Fundraiser - Travis Roy Foundation

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Fundraiser - Travis Roy Foundation

Post by Garret Folsom »

Hello Sim-Universe,

Buckle up, this might take a while, as I'm pretty passionate about this. For the past 18 years, I have played in a Charity Wiffle Ball Tournament (Yes, you read that correctly). The tournament benefits the Travis Roy Foundation which grants money to people with Spinal Cord Injuries for things that are not covered by most insurances. This is things like a lift for a vehicle so the person can get in and out of their van, or lift to bring the person to their bedroom on the 2nd floor of their house. Maybe it's a voice activated computer. Things like that. The foundation also supports research for a cure for spinal cord injuries.

For those of you that unfamiliar with Travis Roy, in 1996 he was a Freshman at Boston University and played on the Hockey Team there. Then, 11 seconds into his first game, he fell awkwardly into the boards headfirst and became paralyzed. For the past 20+ years, his foundation has been helping those in situations such as his. The Wiffle Ball tournament started in 2002. It takes place in the Backyard of Pat O'Connor, who built a roughly 1/4 size replica of Fenway Park. The first tournament had 7 teams and raised $4,000. Now, 18 years later, there are two more fields (a Replica of Wrigley Field and a replica of Field of Dreams), there are 32 teams. The tournament and Travis' Foundation have been highlighted on ESPN and Sports Illustrated. Last year's tournament raised over $500,000. The foundation is almost entirely run by volunteers (in recent years they have had to add a few paid employees because of how big they have gotten), which means that almost all of the money that you don't goes directly to those that need it, unlike many other charities that have big costs that limit the effect of your donation.

The way they are able to raise such a large amount is thanks to the great people that participate. Participants are expected to try to fund raise instead of having an entry fee for teams. They also have setup special tiers that people can shoot for. They are called the 20/20, 30/30, 40/40 and 50/50 tiers. What that means, if you reach the 20/20 tier, that means you were able to get 20 different people to donate $20 or more. 30/30 means 30 people donated $30 or more, I bet you can guess what 40/40 and 50/50 mean... If you reach one of those tiers you earn a little something that makes you stand out during the tournament. It used to be that 20/20 got a Green or Red wrist band, 30/30 got Green or Red socks. 40/40 and 50/50 got special socks and/or wrist bands. This year 30/30 and above get special hats. It's a great idea that has received a great response.

I was the first person to ever bat in this tournament back in 2002 (I struck out). I'm one of less that 10 people that have played in every single tournament. I was the first person to get a major injury during the tournament (I broke and dislocated my pinkie sliding into third base - but I was safe). Our team won the first two championships and picked up a 3rd championship in 2017. The weekend of the tournament is like a second Christmas. I get to reconnect with friends (some of them as close as family) that I only get to see once a year. I've made so many friendships over the years with many great people. And, I will continue to do so until those with Spinal Cord Injuries are able to stand up and get onto the field with us.

2 years ago, I was able to get 25 people to donate. 22 of them were $20 or more and I raised $805.00. Last year, I was able to get 50 different donors, 45 of them gave $20 or more, 34 of them gave $30 or more and I raised $1,518.00. So, I went from 20/20 in 2017 to 30/30 in 2019. I'm hoping to get to 40/40 this year and I have 10 people so far that have already donated. The tournament is coming up on August 9th, 10th and 11th. While I have focused on the amounts above, realistically, I just want people to give what they can. I believe that the Foundation is doing great things and I think that eventually, there will be a cure. So, if you can donate $5, I'll be thrilled.

If you are interested in making a donation, please do so here http://events.travisroyfoundation.org/s ... fr_id=1120. Any donation will earn you 1 free breeding to any of my stallions. A donation of $20 or more will earn you 1 free breeding to every stallion that I own for this year. If I buy or retire a new stallion, they are added to the list. You don't even have to use all of them, just use whichever ones you want, for free. A donation of $40 or more will earn you 1 free breeding to every stallion that I own for the next 2 game years. A donation of $100 or more, same deal, but for 4 game years. Just put your SIM Name as the "Recognition Name" when you donate.

I'll end this with another link. This is a video just put out about some of the things that the foundation has done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRoNzfD ... lnBg7oo8o8.
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Re: Fundraiser - Travis Roy Foundation

Post by Jo Ferris »

This is an awesome cause! Injuries that that are hard enough to adjust to both physically and mentally without having to worry about money to get equipment for the person to get around their own house/car/ect. I don't have money to donate myself, I'm off work for 2 months due to a broken arm. However I'd like to offer free breedings to my stallions as well for those who can donate, feel free to set breedings to my studs up however you'd like Garret :)
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

Thank you, Jo. Will do
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

Jo has 1 Paint Sprinter, 6 Paint Mids and 2 Paint Routers currently standing.

I have 1 Arabian Sprinter, 2 Arabian Routers, 4 QH Routers, 7 Dirt Routers, 3 Turf Routers and 4 All Weather Routers currently standing.

That's 30 free breedings (If no other horses are retired) for a $20 donation. Potentially 60 free breedings (if not pensioning or newly retired horses) for a $40 donation and 120 breedings if you donate $100 or more.
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

Just under 2 weeks until the tournament. If you would like more information about the tournament or the foundation, please reach out. Thank you.
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

The tournament is now, just over a week away. Still looking for the the first simster donation. Please reach out for any additional information that would encourage you to donate.

Also, please note that some of the games are being streamed online at www.packnetwork.com. On Saturday the 10th at 9:30am EST you can probaly watch my team play against a team of former Boston University hockey players including NHL players Jack Eichel, Charlie McAvoy and Matt Grzelcyk
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

If there is an Alan Springer in here, can you PM in game so I can make sure to...

1st) Say thank you.

2nd) Make sure that you get your free breedings.

3rd) Thank you again
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

We have 3 people that have made a donation now. I really appreciate the support!!!

It will really help someone in need!
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

One of the donors has asked to have their free breedings given to a new player. If you are a new player, please reach out to request a slot of 7 free breedings. There are 4 slots available.
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

Travis Roy just sent the following email to the participants. The email was titled "Why We Do This… Travis Roy Foundation Wiffle Ball Tournament"

Please have a read.

Hello Participants, Friends, and Donors,
This Friday the 18th Travis Roy Foundation WIFFLE Ball Tournament will take place in Essex, Vermont. We will raise an astounding amount of money, especially when you consider that two of the pieces that bring us together are a yellow plastic bat and a funny white plastic ball. However, the most important reason we all come together is to try to make a difference for those living with paralysis and for their loved ones. I want to share a few personal thoughts to help you understand why your support is so important to me and others like me.
This October will mark the 24th year I have lived my life from a wheelchair. For those of us that are paralyzed we try to make the best of our lives, but in our hearts, our souls, and in our minds, we all feel deep sadness, loss, frustration, and exhaustion. I hate paralysis, it's evil.
One question that every paralyzed survivor thinks about when they are first injured is how long until there will be a cure. After I was injured I figured I would absolutely walk again someday and anything short of that was unacceptable. I have since learned that curing paralysis is a much more complicated task than I ever imagined.
As much as we would like to walk again, I've also come to realize that even small gains would drastically change the lives for quadriplegics. If I could only have enough of my arms and hands so that I could use adaptive equipment to drive a car again that would give me enormous freedom. Having just a little dexterity would allow me to feed myself, possibly even get myself dressed and maybe allow me to live extended periods of my life with no care attendant in my home. That last one would be a miracle! A small advancement in research could easily lead to major gains in independence.
In the summer I spend time in a cottage I built up on Lake Champlain in Vermont. There are other homes in the area that belong to cousins, my parents, and my sister. We play a lot of boardgames, cards, and do jigsaw puzzles. There is always a jigsaw puzzle on my kitchen table and people peck away at it. Sometimes I will sit by the table and direct a family member to pick up a certain piece and then tell them where I think it goes. Last night my dad put the frame together and then pulled out a bunch of blue pieces that would make up the car in the center of the puzzle. This afternoon I noticed all the blue pieces were still in a pile in the middle of the puzzle. I started pushing them around with my right hand and with a little saliva and pressure I could actually put them together. I should have taken a photo of what I started but I never thought that I would end up using this story in this email tonight. Just for kicks I went ahead and did a quick video to show you how I did each piece. Sometimes I even impress myself with what I can do with my limited abilities and wonder how much more I could do if researchers could just figure out small advancements. I look forward to the day when I can open up the box and do the puzzle from start to finish on my own, because if I can do that, imagine all the other things I could do!
Thank you for supporting the work of the Travis Roy Foundation.
Sincerely,
Travis

The link to donate is in the original post.
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

Tomorrow afternoon I am heading to the tournament (I guess it's only a 30 minute drive to where I'm staying for the weekend), but I'm making a last ditch effort to get donations. My team is getting close to having raised $40,000 over the last two years. I'm only $145 away from having raised $3,000 myself over the last two years.

Just so you don't have to scroll back to the top, here is the link...

http://events.travisroyfoundation.org/s ... fr_id=1120
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Donated.
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Hunt »

I currently do not any extra to donate, but what an awesome cause! If there is anyone who has donated and is interested in a TS Stallion, I'll donate a breeding to Kid Galahad.
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

I want to thank all that donated, and all that reached out to offer in-game support as well. My total raised with friends, family and the SIM universe is $1,728.00. For an update on the results so far. We have won our first two games (12-6 and 16-2). We play again this morning for a chance to go to playoffs.

Now, for the really important part. As of 2:30 yesterday, the event as a whole this year, has raised over $685,000, already a record for most money raised during a single tournament, with more to be coming in!!! In the 18 year history, we were just about $100,000 shy of having raised $6 million total.
Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Hunt »

Garret Folsom wrote: 4 years ago
Now, for the really important part. As of 2:30 yesterday, the event as a whole this year, has raised over $685,000, already a record for most money raised during a single tournament, with more to be coming in!!! In the 18 year history, we were just about $100,000 shy of having raised $6 million total.
That is awesome!!