Was I wrong to do this?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Was I wrong to do this?

Post by Stormy Peak »

At Subway yesterday... I made a comment to the worker there. It's about another tip I left - besides the monetary one I put in the jar.

I and one other customer who was ahead of me were the only ones in the shop...being helped by 1 worker. The lady ahead of me, asked that her foot long sub, be cut into 4 sections.

I was kind of appalled in seeing how the worker did it...
She hesitated with the knife looking kind of puzzled at where the first cut should be.
She finally took a cut at each end...then cut the middle piece. What she ended up with was a sub with two narrow middle pieces and two ends that were also not quite matched up in size.

The lady buying the sub didn't see the cuts being made because she was digging in her purse for her wallet and from the wallet, her credit card. I thought..."I hope she's not taking that to share equally with other people, because it's going to be hard to do, given each cut was a different size"

After the lady left, and my sub was paid for, I put a dollar tip in the jar, and thanked the girl for making my sandwich and then I said:

"I hope you don't mind if I offer you another kind of tip."
The worker, who looked about 17 or 18 years old...didn't say anything, just nodded her head after a few seconds.

I told her I noticed how she hesitated before cutting that last sub, and how each quarter came out different in size. I then suggest to her that the next time someone wants a sandwich cut into 4 pieces - that in order to make all pieces about the same size - she should first cut the sub in half...then cut each half in half - so each quarter would be more similar in size.
I finished that with a smile, and also saying, "I hope that makes it easier for you the next time you need to quarter a sandwich."

She didn't have any reaction to what I said....no smile or anything.

There was no one else in that room but us, and I would have never said that to her if anyone else was around.
I was just hoping that maybe the advice would be of benefit to her, maybe even save her from embarrassment at some later date if a customer called her out on it for messing up their sub while other people were in earshot.

Given her lack of response...I wonder if I did the right thing? Maybe she thought I was telling her she was dumb...attacking her...rather than trying to help her out.

After all, it wasn't my sandwich, and I'm certainly not her supervisor or anything, but I got the feeling I made her upset. As I said, she didn't didn't say a word to me afterward, I explained how to cut a sub into equal parts.
I thanked her again for making my sub, and left.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Mark Markson
Sprinter

Re: Was I wrong to do this?

Post by Mark Markson »

Given the new math they "teach" in schools nowadays, I'd bet she's probably still trying to figure out what "cut the sub in half" means...
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Re: Was I wrong to do this?

Post by Stormy Peak »

Mark Markson wrote: 3 years ago Given the new math they "teach" in schools nowadays, I'd bet she's probably still trying to figure out what "cut the sub in half" means...

I actually used the side of my hand, to make the slicing motion, over my sacked up sub-sandwich to give her a visual of what I meant.

I really did try to make my tone of voice friendly and state things in a way that I was just trying to help her...and not accuse her of being stupid, or that I was mocking her in any way.

I think sometimes, inexperienced young workers do have some "book knowledge" such as that kind of division....but they never had to carry it over into real-world situations.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000