Earthquake!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Earthquake!

Post by Stormy Peak »

Wow...Oh...Wow!

It was a Strong one! It lasted quite a while too...like 30 seconds or more. My piano was humming and rocking a bit and I thought I was going to lose the antique oval mirror on the wall above the piano...it was actually thumping back and forth, hitting the wall. My back porch..I could hear it grinding against the house and hear the fiberglass panels on it vibrating and banging about.

Both of my dogs ran to the center of the living room and my cat, Song was laying on my ankles as I was in the recliner. The recliner was moving from left to right with an occasional upward bounce. I think this is the first time I've ever been afraid in an earthquake. It's the longest and strongest one I've felt in several decades.

My sister, who lives about 2 miles from me, said she was in bed watching tv and had to jump up to keep her 40 inch (not sure of exact size) flat screen t.v. from falling off her dresser.

I'm waiting to see what the USGS will report...been on their site hoping to see an update soon.

Stormy (still shaking a bit....no pun intended.) :P
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Re: Earthquake!

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Holy cats! Glad you guys are okay!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

OK... just found it on USGS

It was a 6.5 and 10km in depth and located about 60 miles from my little town...slightly to the south and more to the west. Looks like the epicenter was in a wilderness area. But on the USGS map the shaking covered a very large area.

Edit: A strong earthquake is one that registers between 6 and 6.9 on the Richter scale

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

I hope they are not any more!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Glad to hear you are well Stormy. I hope your damage is limited.
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

How scary! How did the dogs and cats react? Hope all is well in your house and your town?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I might have to have the jacks and blocks under the house checked to make sure they are still in place, but so far I don't see any damage with my home or well shed.

AU was on the sofa when it started and he quickly got down and stood in the middle of the living room. Jaya came running out of her room and they kind of stood head to hip, touching each other along the length of their bodies, both nervously looking around and in fear. Song, was on my ankles as I was in the recliner, she kind of just froze in place...looking around too. But, even a half hour after it happened, AU was still pretty nervous...and he didn't just follow me around the house, but was actually staying so close to me that he was brushing up against my leg as I walked. He just kept looking up and around at things. Jaya and Song seemed to shrug it off pretty fast.

It took me about a half hour to settle down too... I really had a lot of adrenaline flood through my body when it happened and my heart was pounding for a good long time, and even after it settled down, I felt like I had a lump in my chest...maybe from just be so scared and tensed up.

So far, no aftershocks. So that's good.

That was, by far, the worst quake I've felt, and the longest lasting one....the whole time I kept wondering if it was just going to continue and get worse...and I was just trying to get Song off my feet, get out of the blankets, take the pillow out from under my feet and lower the recliner footstool and get me and the pets outside when it finally stopped. Like I said, it felt like it lasted about 30 seconds...and built from a slight shake to a very strong one...so for the first part of that event I was just seeing if it was a tremor or a real quake...but I probably should have started moving the second I realized what was going on and got myself and my pets out of the house. My bad. :P

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000