Success!

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
John Nicholson
Listed Stakes Winner

Re: Success!

Post by John Nicholson »

👍👍👍👍
Fanta Arcadia
Eclipse Champion

Post by Fanta Arcadia »

1st day post op: I'm stiff and sore but have ZERO pain from my nerve. It's almost surreal now that the pain is gone, it's like my body and mind fought against it so long it's shell shocked now that it is gone.

I have little to no disc left between L4 and L5 so my doctor says the body is going to try and fill in the missing spot naturally with scar tissue. Odds are high though that I'll need a spinal fusion in 5 +/- years. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Thank you everyone for the prayers and well wishes <3
Superbia --> SC Winning Stud from the My Heart of Hearts dynasty --> 40,000 fee
Quetzalcoatl --> G1 winner, Son of SC winner Luxuria, 20,000 fee
Filled With Pride --> G1 winner, Son of SC winner Superbia, 20,000 fee
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Fanta Arcadia wrote: 3 years ago 1st day post op: I'm stiff and sore but have ZERO pain from my nerve. It's almost surreal now that the pain is gone, it's like my body and mind fought against it so long it's shell shocked now that it is gone.

I have little to no disc left between L4 and L5 so my doctor says the body is going to try and fill in the missing spot naturally with scar tissue. Odds are high though that I'll need a spinal fusion in 5 +/- years. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Thank you everyone for the prayers and well wishes <3
My grandmother had the same spinal fusion done in her late 40s; she did just fine until she left this earth, decades later. Glad your pain is gone; your brain and mind are probably going WTH? Don't worry, they will find something else to fuss about as you grow older. :)
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Laura Smith
Hall of Fame

Post by Laura Smith »

So happy for you!
LONG OVERDUE FARM: Keepin' it Canada since Year 16.
Stallions to meet your every need. As long as you need a turf sprinter.
Fanta Arcadia
Eclipse Champion

Post by Fanta Arcadia »

I had my post-op follow up Wednesday, and my strength has returned in my lower extremities. Prior to surgery my neurosurgeon could push my feet down with a finger and exert no effort doing so; Wednesday with all his strength he couldn't budge my feet or legs in various tests. My balance is back too, I can walk on my heels and tiptoes from one corner of the room to the other. He told me, "Not going to lie, you had me really worried when I first saw you in December."

He also told me, "In the next five years you may or may not have to have a spinal fusion, but until that day does or does not come live life without restrictions because it won't change anything." I like that, it will be my new life motto: live life without restrictions because it won't change anything.

I am cleared to return to work on the 18th and can even go back to horseback riding, which is really good because Indy is getting FAT haha
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Yay!! Congratulations, Fanta, what great news! So happy for you. Will be happy to see some pictures if possible, when you are back in the saddle.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Brilliant news! I’m glad you can go back to riding as well. It’s excellent physical (and mental) therapy.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Dave Trainer
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Dave Trainer »

That is terrific news :) (other than Indy getting fat :) )
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

That is wonderful news!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

I had a discectomy and they never did fusion. The scar tissue did the job, and the great thing about that is I kept my flexibility. So there is hope!
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Great news! I’m happy for you and Indy! Carry on living Fanta, the best is yet to come!
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Fanta Arcadia wrote: 3 years ago I had my post-op follow up Wednesday, and my strength has returned in my lower extremities. Prior to surgery my neurosurgeon could push my feet down with a finger and exert no effort doing so; Wednesday with all his strength he couldn't budge my feet or legs in various tests. My balance is back too, I can walk on my heels and tiptoes from one corner of the room to the other. He told me, "Not going to lie, you had me really worried when I first saw you in December."

He also told me, "In the next five years you may or may not have to have a spinal fusion, but until that day does or does not come live life without restrictions because it won't change anything." I like that, it will be my new life motto: live life without restrictions because it won't change anything.

I am cleared to return to work on the 18th and can even go back to horseback riding, which is really good because Indy is getting FAT haha
I also lost most of the disk in my back during surgery....and was told the same thing about spinal fusion. I never had to do the spinal fusion...but...12 years after surgery, the disk right above the one that was operated on..blew out. However, it was in two smaller areas...and not the whole disk like the bottom one did. Still.. it was enough to put me on disability.

Also...as far as 'scar tissue' filling in the empty area where your disk use to be. My surgeon described it to me like this:

That all you other disks are like thick gel filled innertubes...they take a shock and 'bounce' a little -- but the empty area where the damaged disk was removed...will eventually fill in with a substance similar to cartilage and while it will offer a little bit of cushion...it's going to be more like a harder rubber cushion, compared to that gel filled cushion of a real disk.

I do hope you can ride a horse soon. I know for about 2 years, I couldn't tolerate car rides that were more than 5 miles...the vibrating movement of the car and those occasional 'bumps' that I never felt before...went right into that 'non-cushioned' area.
My doctor told me it would take about a year for the blank space to fill in and about 2 years for the bone to grow back around the area to protect it.

I'm very glad to hear that the overwhelming pain of having a disk-ruptured nerve pinch is gone. I can remember almost crying in relief to finally not feel that pain anymore. I still had pain, but it was of a totally different level!

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Fanta Arcadia
Eclipse Champion

Post by Fanta Arcadia »

Stormy Peak wrote: 3 years ago
I do hope you can ride a horse soon. I know for about 2 years, I couldn't tolerate car rides that were more than 5 miles...the vibrating movement of the car and those occasional 'bumps' that I never felt before...went right into that 'non-cushioned' area.
My doctor told me it would take about a year for the blank space to fill in and about 2 years for the bone to grow back around the area to protect it.

I'm very glad to hear that the overwhelming pain of having a disk-ruptured nerve pinch is gone. I can remember almost crying in relief to finally not feel that pain anymore. I still had pain, but it was of a totally different level!

Stormy
I think what attributed to my pain being completely gone is that they were able to perform the discectomy quickly. My surgeon, his assistant, and all of the nurses were shocked that insurance moved as fast as it did, but I was able to do all of my insurance required physical therapy over the summer and early fall before the disc completely blew out. So by the time the blow out happened insurance approved everything in a matter of hours instead of days. The submittal for my MRIs were approved in three hours, which is crazy fast lol Thankfully it was that fast because they were able to get in and remove all of the impaction before any permanent nerve damage could be done; besides inflammation my nerves suffered no scarring that he could see.

I was off all pain medication and just on ibuprofen by 4 days post op to help reduce the inflammation. I am pretty blessed the entire thing went as smoothly as it did.
Fanta Arcadia
Eclipse Champion

Post by Fanta Arcadia »

Lori Hamill wrote: 3 years ago Yay!! Congratulations, Fanta, what great news! So happy for you. Will be happy to see some pictures if possible, when you are back in the saddle.
Ask and ye shall receive <3 The Brat Child did so good today, even though he decided to lay down in a wet spot in the grass when I went to catch him lol

Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

You are both looking great! How did it feel to be back on Indy and moving? He looks happy to have you back.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯