I have a wonderful vet.

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

I have a wonderful vet.

Post by Stormy Peak »

I went to town today, and upon coming home, I turn off the highway and am going down a paved lane that leads to the dirt drive/alley that goes to my home. I was almost there, when a black and white cat came up onto the road and sat down facing my car. I rolled to a stop...and then crept a little closer, thinking the cat would move. It didn't.

Then I got a closer look at it's face and thought it's nose looked odd...really big and a lot of pink in the coloring. The cat just sat there, so out of curiosity I got out of my car and walked up to it, to see that the poor thing's nose was completely gone making a deep V shaped cavity up into the sinuses. It's eyes were watering and it was really dirty and I could see all the spinal bones in it's back. The pink I saw was the open wound...from where it's nose use to be.

I talked to it, to see how it would react and it stood up and walked towards me and I could hear it purring. I very carefully petted it, and when it didn't hiss or spin to bite I picked it up, and it stayed well mannered. So I put it into my car and took it to my vet, rather than the shelter, because it was going to have to go see a vet anyways. I was hoping my vet could get some shelter funds to help pay for helping it.

When I got to my vet's and told her I had a cat that was more than likely dumped off on that little country road, she took a look at it and winced, and said she would see what she could do for it. And it turned out, she told me our shelter has a really bad habit of killing stray and injured cats but tries to save the dogs....even though it advertises itself as a no kill shelter.

My vet said that she would get an IV going on the cat, it was dehydrated as well as half starved, and she would also see that it got some antibiotics tonight, as well as some soft food. She said that with the nose gone, it might not be able to smell...and might not eat for that reason...smell helps with tasting things. But she also noticed that on each side of the wound, there was a very small bit of black nose tissue left...maybe enough to help with the smelling of things. Anyways, even if she has to put it to sleep, it's last days will be in a warm place with a soft blanket, some food and water....rather than having such a terrible wound in the frigid cold of Idaho weather. My vet mentioned that people do donate to her place and she uses those funds for cases just like that cat. And I know my vet will do her best to save that cat. And it helps that the cat, who looked fairly young, was very people friendly and purring when handled...rather than hissing even though in pain.

So many vets out there anymore won't do stuff like that...they want paid upfront for anything they do. I'm glad my vet will take on charity cases...I've seen a few other animals she's helped out like that, some even requiring several operations.

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Re: I have a wonderful vet.

Post by Darcy McBride »

There's still some vets out there that do wonderful things. I had a veterinary good friend that did amazing things, and never rec'd a dime for it. She is gone now, but was one of a kind! I'm glad you picked up the cat, and regardless of what happens to her, she is in a safe and loving place. Good story, Stormy.
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

When I was still on the racetrack, we had a horse vet that would help out with the cat population on the track. Whether it was shots or neutering, she never charged anybody a dime. She even helped me out with my house cats. I’m sure she’s still at it! Bless her!

Your vet is truly a one of a kind gift! Thanks for sharing your story Stormy, it gives me hope.
Katie Stepanian
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Katie Stepanian »

Aww poor cat. Thank you for stopping and helping her and kudos to your wonderful vet too whatever the outcome! She’s now warm and safe whatever.
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

Poor kitty. Thanks Stormy for taking the time to get the cat and get her to safety that will hopefully transmit into a full, long life. And, yes, you have a great vet. Kudos to her for taking on an injured animal in hopes of helping her to either recover or cross the rainbow bridge without any additional pain.
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I went out to my vet's today and gave her $10.00 that I scrounged out of the coins I had saved...used one of those machines to run the coins through to get cash...and donated that towards the care of the kitty. It's a drop in the bucket, but it's all I had for extra cash. :P

My vet said that she thinks the cat will be ok, it's eating and being a real sweet heart with everyone who pays it any attention...and handled it's exam really nicely too, no hissing or spitting, even though in a bit of pain. I asked her what she thought happened, and my vet says, that while she's not positive ...that she doesn't think it's so much a trauma injury but one caused by either an infection that ate away the nose, or even a cancer...but she has found signs of healing in some parts of the wound.

Her center doesn't have a lot of fancy equipment, so she sends tests out to a lab to confirm a number of things. So maybe next week she will find out for sure what's going on. If it turns out to be cancer, she said that as long as there doesn't seem to be a lot of pain, and that the cat, while 'snuffeling' a little, is breathing ok for the most part, she won't put it to sleep (I still haven't found out if it's a female or male...I *think* though, that my vet said 'she'. I've been under a huge amount of stress lately and I was a bit distracted due to that, while I was out there.

Anyway, once the cat is out of quarantine, and they see how she reacts to other cats and the dogs, she will more than likely end up being a 'clinic' cat and be allowed the freedom to wander about the clinic as she pleases. Andy always has 5 or 6 dogs of all sizes that do that, plus at least 2 cats or more that are camped out in the lobby on their beds in one corner. It's not unusual to see a worker come in through a door from another part of the clinic and have 2 dogs following her...lol.

Most of the dogs ignore people and pets coming in, a few of them see people as an opportunity to be petted and paid attention too. The cats that have been out there have ranged from being totally blind, but lovable, to a 3 legged cat that loved to lay on the deep shelf of the window...and all of them are up for adoption if someone comes in and gets attached to one of them and Andy feels like they would be good owners. Many of the 'clinic pets' were cast offs, strays brought in, or owners taking them in but never coming back for them...things like that...and most have had serious injuries or need special attention...like the blind cat. Andy said that often it's the ones with missing limbs, or eyes, or like this cat...a nose...that seem to catch the attention of people with sympathetic hearts, the time, and money to adopt and love an animal that has gone through so much. There are a few people in this town like that, who actually come in and take on animals with shorter life spans just so that animal can live in a real home for the last few months or years they have left. So I have a lot of hope that this cat might end up in that kind of home.

BTW, when HaHa was alive, there were times when he had to spend time at the vets, as she boards animals too...but due to his laid back personality and being so friendly towards people and other animals, he was one of the 'clinic pets' too when he stayed there. He didn't often stay in the barn kennels..but in the clinic, allowed to follow everyone around as they worked - it was less stressful for him, especially since he was mentally handicapped and being around humans was better than being out in the kennels where he just didn't adapt very well. He was always a favorite with the workers and those visiting from what I was told. Again... I just love my vet's way of doing things.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Rebecca Rose Hepburn
Hall of Fame

Post by Rebecca Rose Hepburn »

Hey Stormy, have you heard anything more about the cat?
A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.- Pam Brown
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I was going to try to check in on her this week....but so far things in my life have been stress-fully hectic this week and I haven't had a chance to do so. I need to call and get AU an appointment for his shots, so I'll ask about her then. I also tried to get a photo of her, but for some reason it never reached my email. I think I'll just bring my kindle into the vets and get a photo, that way I can email to myself from my kindle and not have to rely on it getting through from a vet tech's phone.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

UPDATE:

I talked with my vet clinic today, and got the sad news that they had to put the kitty to sleep.
They tried various medications on her, but the wound wasn't healing and then she got very lethargic, and wasn't eating. My vet seems to think that it was a fast growing cancer, and it might have gone up into her brain.

I'm sad she didn't make it, but at least her last weeks were in a warm place, she was well feed, and her death was painless. Living outside in an Idaho winter, with that wound, an no food, would have been a miserable long death for her.

I know my vet would not have given up on her if there was any chance of her recovering enough to have a good life.
I wish there were more vets like her.

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

Poor girl, but as you said, at least her last days were warm, safe and with a fully tummy.
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000