Shocked to find out real name of author I like

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Shocked to find out real name of author I like

Post by Stormy Peak »

Ok, so back around 2014, I found a book on audio that I really enjoyed, and my library has bought the rest of the series so over the years so I've listened to all of them.

The series is about an ex-soldier, who helped solve crimes in the military, but who then lost his leg from a road mine, and becomes a detective in his civilian life. His estranged dad, also happens to be a super popular rock star and his now dead mom was known as a super groupie -who followed rock stars around in the 1970s/1980s.
He however, rarely lets people know about his parents, and in the first book has very few clients, is living in his office, and is on the verge of bankruptcy, and just called it quits from a 16 year relationship with his girlfriend.

The name of the detective is Cormoran Strike, and the first book was called "The Cuckoo’s Calling" and written by Robert Galbraith.

I never bothered to look him up on the internet until tonight when I thought I would check and see if he's had any other books published -- turns out, he has.
or I should say She has.

Robert Galbraith is the pen name for....

J.K. Rowling ! :o

I never really got into the Harry Potter stuff, finally did listen to all of the books last year...but never connected the writing style with that of 'Robert Galbraith' and the detective Cormoran Strike. I suppose those who followed Harry Potter knew of this...but I really am just shocked to find this out after all of these years. lol.

Even back when Stephen King was outed as being Richard Bachman, I wasn't that surprised...as I had read both and could see pretty easily they had similar writing styles. But J.K. Rowling did a really nice job in switching styles between those 2 series.

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Glenn Escobar
Grade 3 Winner

Re: Shocked to find out real name of author I like

Post by Glenn Escobar »

Cormoran Strike is a Stallion in the Sim, so I am guessing that someone did know this previously. Not positive though.
“In the race for excellence,there is no finish line.”

— His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

Stormy, if ya want, it appears the name (which fits into seventeen characters) "The Cuckoo's Call" is not taken, soooooo...
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

She tried writing another book post Harry Potter that people hated because it wasn't Harry Potter. So she then wrote under a pen name and people loved it.... busted. I love that series.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Funny enough the only reason I even read The Cuckoo's Calling when it came out was because it was written by JK Rowling LOL Its a very good book!
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Nena, I don't know if you read all of them, but the whole series is top notch stuff.
In order:
The Cuckoo's Calling
The Silkworm
Career of Evil
Lethal White

The second book, though...to me...was a bit disturbing as in the story - bits of a manuscript were read, written by a missing author - and that story within the story was a bit...gross. But it was still a well written out mystery and the characters of Cormoran and Robin his assistant are developed some more. I read the last book, Career of Evil not long after it came out in 2015, and that was the complete series up until 2018 when Lethal White was published.

My library didn't get that last book purchased for free audio download until earlier this year and I was on a waiting list as they only purchased 1 copy in that format. Just like real books, the digital ones can only be checked out according to how many copies the library purchases, and my small town library will only purchase the one...and on Very Very rare occasion purchase 2 of the digital downloads formats. Anyway, I've been on the waiting list since I first got a notice that the new one was out. While I waited for these past months, I went back and checked out the others and listened to them again to refresh my memory.

Then last night I see I'm next in line for the last book, only 1 week left for whoever has it...then I can download it. But I was also curious if Richard Galbraith had any other books, stand alone, or even another series out there, so I got online and did a search - and like I said I was just utterly shocked to find out he doesn't exist...but as a pen name for a very famous woman author. I don't know how I've gone all these years and not come across this information. The Cormoran Strike books are one of my favorite series. I hope that J.K Rowling continues the series for some time to come.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Ciano Colly
Sprinter

Post by Ciano Colly »

they made a 7 episode series which was pretty good
it was called c.b.strike
Not sure who produced it but it on xfinity on demand
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Ciano Colly wrote: 4 years ago they made a 7 episode series which was pretty good
it was called c.b.strike
Not sure who produced it but it on xfinity on demand
I have netflix and amazon prime... Prime is listing it but as part of a paid subscription to Cinamax. Which I can't afford. Maybe someday they will offer it as a free Prime series. I had no idea the books had been turned into a television series. Looking at the thumbnails, I like the looks of the guy they got to play as Cormoran.

Thanks for the information on this... I'll at least be aware now that there is a t.v. series now.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Lily Miles March
Miler

Post by Lily Miles March »

To my shame I haven't read the books, only watched the show when it was on the BBC. It's great though, the writing, acting and production are top class. I was so frustrated when it ended, but they're sensibly waiting for J.K. to write another book before making more. Should give me time to read it... in theory

I did read The Casual Vacancy, J.K Rowling's first book after HP, and didn't enjoy it too much for some reason. Maybe because I live in the West Country near a small town that's pretty similar to Pagford haha.