed too. I just wanted to get him home - and, as I said, AU was not hurt - so I didn't even think about calling the police and filing against that woman.

I kind of figure too, if I complained too much, that the store might change it's policy about allowing dogs onto/into the premises. And it and one other place here are the only two in town that allow dogs inside.

Anyway, AU's home, he's settled and enjoying a nice bully stick with Jaya nearby munching on hers, too. I wouldn't doubt that, that store has some kind of security footage...maybe on their own they can ban that woman from bringing her dog onto the property. That young man, looked so upset about the whole affair and hopefully, he'll file some kind of incident report with the manager.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Re: AU was attacked, twice by the same dog!

Post by Carole Hanson »

I’m sorry to hear this happened Stormy. It’s good to hear though that AU didn’t sustain any serious injuries from this, let’s hope the woman learns her lesson. And she should be very glad that her dog didn’t seriously hurt AU!

My dog was bitten by another dog once just as we were walking onto our driveway on the way back from a walk. She had 4 puncture wounds where the dog snatched at her. Thankfully for us, the other dog wasn’t ripping at my dog once he bit her, he just stood there with his teeth still biting down. It took 8 people to get that dog off and my dog was pretty shaken too. What’s worse is that the vet we took her too refused to close up the wounds so they got infected and she had to have surgery which imo traumatised her far more than the attack. She’s not a very trusting dog and it was heartbreaking having to leave her overnight at the vets knowing how terrified she was. Thankfully she’s ok these days and doesn’t seem to have changed her outlook on other dogs based on that attack. I hope AU forgets about this attack too.
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Some dogs are very dog reactive and not good around either all dogs or some particular dogs. This is one of the major reasons that people should not let their dogs roam off leash in public areas, because you never know when they will meet a dog they dont like or that don't like them. This happened at the vet clinic yesterday when a dog's owner dropped the leash of their dog and it wandered literally 3 feet from its owner and another dog saw it, got super aggressive, and I had to snatch up the 'loose' dog's leash and haul it away from the Labrador since the owner wasn't close enough to grab the leash. Scared the bajeebus out of me because both were snarling and it was definitely going to be a major dog fight had both not been pulled away. The dog that got super aggressive was a Labrador and the dog I had to haul back was a Newfoundland.
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

My pit mix is very reactive to dogs she doesn't know, especially males, I don't know why, if it's due to an experience she had when she was younger or if she wasn't socialized well or both. She's a rescue, I don't know her history other than she was abused. She's only reactive outdoors mostly on walks, indoors she's fine. Like now, she's currently playing with my 7 week old 9lb Lab/Golden puppy and being a "babysitter" type dog, she's roughly 65lbs, she's very patient and gentle. On walks though she'll lose it if she sees another dog, I walk her in a Do Not Pet vest, helps people back off, she wears a head collar as well, gives me more control. She's never hurt or attacked another dog, but I don't wanna find out if she would.

That's terrible the owner took it out on the dog, unacceptable. Both of my pet dogs have some degree of aggression issues, I'd never take it out on them, that's all me or a former owner. The one I mentioned above I feel she may of just not been properly socialized, I got her at an older age, not much you can do about that, much harder to socialize an older dog. My other pet has human aggression issues, almost always when he feels I'm being threatened, sometimes when he's frustrated. You learn how to handle it, what triggers your dog. If I'm going to certain places, like the vet with my dog reactive dog, I ALWAYS bring a muzzle, it's part of being a dog owner.
Last edited by Jo Ferris 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Dawn Palka
Miler

Post by Dawn Palka »

Stormy you should have gotten a tag number. Think it over... :roll: Yeah, we all know how introspective dogs are. What are the chances you'll see/recognize the owner again? If that happens, see if you can get a tag number just in case you witness her abuse again. I hope her dog is updated on its shots.
Last summer the morning guys I listen to had a feature where one of them sat in a hot car with the window down. He had a thermometer and periodically mentioned the temperature to his colleagues sitting in the nice cool studio. Not pretty unless you were a cactus.

Glad you and AU are okay. Take care of yourself m'kay?
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I do wish I had not been so upset that I didn't drive down that row of cars parking spots to see if I could spot her truck. Most of the vehicles there were trucks and it might have been difficult to see inside the cab anyways...and I didn't know which one was hers. When I got home yesterday, like I said, I was hot, tired, my back hurting and I could feel this pressure in my head that usually means my blood pressure has spiked. I took my blood pressure and it was 210/106 :shock: I take blood pressure pills, one in the morning, and I also have another pill I can take if my blood pressure spikes like that..because sometimes it does happen. So I took one of those, sat down and tried to relax and not fret about what happen...let the adrenaline levels go down. Forty minutes later I checked again and my blood pressure was down to 136/80 -- So, it was probably for the best that I left when I did. I didn't even realize I had that pressure in my head until I was almost home...any longer and my head might have popped off like a bottle rocket's fireworks. :P

I decided to go get that young man a Thank You card and put $20.00 in it...$10 bucks for each time he reached down and put his own safety in danger...he so easily could have been bit if that dog had no human biting inhibitions. I wish I could afford more than that....more like $50...his fast reactions, probably saved AU a lot of pain, and a large vet bill I would have had to wring out of that dog's owner to pay...which could even involve small claims court. My back-pain doesn't allow me to move fast, nor make pulling a 40+ pound dog off of my dog something I could have done quickly....especially when AU was jerking on the leash in trying to escape that dog while it was savaging him. Like I said, that young man was about 3 to 4 feet away each time time and he was on those dogs before I could even take a step or two forward to try to do so.

I will ask him if the farm and ranch place has any means of telling that woman that her dog is banned from the property or at least...that she must muzzle it if she ever plans to park there and leave it in the back of her pickup truck. I don't want to push the matter too much as I am afraid that place could just make the decision that no dogs allowed anymore...and ruin it, not only for me, but for everyone else who loves to bring there pet friendly dogs in there.

It is a small town however, and I'm pretty sure I'll find out about that woman, and I'll probably being having a conversation with her in a near future. :evil: She's an idiot though and I doubt nothing I say will get through to her...but at least I'll be able to know what I wish to say and do so without the cloud of anger and fear(for my dog) getting in the way of things.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000