I Might Actually Slap Someone

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

I Might Actually Slap Someone

Post by Lily Wilkins »

So I am pregnant, which means I'm experiencing the THRILL of doctor's visits!

Today was visit number one. They decided to do my preliminary panel of bloodwork to make sure everything looks good. Now, fun fact about me: I freaking HATE (HATE HATE HATE HAAAAAAATE) getting blood drawn... Why? Because legit every time I have ever had it done, I get poked a bazillion times and need to sit with a hot-pack on my arm, and it's just a stressful experience. Add on the fact that I will literally come UNHINGED if I even see the needle, and it can make things a little tense.

I have NEVER had a nurse successfully stick me in my left arm. It is my dominant arm and the veins are just too deep. I told the nurse this, but she went in for the kill on the left anyways... And failed (surprise, surprise). So, she called in her more experienced and way less personable coworker, who, when I mentioned that my other arm is better, had the balls to ask me if I am an IV drug user (*?). Umm, no, I just know my body because I have been through this s***show before.
Grumpy lady tried my right arm and failed, so she moved on to my hand (ouch) and failed again. They told me that I would have to drink more water and come in tomorrow. BUT WAIT, a third nurse decided she wanted a go!!! So, she poked my only un-poked area left; my other hand. AAANNND she failed.

So here I sit, covered in poke marks and bruises, chugging water like a crazy woman for tomorrow morning, and praying that the next 7 months of doctor appointments aren't like this... Cause I just. Might. Slap. Someone.
“ 𝐴𝑧𝑒𝑙 πΈπ‘žπ‘’π‘–π‘›π‘’ β€›
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | Leased Out Y66
Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Re: I Might Actually Slap Someone

Post by Rochelle Bos »

That seems like a HUGE failure on the nurse's parts! I also have problems with needles and when they take my blood I flat out tell them that I have fainted, and also puked on people. They always lay me down and use the tiny butterfly needles! I can't believe they didn't listen to you!
β™› KINGSWOOD β™›
Pensioner Program
β€’ Pension your 2yo or older horse
β€’ Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
β€’ Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Sorry you had a bad experience.

My right arm, I was told by a nurse at a blood donation drive...is not good for drawing blood, she said that the vein was under a tendon or ligament or something that was just too much in the way, but that my left arm, the vein was easy to get to. So I tell nurses about that and I won't let them try my right arm first. I've never had one try to talk me into doing so either...they just go to the left arm.

Still.. I have no fear or stress over needles or the sight of blood. Before I found out from that blood donation nurse, I was once in the doctor's office and this new nurse tried to take my blood...she stuck me a few times...then started to get upset on the 3rd try. On the 4th try, she started to cry. I felt so bad for her and told her not to worry, that it didn't hurt and there were still a few more areas on my arms she could go for and try to get it, but she was too upset and said she would go get help. My doctor came in and nailed it on the first try. I had some bruises that were a little tender from it all, but I've had worse bruises falling off my bike when I was a kid...lol so things like that just don't bother me. I think too, that I have a high threshold for pain, it takes quite a bit to really slow me down or stop me.

I hope from here on out, your doctor visits and pregnancy go smooth.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Dawn Palka
Miler

Post by Dawn Palka »

That nurse doesn't know what she's doing. I have to have regular (every few months) draws to check my thyroid levels AND I have small, hard to see veins. Thank god, I never tried drugs; I'd be a horrible addict. Anyway, the nurse/tech needs to know what she's doing. I usually have to make a fist, but the tech usually uses a vein on my left (dominant hand). They're pretty easy to see and she uses the butterfly needles. I still turn away though. Sounds like you need to look for another doc, or at the very least say something to your current one. You're the one paying him!
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

They tried again today with butterfly kits and a hot pack, still no luck. Boy, this is going to be one LONG pregnancy if every blood test goes like this.
I'm being sent to a lab that has "vein finding lights." Hey, whatever gets the job done at this point. My arms look like i've been shooting up!!

Thanks for indulging me in my misery, guys. I appreciate it! The community here is tops <3
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
Ashley Gibson
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Gibson »

The good news is there's not a ton of bloodwork after the initial panel (unless you do the optional testing like the genetics and the neural tube) unless they suspect something is wrong. They only took mine once other than the genetics and initial panel. I always say they have one vein they can hit. The others always look good and then they aren't.

I had to be hospitalized twice because of blood pressure issues (and they took her the second time) and both times they had to bring in the IV team with the ultrasound machine to start my IV and they still had a grand old time. Last time my IV was below my one good drawing vein so they had to poke and prod and search for other veins because they couldnt use my tiny vein that is only good for draws (and is permanently bruised).

I actually do better if I can see the needle. I tend to panic if I can't. (I had to be airlifted once and they had to sedate me because I couldnt see the needles and panicked and they worried that I would cause issues with the helicopter).

The most important thing is to remember that in the end the bulk of the bad stuff you won't remember. What you will remember is that little angel you take home. This is coming from someone who swore they would never have kids, didnt have a great delivery and has the most perfect 12 day old baby in the world.
"I think it needs to be reiterated that Ashley Gibson is my hero.." - John Slotman (March 4, 2010 0757)

4:16 PM [John Slotman] I don't even know where to start.
4:16 PM [John Slotman] Except I heart Ashley.
Brad Fabman
Derby Contender

Post by Brad Fabman »

I have had those moments too where they have to bring in the second and third string blood suckers to try to get blood. I once had one at one doctors office I used to go to that never hurt me and never ever missed. She was really good. Too bad the doctor was a putz. I have a fatty liver which is caused by 3 of the medications they have me on. He told me I had to quit drinking. Ha! That's good because I don't drink. I told him that maybe he should ask first before just assuming I'm an alcoholic. He is no longer my doctor. So now I get my blood drawn more often than not by two or three blind mice. It's a curse.
Fabman Farms - Simmy Awards Won: Y54-Quarter Horse Champion Three Year Old Female - Beena's Gold
Dawn Palka
Miler

Post by Dawn Palka »

Medical centers should just use politicians--lord knows they're very good at sucking blood out of you! Or leeches.
Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Hunt »

Yes thankfully it's usually only once to 2 times to get your blood drawn while pregnant, the genital panel, and then to check your glucose levels around mid-pregnancy, and then once after you have baby to check and make sure no infections have set in. I used to have a fear of needles, but after 4 kids, it is gone lol!

When I went in to be induced with #4, I told them that I have little veins so I need the butterfly kits, and tough skin on my hands (They have to use heat packs to get my veins to pop enough to find them). Anyway I had 3 nurses trying to get an iv started with no luck. Right arm got stuck 4 times, right hand 3, left arm 3, and left hand 2 times. Finally they went got a flight nurse who got it in right away. One of the nurses kept saying "I dont want to dig around on you to find a vein." All the while digging for one. They could have done a pic line, but during pushing that's not a very safe option.
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

Every place I go with my dad, they have a really hard time drawing blood from him. He's in his 80's, so it's become more difficult over time. The veins that don't dance around either collapse or they poke through and can't seem to back the needle up correctly and THEN the vein collapses! I keep telling them instead of trying to get the dust out of his smaller veins, they should just go for the jugular where the freshest blood is. I'm a terrible son. ;)
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

I'm enjoying reading all of your responses to this thread; Isn't doctor stuff just the best?!
I ended up going to LabCorp, and the phlebotomist there got what she needed the first try... I was so thankful! That will be where I go from now on for any bloodwork.
My 20-week ultrasound is in two weeks and I am so excited to find out the gender!
Ashley Gibson wrote: ↑4 years ago The most important thing is to remember that in the end the bulk of the bad stuff you won't remember. What you will remember is that little angel you take home. This is coming from someone who swore they would never have kids, didnt have a great delivery and has the most perfect 12 day old baby in the world.
Aww congratulations, Ashley! I am so glad to hear that after all of that, you and baby are healthy and things are good :)
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
Polk Buffalo
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Polk Buffalo »

I have fainted twice. Once was when we practiced inserting needles on each others hands, sitting at a table during med school. I thought taking care of a fainting patient was good training for my friends... :)
Luckily I dont have any problem with other peoples blood... you wouldnt like an operating doctor that was lying down and looking away, would you ?

Good luck with the ultrasound!
Polk Buffalo Stallions
Yoboki Arabian Router 40k
Blue Daub Adee Appy Mid 20k

and many more...
Andrea Bouwkamp
Eclipse Champion

Post by Andrea Bouwkamp »

OMG! I feel so bad for you. My sister is a nurse and she says some people are really hard to draw blood from and some people are very vascular and easy. She says most people fall in the middle somewhere and it’s up to the medical professional to do the job right.
My veins are very vascular and most of the time no problem but there have been a couple times where the nurse stabbed the crap out of my arm. It sucked.
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I do 10 jumping jacks before I sit down - everyone looks at me like I'm nuts - but it's the only way to get the veins dilated enough for them to draw it; I'd rather get weird looks than sore arms.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Dawn Palka
Miler

Post by Dawn Palka »

Steve Leavitt wrote: ↑4 years ago I keep telling them instead of trying to get the dust out of his smaller veins, they should just go for the jugular where the freshest blood is. I'm a terrible son. ;)
Yes you are, Dracula. Bet you don't buy any garlic at the grocery store! :twisted: