Being Frugal...

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Being Frugal...

Post by Stormy Peak »

I have been most of my life, was raised that way, coming from a poor family.

I cut the bottoms off of tubes of toothpaste and there's enough left in the tube to usually brush my teeth 6 to 10 more times.
I do the same with tubes of anti-biotic-pain relief cream I use on my dog Jaya, when her summertime allergies cause hot spots on her skin...there's enough cream left in the tube for 1 or 2 more wounds.

Last month, around the 15th, I saw I was going to run out of dog food before the end of the month...and I was stone broke. So, I cut the dry dog food servings in 1/2 and each dog got 1/2 package of ramen noodles that I soaked. I have a lot of ramen, because it's like on sale 6 packages for a $1.00 earlier this summer. They also got peanut butter on the heels of bread... I buy bread on sale too, and store it in my freezer. Anyway, I know have a huge stack of ramen season packets I can use in soup or something...not going to toss them just because I didn't use them when I cooked the noodles for the dogs. :P

Then this month...in the back of my cupboard, I found a can of dog food! Aargh! I could have used that can last month and given each dog 2 feedings with a little more flavoring in their dog-food bowls besides just the ramen noodles.

Anyway, I went to the food bank earlier this month, got my box home and found the bag of rice had a hole in it. I don't know if it tore, or if mice got into it...nor if there were now weevils or something in it...and I almost threw it away...then thought, 'No, I'll cook it and freeze it for the dogs -- rather than just waste it. When it was almost done, I saw that can of dog food on the counter, and decided rather than each dog just getting 2 'treat' feedings with it, I would dump it into the rice and flavor that...so now the dogs have a gallon of beef dog food flavored rice. lol. I've froze most of it, and have been adding a few spoonfuls to each dog's bowl with their dog food...they love it. : )

Then tonight, I decided to pull some frozen pie crust out of the freezer... I need to get it used or have it turned into dog food too if it gets left in there for several more weeks. But I couldn't think of what I could do with it. Usually I would use it to make chicken pot pie, but I don't have all the ingredients for that at the moment

Then I remembered what my mom use to do with spare pie dough once she finished making homemade pies.

I took the pie dough and let it thaw, used an upturned drinking glass as a cookie cutter, then buttered the 'cookies' and put a layer of sugar and cinnamon over the butter and baked it at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. They taste great, and my home smells of cooked sugar and cinnamon. :D

I kind of live that old saying... Waste not, want not. : )

Stormy : )
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000