Knee Replacements

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Knee Replacements

Post by Steve Leavitt »

This is not a complaint, but just background on what's happened in the past and what's happening in the future. I was a mailman for 33 years before retiring in 2015, after a total of over 40 years of government service. About 12 years into my postal career, I had a problem with my right knee. I had begun to wear it out by constant walking on the job along with always stepping up or down by leading with my right leg. They did a little arthroscopic surgery in 1994 and sent me on my way. Four years later, in 1998, I needed it again, as I was still delivering the same mail route and was still leading with my right leg. Another surgery and I began moving around to other routes until I finally ended up on a great route where I mostly just "stuck my arm out of the window" with very little walking involved. I got that route in 2005, a year after my third arthroscopic surgery on the right knee. They told me it was bone to bone and that I'd need a replacement, but I was against that, as I'd seen others have that surgery done, many with poor results. So I took a lot of vicodin and put up with a lot of pain despite that vicodin. Now, my right leg was shorter than my left leg and because I didn't get the replacement done, I wore out the inside of my left knee to the point where it also must be replaced! The past two years of my retirement have taught me that it's time to get these replacements done, so I scheduled an appointment and was seen by an orthopedic surgeon in Los Angeles, about 240 miles south of me in Clovis/Fresno. He is extremely good and has also embraced robotics assistance in his surgeries. They can do a total replacement with no cutting of muscle or ligaments or any other soft, connecting tissue. They will also "stress" my knee once I'm out and work out how to custom fit my replacement. He tells me my right leg may be longer than my left when he's done and they will evaluate me for a possible lift in my left shoe until I get the left knee replaced. (Which we're thinking will be about January, 2021.) They would also send me home THAT DAY or the NEXT DAY if I lived locally, but because I live further, they will hold me for 2-4 days for observation before letting me go to begin rehab locally in Clovis. I scheduled this first surgery for early summer to coincide with my wife's time off from work (special ed school nurse), so it's being done on June 9th. NOW I'm looking at the SIM calendar and this all falls right into place! I'm getting the surgery during the break between Y55 and Y56! I have confidence that after both surgeries are done, that I will be pain free and able to enjoy walking tours as we travel both in country and out of country, plus I can take up golf again! I am honestly, really looking forward to this summer and next winter! My first "big test" will be a walking tour of Israel we're taking in the summer of 2021. On the other hand, isn't it odd that I find the most exciting part of all of this, is that the surgery occurs during SIM break? Ah, priorities! :lol: 8-) :!:
T.D. Palm
Grade 3 Winner

Re: Knee Replacements

Post by T.D. Palm »

From one former mailman to another....best of luck with your surgeries.
It's better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it.
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

Best of luck with your new knee! I hope that the surgery & subsequent pt go well and you are quickly better than before & pain free.
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Good luck with the surgeries! I hope the recovery goes perfectly and you get a new lease on life.

For anyone else who might be getting knee replacements, my Dad was on the public waiting list to get his done. While he was waiting he started taking gelatin. It helped him so much that when he got the call up for his surgery they actually sent him home without it because he’d regained so much function. He got a concentrated form of gelatin and sprinkles a tablespoon in his cereal every morning. So I started feeding it to the horses too and it seems to help.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

They have come a long way with knee replacement surgery! My mother had her knee replaced about 15 years ago. She was diligent about the rehab, and once everything healed, she was 100% pain free in that knee, and very happy! Best of Luck with your surgery, Steve, and do your rehab!

As my brother is a postal carrier, I will alert him to the fact to get ready for future knee replacement. :)
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Steve I had my last complete knee replacement this time last year, i was in for 4 days it would have been 3days but they would not send me home until i could walk up and down a set of stairs with a cruych of course.

The best bit of advise i got was.

To trust and believe in the strengh of your new joint.

I was doing normal gardan duties by end of April.

Frank
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Aloretta Dethly
Miler

Post by Aloretta Dethly »

My uncle has had both of his replaced in the last year and is doing great. Several other people I know that have had one done say that as long as you take the rehab phase seriously you'll be back to normal in no time.
Good luck!
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

Cleo Patra wrote: 4 years ago Good luck with the surgeries! I hope the recovery goes perfectly and you get a new lease on life.

For anyone else who might be getting knee replacements, my Dad was on the public waiting list to get his done. While he was waiting he started taking gelatin. It helped him so much that when he got the call up for his surgery they actually sent him home without it because he’d regained so much function. He got a concentrated form of gelatin and sprinkles a tablespoon in his cereal every morning. So I started feeding it to the horses too and it seems to help.
Interesting. My old runner's knee just flared up and I'll do damn near anything to hurry its departure. Off to the store for some supplements... or maybe just a shopping cart full of beef bones. It is soup season...
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

Darcy McBride wrote: 4 years ago They have come a long way with knee replacement surgery! My mother had her knee replaced about 15 years ago. She was diligent about the rehab, and once everything healed, she was 100% pain free in that knee, and very happy! Best of Luck with your surgery, Steve, and do your rehab!

As my brother is a postal carrier, I will alert him to the fact to get ready for future knee replacement. :)
Replacement surgery really has come a long way. When the surgeon tells me I could walk out on my own, but with a walker for temporary support, on the same day as the surgery, that's just mind boggling. He's doing the surgery at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica, so my wife gets to go shopping for a few days near her old stomping grounds while I'm being "observed". Then she has to sedate me for the drive home! I'm a terrible passenger!
Arthur Cutler
Derby Contender

Post by Arthur Cutler »

Hey Steve I can feel your Pain....I am retired letter carrier of 34 years Flushing NY a couple of blocks away from Citifield or Shea stadium....I retired 7 years ago..About Ten months after i retired i developed a crazy weird autoimmune desease that almost killed me.... I had 7 months of chemotherapy lost 45 pounds in 2 months and was bed and hospital ridden....Believe or not Sims Horse racing was a great outlet for me...A hobby to get away from my physical problems...The best news is that i am super healthy now....There is no cure but the effects of the desease has subsided....The funny thing is i am also going to Israel next year also 2021 to celebrate my 30th wedding Anniversary....Good Luck to you on youir replacement...Its hard to keep an old Mailman down
Jo Ferris
Hall of Fame

Post by Jo Ferris »

Best of luck with your surgeries!! I hope the replacements give you relief. My last surgery was a couple weeks ago, week 15 of Yr 54, it was great, no entering, plenty of time to breed mares/name yearlings.

I can say, after living with bone on bone in my elbow for 3 or so months due to an serious injury and infection, I'm over it, I can't imagine that in my knees. I can't imagine that pain, my elbow is almost unbearable some days, though at least with a knee, replacement is a reasonable option with decent success, elbows it is not. In a few months after the dust settles from all the voodoo this things been through over the last 8 months (3 surgeries, 17 screws, 2 plates that were just removed a couple weeks ago plus that lovely infection that really did it in), I'm definitely getting referred to an out of state hospital, possibly Cleveland, but more than likely Mayo for at least one more surgery, possibly more... 600 miles away, should be interesting. Best part, if I do go to Mayo, I'll get to meet up with the person who got Raven, the first service dog puppy I raised who's now a working guide, they live only a couple hours away, so you know, if we go that far what's a couple more hours
Arabian:
Money Run Low - 7.5k
Cass Ole - 5k
Mugello - 5k
All I'll Praise - 5k
Zandvoort - 10k

Paint:
Toby Flenderson - 15k
One In The Woods - 5k
We Can Be Heros - 5k
FLD Eclipse - 3.5k
Scooter - 3.5k