I had a mountain lion in my yard!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

I had a mountain lion in my yard!

Post by Stormy Peak »

This happened a few nights ago, but I've just been too distracted by things going on in my life to type about it until now.

There's been a young mountain lion prowling the residential neighborhood on a hill that is about 3 miles from my house. It's killed some chickens, ducks and cats...and Fish and Game has been trying to live trap it. Well, it moved off what is known as 'The Bar' or 'Bar Hill' where it's mostly city limits residential homes...and is now prowling around my area which is about a mile outside of city limits.

I'm just glad my dogs were inside...and wow...did they let me know something was out there! :shock: My cat, Song, took off down the hall and hid in my bedroom and both Jaya and AU were walking stiff legged, and with hackles raised and growling! I've had Jaya for 6 years now, and I think I've only heard her growl a few times and those were more like short, startled/scared growls...but she didn't stop this time...and both dogs were looking at my back porch door.

It was about 1 am, and so I pulled my handgun out of the nightstand and went to a window next to the porch door, pulled the shades up and at the same time, kicked on the back porch light. I saw the cougar, at the bottom of my porch steps...but he was already startled by the light and the sound of that blind being pulled up...and he was already turning and running into the darkness beyond my porch light. I closed the blind, but left the porch light on and went back to the recliner where I sleep.

About an hour later...the dogs had the same reaction, but this time they were looking towards the front door. I don't have a window on that side that I can look out while drawing up the blind and turning on the porch light. So I didn't bother to try to see how close to the house the cougar was that time.

I usually let my dogs out around 4 am...(I'm up several times during the night due to back pain), but they had to wait until daylight before I let them out..lol. I opened the back door first and went out and looked around, then let them out. I wish I would have thought about recording their reaction as they went out and sniffed where the mountain lion had been in the yard. Just by watching them, I could see where the mountain lion had been out there. And, even as they sniffed, they had their hackles up. I've never seen AU either like that...he's usually a laid back dog.

I've been in this house since 2005, and this is the first cougar I've seen.
I've had deer (both mule deer and white tail), elk, foxes, bunnies, raccoons, llamas, goats, coyotes, dogs and cats in my yard...I think about the only things left that hasn't broke down my fence, or jumped it has been horses, cows, bears, bison, and bobcats. :P

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
The Harlequins
Eclipse Champion

Re: I had a mountain lion in my yard!

Post by The Harlequins »

You need to get hold of Rich Lewis, now that he has quit Mountain Men, Stormy lol
The closest a person ever comes to perfection is when he fills out a job application form.
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

We get them here from time to time too. I love kitties, but I will never trust a big cat. On the bright side, at least it was outdoors. Did you see the story about the woman that found one napping behind her sofa?
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I didn't read about that one, but given the nature of felines, I know a lot of people ended up being cat owners due to finding a cat in their house, lol. I can almost hear the call to Animal Control though...lol...

Home Owner: I have a mountain lion in my house!
Animal Control: *in a shaky voice* Sounds like a Fish and Game problem.
Home Owner: Hello, Fish and Game... I have a mountain lion in my house..
Fish and Game: *thinking fast* Uh...that sounds like something Animal Control should handle. Call them and tell them they need to go in and catch it, then call us when they do...and we can then we can tell them where to release it. :D

------------
Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000