Travis Roy Foundation

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Travis Roy Foundation

Post by Garret Folsom »

As some of you may remember, I have come on here a few times to ask for donations for the Travis Roy Foundation. For a little background to the new people, Travis Roy was a hockey player who was paralyzed during his first ever college game. After his accident, he set up the Travis Roy Foundation which provides grants to people with Spinal Cord injuries, helping cover things that insurance does not, such as electric wheelchairs and handicap accessible vans. They also help fund research to hopefully find an eventual cure for paralysis.

One of the foundation's big annual events is a Wiffle Ball Tournament that I play in every year (I was actually the first person to ever bat in the tournament). The tournament has raised millions of dollars over the years. The event is one of the highlights of my year and there are so many great people involved.

Unfortunately, Travis passed away in October and the decision was made that this year will be the last year that the foundation is supporting fundraising events. It's a small organization run mostly by volunteers and a handful of employees. That means that this will be the last year of the Travis Roy Foundation Wiffle Ball Tournament. Hopefully the event will move forward under a different banner, however, that is unknown at the moment. This year's event will be the 20th version of the tournament and it will be a special and emotional time. I really want to go out of my way to set a personal record for fundraising to celebrate Travis and the impact he has had on so many people, with and without spinal cord injuries.

Over the years, I'm sure that I've raised more than $10,000 myself, I wish I knew the exact number (It's over $4,000 since 2018). Lately, I've come close to reaching $2,000 in a single year, but haven't quite reached that number. I'm really hoping that this is the year that I can do it. If anyone has the ability to do so, I would be very happy if you could make a donation at the link below:

http://events.travisroyfoundation.org/s ... sTiwwAMdWo
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Re: Travis Roy Foundation

Post by The Steward »

Donated
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Jimmy Jewell
Sprinter

Post by Jimmy Jewell »

Done.
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

Thank you both very much!!! I really appreciate it!
Louise Bayou
Hall of Fame

Post by Louise Bayou »

Got my donation in!
“It’s like I’m driving a Mac truck with the speed of a Porsche and the brain of a rocket scientist,” Gary Stevens on Beholder
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

Thanks Bay!!!
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

Just wanted to give an update. The tournament as a whole has raised $578,190 so far in just online donations. My team is currently 7th overall in fundraising with $27,020 raised. Over the last 4 years we are $144 shy of having raised $80,000 to help people with Spinal Cord injuries live a more independent life. The actual tournament is this weekend, so this is my last push of the year. If you are able to donate, please do so at the link above. This is a foundation run by mostly volunteers, so almost all of the money raised goes directly towards helping people in need, unlike some other charities where maybe 10% ends up helping people.
Abby Brooks
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Abby Brooks »

Donated!
Testing The Waters|Multi G1 AWM/AWR winner|40k
Dont make pee jokes, or you'll be barked at in the super secret sim discord where grown adults whine about one another
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

Thank you very much Rocki!!! This community is amazing and this is really helping people!

Here is an update. I have raised over $1,400. My team has raised over $30,000 (7th most currently) and the tournament as a whole is up to over $720,000 (with a goal of $1 million).
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

One final update, I have raised $1,892 online ($108 away from $2,000 - my most ever). I am 2 donations of $30 or more away from having 30 people donate $30 or more and I'm 1 donor away from having 50 different people donate. If you're interested, please donate at the link above. Thank you all.
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

Thank you everyone that donated. I was able to reach all of my goals.

1 - 30 different people to donate $30 or more.
2 - 50 different donors
3 - $2,000 or more.

If you still want to donate, I don't mind setting new goals!!!
Garret Folsom
Hall of Fame

Post by Garret Folsom »

I just got home from a wonderful weekend. I raised $2,002 for people with Spinal Cord Injuries. My team raised $43,236 (our previous best was $22,000+). The tournament as a whole raised $1,168,065. That is a crazy amount of money to raise thank you to everyone that donated!!! It was such an amazing experience to participate and be involved with that big of an accomplishment. It's hard to believe that this event started 20 years ago with 7 teams playing and raising $4,000. Now, here we are 32 teams raising over $1 million dollars that will help people live a more independent life.
Jimmy Jewell
Sprinter

Post by Jimmy Jewell »

Superb effort by all involved Garret. A good news story for a Monday morning !
I must confess I had to google 'wiffle ball '....... !!