Gwayne Mike's racing forum comment....

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Gwayne Mike's racing forum comment....

Post by Stormy Peak »

Gwayne Mike wrote: 2 years ago And may the 'Bird of paradise fly up your nose!'
That Little Jimmy Dicken's song sure brings up memories!

My dad owned a bar and back around 1977, Little Jimmy Dickens and his band played there for 2 nights and he was in our town for 3 days.

I was only 14, but my parents had divorced the year prior and I stayed with my dad, who immediately bought me a cookbook and I ended up having to learn to cook from scratch. I was 13 when I cooked a Thanksgiving dinner by myself....the turkey, all the traditional dishes, plus made 2 homemade pies...from scratch... a cherry pie and an apple pie.

So...when my dad, invited Little Jimmy Dickens and his band to our home for dinner, I had to do everything to make that dinner work....again, I was only 14 at the time.

I planned the meal, did the grocery shopping, cooked dinner, put all the slats into the trestle table we had, set the table (and did all the clean up afterwards). There were about 10 people total between Little Jimmy Dickens, his band, plus my dad, my brother and one of my brother's friends who was living in our house, and me. Needless to say I was scared to death about screwing up...this man was a Grand Ole Opry legend and I had grown up seeing him on t.v. a good number of times - I definitely knew who he was, even though by then, he wasn't as popular as he was some 20 years prior.

I cooked porkchops, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, made gravy from the porkchop drippings, made a salad, cubed some watermelon and cantaloupe.

For desert I had made cherry cheesecake - not from a box or a can either...from scratch. For drinks, I had choices for them of chilled water, ice tea, lemonade, milk, and my dad bought some beer, plus he had a liquor cabinet if anyone wanted wine or hard alcohol of some type.

It all, somehow turned out perfect. : )

I was pretty proud of what I had done. I made a lot of food, there was barely anything left afterwards - I made a little too much salad, not realizing back then that men, (at least these men) were not into salad...lol.

Little Jimmy Dickens and his band were in awe that a young girl could cook like that. They were all so funny too. They had some great stories to tell about their past tours and incidents that they encountered.

I still have his autograph thanking me for the great dinner, plus an autographed album he signed for me, and about a month later, I got a thank you card from him in the mail....thanking me for dinner....he sent a separate one to my dad, thanking him for inviting him to dinner, and for taking him up to a mountain lake to fish on one of the 3 days he was here in our town.

Although I was underaged, I also sneaked into the bar's backdoor each night he played. The bar had a big dancefloor with the band up on stage that was directly opposite of the back door. I took my camera and got some photos. The best one, being my older brother, dancing with our grandmother... my mom's mom. And even though my parents were divorced after 25 years of marriage...my dad adored my mom's mom...and made sure she got 1 of the very limited, and expensive tickets to the show each night. My mom also got a ticket for one of the shows. The bar could only allow so many people inside due to fire codes. Me...I just stood inside the door for about 10 minutes before leaving...as I didn't want to risk getting caught and getting my dad in trouble, but he wanted me to get a little peak at how the event was going.

Little Jimmy Dickens was a wonderful man, very gracious, down to earth, and behaved like he wasn't one of the most respected artists in the country music world.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Re: Gwayne Mike's racing forum comment....

Post by Gwayne's World »

Some days I can't remember where I put my car keys but I never forgot the title of that song.
Poldark | 3 time G1 winner. Including the Midsummer Classic. $42,500.