Handicapped parking... I changed things! : )

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Handicapped parking... I changed things! : )

Post by Stormy Peak »

So, around 2014,when I got hurt, and ended up in a wheelchair for 4 months, I also ended up with a handicapped parking placard. This is because my back and my right leg have permanent nerve damage. I don't use it all of the time, but there are some days when I do need a cane, or I know that I'll be in the store for a while and by the time I get done, I will be desperate to not have to walk too far to get back to my car.

Our largest grocery store in this town as 12 handicapped parking spots, 2 spots to the left and right of each parking lane. Think of a H shape...and with each vertical bar above and below the horizontal one being a parking space...4 spaces That area in the middle is painted with Yellow diagonal lines...and no one should park there, because that is the space where people with wheelchairs and walkers can unload, open the doors all the way and just get carts up to the car...etc.

But guess where the idiot owner put the shopping cart 'cage' -- right over that 'no-parking' area meant for handicapped people to have space to get into and out of their car. :evil: :roll:

The side rails of the cages are so close to the outside edges that one can barely squeeze into a car because the door can't be opened all the way. People trying to get out of a car and into a wheelchair, or someone getting out of a car and trying to use a walker has a hard time. AND...if you have a grocery cart...forget about it...and also even on the side that might be open...if a car is parked there you can't get a cart up to a door either...which is important for people who are weak, or in pain, or have limited motion...as then they have to keep walking to the back of the car (or the front if one reverses into the spot) to get groceries out of the cart and into the car.

I finally got fed up with that. :evil: I was in such pain last Wednesday, and it was like 95 degrees outside, and I was using my cane, and had to once again squeeze my way between my car and that shopping cart cage railing. And when I brought my shopping cart out later, had to make several trips from the cart to the car to get my groceries into the back seat.

I saw an employee collecting carts to take in and I motioned her over and asked if she could relay a message to the owner. I didn't get angry with her, as it's not her fault, but I showed her those stripes on the pavement and explained to her, that they were there for a purpose. Asked her to tell the owner that the shopping cart cage should have Never been placed in those areas, as it's a loading/unloading zone for handicapped people to get in and out of their vehicles and to get shopping carts closer to the vehicles too. I also mentioned that it might even be illegal that the owner placed those cages there.

My sister and I went to that store last night...and guess what... All the cages had been Moved!!!!

Now handicapped people can use the spots as they were meant to be used - I'm sure there will many, like me who will be so happy to see those cages out of our way. The more mobile people will have to park a space or 2 further down...but you know, if I could walk and lift bags of groceries easily and without pain, I would trade in my handicapped placard and walk from the end of the parking lot to the store every time if I had to without a complaint.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Re: Handicapped parking... I changed things! : )

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Brava Stormy! You must have been well spoken for the girl to carry your thoughts forward. Makes you feel good, doesn’t it! Well done!
Dawn Palka
Miler

Post by Dawn Palka »

Glad you said something and the corrals were moved. As I was reading your post, I was thinking ADA violation!!
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

A happy ending! Nice!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG