vet visit sundays

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

vet visit sundays

Post by The Harlequins »

Dont visit the Doc today, he has got a right mardie on him :lol:
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Re: vet visit sundays

Post by Gwayne's World »

I'd like to share your amusement (I need a good laugh) if only I knew what you're talking about?

Right Mardie = A horse's name, a position on a soccer team, a flesh eating insect?

Enlighten us!
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

I've had a few Brits as friends over the years. A mardie is a description of someone who is in a bad mood or easily annoyed and adding the word "right", as in "right mardie" just makes it "very bad mood" or "very easily annoyed". Thanks to Scouse, Johhny Mac, Taff and the lads for teaching me some skills!
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

George Washington had a right mardie on him concerning King George III.
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

Gwayne Mike wrote: 4 years ago George Washington had a right mardie on him concerning King George III.
I think he just got swept up in the hoopla. After all, he wasn't even native born in the Colonies!
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Ben Franklin traveled to England prior to the revolution as a British subject.

After his mission, representing the new American interests were minimalized by English authorities, he left England as an American. In his own words!
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

English vs American English.

There's a term I always thought of as odd when I hear it... In England, they will say:
"He's being taken to hospital." or "He's going to hospital, to be checked out."

In the USA, at least from what I've mostly heard my whole life we say:
"He's being taken to the hospital."

I always thought it sounded so weird to not have that 'the' in front of the noun hospital...as it's a building, and most people would say: Mom is going to the store, or He's being taken to the doctor's office, or They are going to go to the stadium.

I have thought of a few other places...that don't use commonly use "the" before them...
He's going to heII
He's going to heaven
He's going to prison
He's going to ground

There are probably others, but except for prison, to are more like general places, and one describes hiding one's self.

I love the differences in the various English drifts. On YouTube, some time ago, I watched as an American, an Australian, and an Englishman tried to explain to Koreans how we use different words to explain the same thing. No wonder English is so difficult for non-English speakers to learn...and sometimes for English speakers too. :P
For Example:
USA: it's a gas station
UK: petrol station
Australia: Servo (and also petrol station)

Also, this is the first time I had ever heard the term Mardie -- guess it's good to learn something new every day. : )

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Dan Kauffman
Hall of Fame

Post by Dan Kauffman »

I won't get into it because it would take a lot of effort, but the sports vocabulary/usage is so different in Britain compared to the U.S. that it reads like a different language entirely.
‹Ali Hedgestone› Oh you get addicted to the crack after a while.
This spot reserved for my super-amazing TR stallion come Year 136.
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

I’m Australian and I found it hilarious when I lived in England that the further north I went, the less I understood the accents and lingo. Scotland could have been the middle of Africa for as much as I understood the language.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Post by Gwayne's World »

Cleo Patra wrote: 4 years ago I’m Australian and I found it hilarious when I lived in England that the further north I went, the less I understood the accents and lingo. Scotland could have been the middle of Africa for as much as I understood the language.
The American public fancies anyone who sports any kind of foreign accent?

Bring your tack to the land of the free and the home of the SIM someday?
Steve Leavitt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Steve Leavitt »

Cleo Patra wrote: 4 years ago I’m Australian and I found it hilarious when I lived in England that the further north I went, the less I understood the accents and lingo. Scotland could have been the middle of Africa for as much as I understood the language.
I didn't travel to England while stationed with the American military in Germany, which is where I made friends with a large group of Brits who were stationed further north from me, but also in Germany. They were part of the 13th Royal Signals at Mercury Barracks. They DID, however, have men and women from all over the UK, so I did encounter the same accents and agree, it seems the further north they lived, the thicker the accent. Even worse when they were drunk, which in those days, for all of us, was often. It was hilarious having a drunk Scotsman talk with me and then me having to turn to someone who came from Manchester or Liverpool to translate. Sometimes, even they would say "I just don't know, mate", when the person was REALLY drunk. Brian has never heard this, but while that group could be very friendly, you weren't really mates with any of them until you've been in a drunken brawl with them. In my first year in Germany, I only met up with the Brits on three different occasions, and on that third occasion, we definitely became mates!
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Steve Leavitt wrote: 4 years ago
I didn't travel to England while stationed with the American military in Germany, which is where I made friends with a large group of Brits who were stationed further north from me, but also in Germany. They were part of the 13th Royal Signals at Mercury Barracks. They DID, however, have men and women from all over the UK, so I did encounter the same accents and agree, it seems the further north they lived, the thicker the accent. Even worse when they were drunk, which in those days, for all of us, was often. It was hilarious having a drunk Scotsman talk with me and then me having to turn to someone who came from Manchester or Liverpool to translate. Sometimes, even they would say "I just don't know, mate", when the person was REALLY drunk. Brian has never heard this, but while that group could be very friendly, you weren't really mates with any of them until you've been in a drunken brawl with them. In my first year in Germany, I only met up with the Brits on three different occasions, and on that third occasion, we definitely became mates!
Brings to mind that old cartoon: “artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl” :lol:
AT STUD
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Post by The Harlequins »

I have never heard the phrase Furloughed used in England before this covid think.

Must be a USA thing
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Gwayne Mike wrote: 4 years ago
The American public fancies anyone who sports any kind of foreign accent?

Bring your tack to the land of the free and the home of the SIM someday?
I definitely want to ride in the US, and also wouldn’t mind a go in Canada. I think I’d get lost riding in the US though. You could drive a bus through the gaps in their fields, where Australian races are run stirrup on stirrup.
AT STUD
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

As somebody who speaks English as a ‘second language’ I must disagree that it’s very hard to learn. The tricky part is the sentence order because it’s completely flipped, but English doesn’t have he/she nouns which makes it somewhat easier to learn. Plus, it’s literally everywhere (at least in Europe) and is pretty easy to pick up from pop-culture.

I suppose slang terms and certain words from different dialects can be a bit tricky to understand but that’s almost certainly true of any other language.

But yes certainly different accents make English a bit hard to understand sometimes :lol: When I lived in Wales, it took me a good 3 months to recognise whether someone was speaking Welsh, or English in a Welsh accent!