DNA Testing

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

DNA Testing

Post by Jo Ferris »

Hey horsey people! So I'm considering getting my 5yo gelding DNA tested. For those who don't know, he was an accidental foal out of my Appaloosa mare, she wasn't registered as far as I know so I know nothing about her genetics and I don't know who Patriot's sire is. Patriot is an overo paint, either black or a dark brown or bay. I have no plans to ever sell him or register him so this is basically for my own curiosity. I'm wondering if anyone here has done this, was it useful? Was it worth the money? Any recommendations for who to go through? I'm looking at Etalon, their prices seem reasonable, a minipanel including color, dilutions, markings, Appy/Paint patterns, a couple traits and some health for $99, and sounds like they're pretty good and easy to do.
Last edited by Jo Ferris 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Re: DNA Testing

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

I had to have my filly tested to prove her parentage as we bred her with frozen. I did it with UC Davis, very easy to do, and pretty affordable. I think it was well under $100 for WFFS and parentage (I didn't do color panel, but they offer it), but I also did her dam for WFFS at the same time so I don't recall the exact price breakdown.
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Kinda related...maybe? Okay not really... My parents DNA tested their mutt rescue doggo and it was really cool to see what her Heinz 57 recipe was and fun to learn all the traits she had inherited from each!

I’d be very interested in learning about Patriot’s genetics! That sort of stuff fascinates me!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

I think its a whole different process when you are a) trying to prove a particular stallion is the sire in the case of frozen semen, and b) trying to find out who in the entire world may have sired a foal, especially since many intact males are unregistered. You may get an answer on what breed the sire may have been more closely linked to, as in the case of the dog testing. But I am not 100% sure.
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

I'm not concerned with finding out who his sire is, I know that's not going to happen and like I said, I'm not planning to register him so I don't need to know his sire. Also he's a gelding so no plans to breed 😆. I'm more interested in finding out genetically what he is, color, health, traits/genetic abilities. I know his sire's a Paint, likely QH just based on the fact I know his dam is an Appy (don't know her pattern, likely varnish roan) and he came out an Overo and has a bulky QH build compared to his dam. It'd be cool to find out his ancestry but not needed to cure my curiosity. Color, patterns, health and traits are my real curiosity. Genetics fascinate me. I'm also dying to know if he'll wind up with Appy spots (doubt it, but possible given his momma), curiosity kills the cat, or in this case, the horse owner.
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k