Wild bunnies

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Wild bunnies

Post by Stormy Peak »

I think I unofficially adopted a wild bunny. There is a pretty tan/grey brindled one hanging around my house. I felt sorry for it, as the snow has totally buried all the grass and such. So Friday morning I chopped up some celery and opened a can of carrots and put it all out where I've seen him hanging out.

The darn thing will probably get a name next. :roll:

I feel like I'm just fattening it up for the coyotes. ..but also feel bad that it's such a miserable winter for the poor thing.
Bunnies come and go around here... I do NOT want to get attached to one, as it will probably just 'disappear' at some point, and I don't want or need that kind of sadness. I guess...though I can try to hold on to the feeling that I tried to at least make it's life a little less harsh.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Re: Wild bunnies

Post by Rochelle Bos »

My parents “adopted” their backyard bunny lol they put our apples, or pears for it to snack on.

Unfortunately there is a bylaw being put in place that you can no longer feed wildlife (except birds I think). My mom is so upset 😅
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 3 years ago My parents “adopted” their backyard bunny lol they put our apples, or pears for it to snack on.

Unfortunately there is a bylaw being put in place that you can no longer feed wildlife (except birds I think). My mom is so upset 😅
Tell her to just pretend it's a stray vegan cat. ;)

Also, I'm not so sure what's considered real wildlife when it comes to bunnies?
Many are domesticated breeds - and I suppose one could argue that like dogs and cats, they are more like strays, than true wildlife. I know jack rabbits/hares are considered true wild animals - and not from any domesticated breeding.

Also, if a bunny has floppy ears and is in any other color than a solid tan/brownish one...it's probably from a domesticated breed. So...maybe there is a loop hole for you mom...lol.
She's just offering some help to a stray animal, instead of a wild one.
:P

I have learned a lot about bunnies in the past few days. I thought I read at one point that lettuce is not good for them, so I googled things before I decided to feed the brindled bunny celery and some canned carrots..which I rinsed and somewhat dried on a paper towel. I didn't think about looking up fruit...lol I have some canned pears...probably always better to go fresh fruit, but

I'm poor...so all I have is mostly canned fruit that I got from the food bank. I also live by myself, so sometimes too, over the course of a year, I end up with 4 or 5 cans of like pears...or like 8 cans of carrots. I do try to use all that I can, but at times, the due dates on the cans are getting close, or are slightly pass, so then I'm willing to open it up for something like that bunny.

Maybe if the stimulus checks ever happen, and it's still pretty winter-like outside, I could go buy a small bag of bunny food if the bunny is still hanging around. Buy just enough for him/her to make it into spring where it can find it's own food again.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Tom Lin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Tom Lin »

Rochelle Zahacy wrote: 3 years ago My parents “adopted” their backyard bunny lol they put our apples, or pears for it to snack on.

Tell them that rabbits like bird seed. I have bunnies come out each night (usually before dusk) to clean up the spilt seed from the hanging feeders. I'm assuming it's the sunflower seeds they like. I don't know for sure it's wild bird see mix.
Rochelle Bos
Hall of Fame

Post by Rochelle Bos »

Tom Lin wrote: 3 years ago

Tell them that rabbits like bird seed. I have bunnies come out each night (usually before dusk) to clean up the spilt seed from the hanging feeders. I'm assuming it's the sunflower seeds they like. I don't know for sure it's wild bird see mix.
Ooooo! So smart!!!
KINGSWOOD
Pensioner Program
• Pension your 2yo or older horse
• Ship your horse to any Kingswood Location
• Sell your horse to Rochelle Bos for $0

Comparison is the thief of joy - Theodore Roosevelt
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

so tell me - - - did that rabbit ever eat the canned carrots?
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Pepper Carol wrote: 3 years ago so tell me - - - did that rabbit ever eat the canned carrots?
Yes, he ate some. : )

I read that feeding bunnies carrots should be more like a treat, as carrots are high in sugar...don't want a fat bunny, I guess...lol. But given this on is probably spending a lot of calories trying to stay warm, and alive...running if startled...I suppose carrots now and then at this time of year won't hurt him. I also read that canned green beans should be ok. I might have to looked through my cans of green beans and see if I have any that are a little past the due date, or getting near....and in a few days toss out some more food.

The deer and birds might also be picking up what the bunny doesn't get.

Stormy

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000