The 2020 Virtual Derby

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Re: The 2020 Virtual Derby

Post by Regina Moore »

I can remember standing up, and Screaming for Forego to catch them....and even in tears and clapping my hands after the results came in. And again... 137 pounds... 6 years old...vs a 3 year old top horse carrying 119 pounds.
Me, too. One of those babbling-in-tongues "I can't believe I got to bear witness to this" moments. And Forego never changed leads through the stretch.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Regina Moore wrote: 4 years ago
I can remember standing up, and Screaming for Forego to catch them....and even in tears and clapping my hands after the results came in. And again... 137 pounds... 6 years old...vs a 3 year old top horse carrying 119 pounds.
Me, too. One of those babbling-in-tongues "I can't believe I got to bear witness to this" moments. And Forego never changed leads through the stretch.
I hadn't looked at the replay of that race for years and years...and watching it again on YouTube before i posted the link to it... I actually got goosebumps...and I will admit... a little choked up, just thinking about how magnificent he was...also a big horse physically....17 hands.

Forego packed so much weight...it's no wonder his knees and ankles gave him issues later on. Bill Shoemaker stated “The saddle and the lead pad - I think it weighed more than I did."
That might have been a tiny bit of an exaggeration, but probably not by much. :P

His Grade 1 Woodward wins... 4 Years in a row! Winning his last one at age 7. : )

I loved Alydar, but Forego holds a very special place in my heart, one of the most amazing thoroughbreds to ever set foot on the track. He proved he could do it all, win sprints, and win up to 2 mile long races. He packed the weight, up to 138 pounds while rivals 1/2 his age carried only 110, and he raced until age 8. I was very glad he got to enjoy a very long, pampered retirement.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Well, I turned on my t.v. for the first time since last June. (the Belmont) And none of the channels were on. I called a friend who also gets her t.v. from an antenna, and she said that earlier this week an electrical storm took out some equipment up on the mountain where the town's t.v. transmitters are at. While we were talking...some of the channels started popping on! And fortunately, one of them was the NBC station.

I'm not real keen on seeing the entire Kentucky Derby broadcast of American Pharoah's win...wish NBC would have done some editing and created a condensed Derby/Preakness/Belmont highlight reel of American Pharoah instead...and then do the Virtual Triple Crown Derby race. Or...better yet.. a nice program that shows all the highlights of the Triple Crown Winners that will be in the virtual race...and just have fun with that, and forget showing 1 race about 1 horse for the next hour or so. And thus, hopefully too, delete all that BS with the drag queen and his princess fashion twit. I've always hated how the networks have to have such stupid sideline stuff for the Derby....rather than focus more on the jockey and horses in the race and keeping it a bit more dignified and serious like they do with almost every other sport.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Nini Panini
Eclipse Champion

Post by Nini Panini »

Stormy Peak wrote: 4 years ago And thus, hopefully too, delete all that BS with the drag queen and his princess fashion twit. I've always hated how the networks have to have such stupid sideline stuff for the Derby....rather than focus more on the jockey and horses in the race and keeping it a bit more dignified and serious like they do with almost every other sport.

Stormy
There are no drag queens in any of the Kentucky Derby broadcasts. Additionally, calling an openly gay man a drag queen when he is not in this manner that's clearly meant to be unflattering certainly isn't doing yourself or anyone else any favors. I'd even venture to say it's deliberately hateful and inflammatory. There were a million other ways to say you don't appreciate when the Derby becomes a fashion show.

Most of us horse racing fans don't care about the fashion either, but it's a way to draw in the general public. It is what it is.
"How do you describe perfection? Why try, let's just watch her run!"