YouTube rabbit hole...things I've learned

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

YouTube rabbit hole...things I've learned

Post by Stormy Peak »

Bored bored bored bored...

So...due to back issues and the virus shutting down a lot of places - such as our local show house has had "Waiting for new movies' on it's marquee for 3 months now, and our local museum and library being closed - I often go to YouTube for entertainment start out watching something like high speed police chases and end up 2 hours later watching a guy trimming cows' hooves. ??? lol.
Well... if I ever own a cow, at least I'll know what to look for, as far as hoof issues and how to go about with basic trimming. :D

But I found a few other things that I really could try or use.

I learned... how to make butter with my dryer. LOL. Pour heavy cream into a wide mouth plastic or stainless thermos ... * the lid on tight, wrap thermos into a towel and use a couple strips of duct tape to keep the towel in place. The towel is just there to dampen the noise... put dryer on 'no heat' put the container in the dyer and set it for 45 minutes. Take container out and hold it over a bowl and 3 to 4 lumps of lovely smooth butter comes out along with, of course, some buttermilk.

Another methods.... put cream into a jar, lid on tight...and get butter in only 3 minutes....after the paint shaker is done with it. :lol:

And this practical tip. You know those plastic tabs that one finds on bread loaf packaging? I've known for a long time that they are good for fixing flip flops when one of the thong pieces pull up through the hole... just put it back through, and then from the bottom of the flip flop, put a bread tab between the shoe and the end of the thong piece that keeps wanting to slide through the hole. But that's a rare thing that can happen...however....

Anyone who has handled duct tape, freezer tape or shipping tape...
if you don't fold over the end piece, it's really hard to find it again and then get it unstuck so you can pull more tape off. But rather than folding over tape...you can just take a bread tab..stick it to the end of the tape, and the next time you need to use the tape, just grab the tab and lift up on it and your tape is ready to come off the roll.

What has the YouTube rabbit hole taught you this past year...that is someone useful? : )

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Noel Collins
Derby Contender

Re: YouTube rabbit hole...things I've learned

Post by Noel Collins »

ive been learning how to angle grind cow hoofs back into proper shape and that cows don't watch where they put their feet.
suminigashi Japanese paper marbling. its different from regular paper marbling that actually derives from turkey.
advanced resin techniques (most that I had freakishly already figured out as common sense but I guess they aren't)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Noel Collins wrote: 3 years ago ive been learning how to angle grind cow hoofs back into proper shape and that cows don't watch where they put their feet.
suminigashi Japanese paper marbling. its different from regular paper marbling that actually derives from turkey.
advanced resin techniques (most that I had freakishly already figured out as common sense but I guess they aren't)
The hoof guy on YouTube that I watch is in Scotland, "The Hoof GP"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo4S-T ... HAMvKw2SQg

I'll definitely look up Japanese paper marbling....sounds interesting. I've seen channels that do resin pours...different colors resins poured and swirled into patterns...not sure if Japanese paper marbling is along those lines, but I'll find out : ).

And as far as art goes... For some years, I've been a dedicated fan of this guy who restores artwork...it's amazing what he can fix. Some of the paintings he gets in are so damaged and dirty with grime from ages dirt...it looks like they can never be restored.
He explains the steps and reasons for them, that he uses to restore paintings and his attention to detail and the multiple skills he uses, wow!

Baumgartner Restoration
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvZe6Z ... bbdkiodPKQ

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Noel Collins
Derby Contender

Post by Noel Collins »

the hoof GP is the guy I watch. He's pretty awesome.

Resin marbling is its own madcap thing. I may give it a shot but to me without the right piece and the commission its a waste of materials. I may give it a shot though. I do pours, like pouring tables mixed with wood. I like to also combine it with some painting between the layers. Ive got an outdoor table commission that I need to start filling the rivers on tomorrow. Cedar stained to be maroon with gold glitter rivers and a swirl of monarch butterflies across the face of the table. also I have to gold glitter the legs.