Lost a friend but kept a memory.

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Lost a friend but kept a memory.

Post by Stormy Peak »

John Denver... Rocky Mountain High.

Kind of a fitting song for me at the moment. Friday afternoon, I learned a high school friend of mine was killed in a car crash - been thinking about him...and other friends I have and have lost over the years...ever since I heard the news.

I grew up in a itty bitty Idaho Rocky Mountain town, still live here. My high school class was the class of 1982...we all pretty much knew each other from the 1st grade and there were about 35 of us.

"JC" was one of the most friendly guys in high school...he was very very slightly mentally slow...wore drab clothes all the time, parted his hair on the side and combed it over the top using Brylcreem to hold it down...this in an era when most guys had longer feathered hair and used as much hairspray as the girls...lol. JC was also not handsome...kind of pudgy, a little lantern jawed..so one would think he would have been the target of the very few bullies we had in school...but he was so funny, kind and gentle that he was even best friends with the bullies. He wasn't too much on book learning but he was pretty smart when it came to auto mechanics and wood working. He worked very hard at odd jobs and by the time he was a sophomore he bought his own truck and by the time he was a senior...with the help of auto/mechanics shop...he had that old truck in pretty lovely condition.

My fondest memory of him, though, was the junior prom.

We has a 20 year old teacher's assistant from Chili, "AB". She was as ultra hot hot as a woman can get...she wasn't tall, only about 5 foot 2 inches, but she wore heels to make up for it and dresses that would probably get her banned in this day an age of young women being shamed for daring to show their collar bones or slightest hint of cleavage in some high schools.

'AB' was just absolutely gorgeous. long beautiful hair and a very out going personality and every boy in school had a major crush on her. When Prom time came around news was that all the jocks already had girlfriends they were expected to take to the prom...so that left some of the other nice looking popular boys who hadn't yet asked a girl, and they were all egging each other on to see who would be brave enough to ask 'AB' to the prom.

One day during a 'free hour' -- I and about 4 other girls were sitting in the school library at a table with AB, a short distance from us was a table with about 6 boys and they were all whispering and laughing at times. Then it got quiet and one of them stood...up...and some disbelieving laughter kind of happened at the boys table.

It was JC. He ambled over to our table and looked at AB and said: "AB, will you be my date to the prom?"
She looked at him and gave him the most beautiful smile and said "JC...Yes..I would love to be your date"
I thought everyone in that room was going to fall out of their chairs. The most beautiful woman in school just said yes to a prom date to a guy who would have probably been on anyone's list as the last person she would go with...lol

Everyone was so happy for him too. And I don't think he stopped smiling for the rest of the year. When asked about it, AB said she didn't play games...of telling one guy no, hoping another one would ask. JC was the first guy to ask, and that's who she went with and she had a blast. As I said, JC was funny, but a very sweet, kind guy.

The world's a lesser place now that he's gone.

Stormy
Last edited by Stormy Peak 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Re: Lost a friend but kept a memory.

Post by Ashley Hunt »

Stormy he sounds like the kind of person I would've loved to have known. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. RIP JC
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Ashley Hunt wrote: 2 years ago Stormy he sounds like the kind of person I would've loved to have known. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. RIP JC
Thank you Ashley.

More hurt added to the mix.

The day after I posted about JC, I found out another high school friend of mine died...in a motor cycle crash. : (
He was also in the class of '82.

I have some good memories of "SB" too, he always dressed like he could step into a disco at any time...silky looking shirts, slightly flair slacks and platform shoes lol. He had long blond feathered hair and an outgoing personality/class clown type, but also a straight A student.

During our Freshman year, the Seniors were allowed to haze us in the gym for a special assembly.
They had a number of events lined up, and the victims/freshmen names were pulled from a jar (all names in the jar were voluntary, if a freshman didn't want to participate they didn't have to add their name to the jar). So each event would see 6 or so freshmen out on the gym floor getting hazed.

First day of high school, SB is dressed in brand new clothes, hair looking perfect, and he's called along with 5 other freshmen....their event...they had hold onto balloons thickly covered with shaving cream and shave the balloons with straight razors. (Yeah...back then straight razors were allowed in school...lol). He was bound and determined not to have shaving cream explode all over his self...took his time and was the only one who pulled it off. Much to the boos of the Seniors. : )

As I said in my last post, there were only about 35 of us and most of us knew each other since the 1st grade...we were all pretty much good friends with each other...but our numbers are dwindling.

Three of my class mates have died in motorcycle crashes, one in a car crashes, two of cancer, one of a drug overdose, one suicided, and one of them was murdered...stabbed to death at the door of his home by muggers/drug addicts. His family was rich...so he lived in a nice home and had a good job...but unfortunately, some bad people went to his neighborhood that night looking to break into a home, saw him pull into his drive way...and attacked him. He fought back but was stabbed several times and died at his doorstep. They took his keys, raided his house and stole his car - he wasn't even 40 at the time.
It took over a year, but they caught the ones who did it.

It still ticks me off that someone can murder someone and still have a chance to get out of prison after 25 years.
The victim is dead forever...their family and friends will feel the heartbreak the rest of their lives and the murderer might get the chance to live out their life in freedom.
It's not right. :evil:

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Hunt »

Stormy Peak wrote: 2 years ago
Ashley Hunt wrote: 2 years ago Stormy he sounds like the kind of person I would've loved to have known. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. RIP JC
It still ticks me off that someone can murder someone and still have a chance to get out of prison after 25 years.
The victim is dead forever...their family and friends will feel the heartbreak the rest of their lives and the murderer might get the chance to live out their life in freedom.
It's not right. :evil:

Stormy
It is ridiculous for sure. There's so many stories like that that get me riled up.