The Artists of Simhorseracing

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Re: The Artists of Simhorseracing

Post by Sara Julin »

Dawn Palka wrote: 4 years ago I'm glad to meet at least some of the artists! Thanks for introducing yourselves! Question: how do you decide which type (frontal, profile, etc) to use in each shot?
I've also noticed that the shots have gotten more refined(?) over the years. I guess this reflects new skills and/or software. Either way, I love the ones you've done for me!
8-)
Most often it is Em who decides and sends us (the artists) a reference with a pose to work from.
And sometimes (at least for me, I can't speak for the others) I get free reins and get to choose a pose myself ^^

Hihi, us artists keeps on developing our skills and knowledge all the time. If you compare my first portrait for the game compared to now (for example), I have a hard time believing it's from the same artist xD

Image ---> Image
Portrait Artist of the Sim~
Standing Stallions, Crayon, Illegalist
Stallions Soon To Come, n/a
A horse gallops with it's lungs, perseveres with it's heart and wins with it's character~
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Dawn Palka wrote: 4 years ago I'm glad to meet at least some of the artists! Thanks for introducing yourselves! Question: how do you decide which type (frontal, profile, etc) to use in each shot?
I've also noticed that the shots have gotten more refined(?) over the years. I guess this reflects new skills and/or software. Either way, I love the ones you've done for me!
8-)
Em sends us reference photos for the pose :) Sometimes she points out the markings or equipment (like... look how cute of a nose this horse has, also include the blinkers) which usually means, to me, give it a similar style face marking! Sometimes, when she is busy, she will have me find my own reference photos and then I just find a really cool pose that I want to try out LOL! No rhyme or reason... I just find a pic I think suits the name (if the name is like Wild Hurricane, I wouldn't use a horse standing peacefully)

As for being more refined, years of practice definitely helps. Everything gets better the more you do it :) You pick up new techniques (I spend a very large chunk of time watching speed paints as I am a visual learner) or you find new brushes that you like, or learn tips or tricks. Plus the more you study horses, the more details you pick up to put into your drawings!

For example (as Sara also showed) this is the first portrait I ever did in 2014 LOL

Image vs Image
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Kassidy
Sprinter

Post by Kassidy »

Hi I'm Kassidy, I am in real life an oil painter that specialized in portraits of people and their horses. I have drawn horses since I can remember and started painting in 2011. I got with SIM because paints and children don't really mix well (desitin diaper cream was bad enough to have around them) so this has been a great opportunity to me. I actually had never drawn on a tablet before SIM so there was a slight learning curve, and late last year I upgraded to a tablet where I can draw on the screen which is cool, its made life much easier. Here is my process sans a few steps at the start.
I have no formal education but years ago I would travel in state and out of state to take oil painting workshops from some of the top equine and landscape artists in the country.
My favorite artist is Jaime Corum from Ky. Though she has an imagination like you wouldn't believe (check out her lifesize Zenyatta painting!) she is like a superhero to me. Anyway these are some of the steps in my process.

My website is Kassidysmith.com, and I actually had to figure out how to use it again this morning because I hadn't updated it in like 3 years :lol:
SIM Headshot artist
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

Here is my step by step of Maximus for Nini Hunter!

Next time, I will try to remember to take a screenshot of the shadows and highlights before I blend them out LOL! I keep forgetting to.

I am going to attempt a speed paint eventually :)
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I want to say something wonderful and uplifting but my brain keeps going to amazing, just AMAZING! ❤️
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Sara Julin »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjVdNj3dlZM

Phew. It was a good while since I uploaded a speed painting to my Youtube channel, but here we have one ^^
Here you can clearly see how I make my portraits for you guys :) Enjoy!
A horse gallops with it's lungs, perseveres with it's heart and wins with it's character~
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

I love your speed paints. I find it fascinating how you do your mane cus if I tried that... it would look like ramen noodles or something LOL
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Sara Julin »

Nena Olson wrote: 4 years ago I love your speed paints. I find it fascinating how you do your mane cus if I tried that... it would look like ramen noodles or something LOL
Thank you, Nena *giggle*
Haha, ramen noodle XD
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

I’m pretty sure you’re a sorcerer! 😍
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Sara Julin »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 4 years ago I’m pretty sure you’re a sorcerer! 😍
Oh gosh, stopit, Rochelle :3333 <3
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

This is all too cool! I am jealous of your talents! So much fun to watch and even more fun to admire them! Keep up the good work, girls!!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

I'm incredibly fond of our artists!!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Sara Julin »

Darcy McBride wrote: 4 years ago This is all too cool! I am jealous of your talents! So much fun to watch and even more fun to admire them! Keep up the good work, girls!!
Thank you so very much for your kind words, Darcy ^^
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Sara Julin »

The Steward wrote: 4 years ago I'm incredibly fond of our artists!!
(and you're the best boss) ;)
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

The Steward wrote: 4 years ago I'm incredibly fond of our artists!!
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚