Milestone birthday for me today.

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Milestone birthday for me today.

Post by Stormy Peak »

I'm 57 today.... weird number for a milestone but today, I was fortunate enough to do what neither of my parents were able to do... live past the age of 56. Both of them died at that age, and both died of cancer. My dad in 1994 and my mom in 1997.

Needless to say, I spent time, on and off this past year, thinking about them...wondering if this would be the year I found out I too, had cancer, or something other that would cut me down before hitting 57.

The past 2 years have been an out right horror show for me, probably the worse time I've had in my life since the illness and passing of my parents in the mid-1990s. But I am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel and at least right now, it doesn't look like that of a train coming my way. :P

There is a lot of enough negative crap going around and as I mentioned, especially in my own life. So, I do try my best to not dwell on the bad and try to turn towards thoughts that make me feel more hopeful. I am an atheist, but I do take to heart that part of the Psalms, that the Byrds turned into the pop song, Turn Turn Turn, way back when:

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven.

There is much truth to it. Things change, that is life and sometimes those changes are good and sometimes not....but in at age 57, I can look back and see how true those words are...life does have it's ups and downs, so don't give up during those downs

Dire Straits, also has similar thoughts that love from their song, 'Why Worry." --

There should be laughter after pain
There should be sunshine after rain
These things have always been the same
So why worry now

I hope my 57th year will make up for the past 2 years...and it's a good/although weird, feeling to not have that number 56 for my age....glad I made it past it.

Stormy : )
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Re: Milestone birthday for me today.

Post by Keith Maidlow »

My milestone was 54 years, 4 months and 4 days. That's the age when my dad died of a hearth attack while mowing the lawn. He didn't have congenital heart disease but a heart defect from having Rheumatic Fever as a boy, so heart disease really didn't run in my family, but it always concerned me.

The thing that made me worry more than I probably should have was that I have had a hiatal hernia since I was in my early thirties, a degenerative disc between my 9th and 10th vertebra (directly parallel to the hernia) and I'm left handed. Every time I had a hiatal hernia "attack" I felt like I was having a heart attack with pains front to back in my chest and left arm sensations as I tensed with concern (doctors confirmed I had no heart problems). Over time I was finally able to relax myself as these attacks would happen knowing I wasn't having a heart attack. I dealt with this for about 20 years and it wasn't fun.

Bottom line, the day a became 54 years, 4 months and 5 days old I just felt a calm come over me. Now it's 20 years later, the hiatal hernia attacks are few and far between and life is good. I mow my own lawn and rake my own leaves. I go to the gym four or five times a week. I'm enjoying my well deserved retirement, even during this pandemic.

Ups and downs happen to everyone, I focus on the ups.

Stay well!!!
*Sugar Bottom Stable
Norman Architecture
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Norman Architecture »

Wow Stormy.

Firstly Happy Birthday.

My Parents died in 94 and 97 too both of Brain Tumors. My Father died at 55 , In a years time on the 4th November i will be the same age as he was at death.

I contracted Testicular Cancer myself in 2001 with secondary tumors in the lung and Lymph Nodes and at the time thought it would be a death sentence because i never knew anyone who survived very long. I had a young family at the time and it was very stressful especially for my wife who was dealing with me a toddler and a baby.

Fortunately i'm still here 19 years on but in the back of my mind i always have a nagging thought it will come back.

I hope Stormy that things continue to improve for you in your life .

Much Love

Norman.
Regal Farms

Home of Louisville Derby Winner BELIEVE THE HYPE , World Cup and LIC Winner WITH KIND REGARDS and SC Turf Sprint Winner SUNDAY SOUND.
Keith Maidlow
Hall of Fame

Post by Keith Maidlow »

Norman and I have the same birthday, June 13th (mine 20 years before his). May we continue to wish each other “Happy Birthday” for many years to come!!!
*Sugar Bottom Stable
Norman Architecture
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Norman Architecture »

Keith Maidlow wrote: 3 years ago Norman and I have the same birthday, June 13th (mine 20 years before his). May we continue to wish each other “Happy Birthday” for many years to come!!!
Yes Keith we shall.
Regal Farms

Home of Louisville Derby Winner BELIEVE THE HYPE , World Cup and LIC Winner WITH KIND REGARDS and SC Turf Sprint Winner SUNDAY SOUND.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Keith and Norman,

Thanks for sharing your stories. There were times this past year I thought I was being all to weird thinking about that age thing...and wondering if I would ever see 57. I guess it happens to all of us who's parents have died younger than they should have, and it's kind of natural to ponder if that is one's own fate now too.

I wish you both the best of health : )

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000