At my wits' end

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

At my wits' end

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

So I have a car. A 2016 Chevy Equinox. I've got it after my Encore was totaled in an accident (not my fault, so all covered). I've been very happy with it for 80000 miles.

Then the nightmare started. First it just decided to not start. Turned out it needed a new engine. Really? at 80K? At least that was covered by warranty.

Then the dealership that did the repair stripped off a bolt on the housing for the catalytic converter when they removed the old engine. The mechanic couldn't get he stripped bolt out of the housing, so here's what he did:
- dind;t tell me what happened.
- did tell me my Cat had melted and I needed to replace it ($1200). I said send me a picture. that shouldn't happen at 80K, and if it did, it probably had to do with the engine failure.
- sent me a picture of a perfectly fine cat. I commented that the cat had not melted.
- then told my husband that a bolt 'fell into it'. I said show me where the damage is to the honeycomb where a bolt any larger than you'd use to hold your eyeglasses together could have fallen into it.
- he backtracked and finally said the problem was the bolt that was shorn off on the housing. I said send me a picture of that. He did, and said there was no way to remove the shorn off bolt. My farrier said to bring the cat to him because he could drill and tap it out in half an hour.
- We are now 4 weeks in on rental (not covered by the warranty, by the way). I talk to the service manger who said he'd take a look - really? you haven't even looked by now?
- Service manager drills bolt out in half an hour. cat is replaced. car is ready. 6 weeks of rental (about $1000)
- I pick up the car, and they try to charge me $60 for the service manager's time drilling out the bolt. No way. I go to collect my car that hasn't has any kind of clean, has the service crew's trash in it, oh, and flat tire. Are you freaking kidding me?
- I complain about the whole thing to GM and get crickets.
- everything's fine for 6 more weeks. Now my car has started to splutter on cold start and when idling. Over the last 48 hours it's gotten progressively worse. I'm exhausted by this and can't afford to replace it. This time we are heading back to a different dealer to try again. If we can make it that far.
"I was afraid of Gigi, it was true." Oh yes. Be afraid. Be very afraid...
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Re: At my wits' end

Post by Darcy McBride »

Oh, Gigi, that is horrible! Have you tried taking it to a very good local mechanic? I hate "dealerships" in general. In my experience, they are way overpriced, and I've had some over the years try to pull a few fast ones on me. I've always had much better luck with our local mechanic than any dealership. My whole family has been using the same shop for years, and they are honest and will go the extra mile for you.
I also will never, ever own a Chevy. I've know way too many people that have had major problems with them. I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but I don't know anybody with one. I drive a 2009 Honda CRV and it has 130,000 some odd miles, and other than, tires, belts, oil changes, etc., it just keeps on ticking away. (I hope I haven't jinxed it).

I hope they get this all figured out and fixed well for you. That is ridiculous to have to have a new engine at 80,000 miles, imo. Good Luck!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Leigh Ann Anderson
Hall of Fame

Post by Leigh Ann Anderson »

Gigi, step it up to the regional manager with documentation of the garbage you have been told and what has been done. And that you are out $1000 for a rental. It’s obvious that the dealership has some honesty and management issues. I’ll also echo Darcy’s sentiments and find a reliable local mechanic to look at the car for anything that isn’t covered by the warranty.
Windborn turf router $20000; Nite Skyturf router $18000; Black Tears turf router $5,000; Dream Goodnite turf router $5000; Accend turf router $5000; Independence Hall dirt miler $40000
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Yea my last Chevy ruined me on the brand. Had multiple warranty repairs (strut mounts, power steering leak and fan issue). Power steering leak problem came back right after it was off warranty at that point I switched to stop leak. Then at about 80,000 miles the head gasket went (and took a bunch of other things with it) car had never once overheated why would the head gasket go????
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Brad Fabman
Derby Contender

Post by Brad Fabman »

Also check into the Lemon Law. I don't know if it will apply. We bought a Land Rover from an auction for $2,600 which was an insanely good price. After about a year problems started and they could never get it fixed properly. Finally were told we needed a new engine which wasn't happening. Turned out to be a reoccurring problem with that model vehicle. It took about 5 or 6 months but we got $5,500 from Land Rover for the car.
Fabman Farms - Simmy Awards Won: Y54-Quarter Horse Champion Three Year Old Female - Beena's Gold
T.D. Palm
Grade 3 Winner

Post by T.D. Palm »

First of all: a car doesn't start; the last thing I'm thinking is a new motor. How about the battery; the cables or the starter. Are you sure they put a new motor in your car. Did they show you a receipt for it ? Was it new or rebuilt? Was it OEM (original equipment manufacturer) ? Someone said to talk to the regional manager. I would go right to the top. Begin writing letters to Chevy's corporate office; the president of the company; the CEO; whoever. Tell them you've been a loyal Chevy owner for years.
It's better to have it & not need it than to need it & not have it.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Yeah, like T.D said it's time to start calling corporate. You get ahold of a GM rep and voice your concerns, repeatedly if necessary. You'll get somewhere... eventually. I hate cars, they're all junk. You can quote me on that, as a professional mechanic.
;p
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

Gigi aim at the CEO finish your letter of poor service by dangling the word media publicity.
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Dawn Palka
Miler

Post by Dawn Palka »

Brad Fabman wrote: 4 years ago Also check into the Lemon Law. I don't know if it will apply. We bought a Land Rover from an auction for $2,600 which was an insanely good price. After about a year problems started and they could never get it fixed properly. Finally were told we needed a new engine which wasn't happening. Turned out to be a reoccurring problem with that model vehicle. It took about 5 or 6 months but we got $5,500 from Land Rover for the car.
Came here to say just that. Do you know if your state/province has one? I know Maryland does.
A local TV news crew also has a consumer complaint section called Seven on Your Side. I can personally attest to their efficiency.
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

Most lemon laws don't apply once you are 80k in, unfortunately.

I echo the move it up the chain. Shockingly enough, I've found tweeting the companies is the best way to contact corporate.
You can still file a complaint with the State Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau. Sometimes that helps too.
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

Yes I’m out of the scope of lemon law here but Twitter sure got Chevy to respond! Hopefully we can make some progress now!
"Gigi, you continue to impress the heck out of me." - The Steward. Okay, it was 10 RL years ago, but I'm keeping it.
Ali Hedgestone
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ali Hedgestone »

Go Gigi!!!
Dan Kauffman: 52 mixers previewed. You (and Glenn) should get paid or institutionalized (Y48, W15, D3)
Gigi Gofaster
Hall of Fame

Post by Gigi Gofaster »

So Twitter was definitely the way to go. Tagged Chevy and they were straight in there. Told them the history, sent them the photos of the catalytic converter, and they stepped right up. The dealership we bought the car from (not the one that did the crappy repair and lied about the cat) took the car in, put a brand new engine in at no cost to us, and it all took just a week. Now we are back on the road and the car sounds perfect. Of course, now I don't have anywhere to go...
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Fantastic to hear Gigi! Great customer service from them, glad that nightmare is over for you now.
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

Great news!
Karazhan, Deshaan
Storm Drawing Near (sire of Steward's Cup winner)