Books and movies

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Books and movies

Post by Stormy Peak »

I went on a short 'classics' trek with some audio books recently.

Dracula by Bram Stoker, featuring narrations by Alan Cumming, Tim Curry, and Simon Vance. I first read the book back around 1980, and at the start of October when I saw this one for free on Audible and saw Tim Curry's name and then Alan Cumming and Simon Vance's names I decided to listen to it, and thought it would be a good one to hear as it was a very long book and I would probably finish it around Halloween.
I didn't know that Tim Curry had done book narration, nor did I know that Alan Cumming did either. I like both actors. Simon Vance, I have heard several books that he's narrated, including a good number of books from the DUNE series.

And,

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë -- I think I've seen every movie version of it ever made, and read the book the first time when I was in the 7th grade and then a few more times in the decades after that....with the last time being around 2000.

And, currently am about 1/2 way through...

The Great Gatsby by F. Scotts Fitzgerald -- I only read this book one time, back around 1979, when I was a teen, and I saw the movie one night on t.v.

Authors in the mid to late 1800s...droned on quite a bit about some itty bitty things...and too, they often called people 'it', rather than use the pronouns he or she.
Heck, I've been chewed out on pet forums for referring to a dog or cat as 'it'
as in the person chewing me out telling me...'it has a NAME :evil: " LOL.

In Jane Eyre (written in 1847) with Jane's character narrating, in one part of the book she's talking about Mr. Rochester who she's already met and knows...and in walking up a path she sees him sitting on a fence stile. She says something like "And it sat there in it's nice clothes looking at some distant thing that interested him, but then it spoke to me without looking...."

Bram Stoker did the same thing in his book which was written some 50 years later in 1897 -- used the word it for a pronoun, even when the gender and sometimes even the name of the person was known.

I had forgotten how much I loved The Great Gatsby. Loved the 1974 movie with Robert Redford, Bruce Dern, Mia Farrow, and Sam Waterson in it. I saw the newer version, (2013) with Leonardo DiCaprio, and Toby Maguire in it and it was ok, but I didn't think it was as good as the 1974 version

It's my birthday today so I'm thinking about splurging $6.99 and buying the 1974 version of the movie and watching it later tonight or tomorrow. I could rent if for 1/2 that price, but it's a movie I know I would watch again before a year was gone.

My library did something cool...they have hooked up with like 9 other Idaho libraries and now library members can check out
e-books or audiobooks from any of those 9 libraries.

So, I have downloaded The Far Pavilions to listen to after I'm done with The Great Gatsby. I'm also going through the Pillars of The Earth series. I believe there is a 'prequel' and then Pillars of the Earth, and 1 or 2 novels after that. I read Pillars of the Earth many years ago, so it will be fun to revisit that medieval story again and I will start with the 'prequel' first ...which was written many years after the original story debuted.

What are you all watching or listening to ?

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Re: Books and movies

Post by Lori Hamill »

Stormy Peak wrote: 2 years ago

My library did something cool...they have hooked up with like 9 other Idaho libraries and now library members can check out
e-books or audiobooks from any of those 9 libraries.

What are you all watching or listening to ?

Stormy
Our library here in Bucks County, Pennsylvania does the same thing and I love it. I am constantly "checking out" library books without ever leaving home and any time of the day or night. So convenient.

I enjoy many of he old classics too, I usually prefer the books to the movies though, not always but usually.

Currently reading "Under The Whispering Door" by TJ Klune, not as good as I the reviews made it out to be but at least I didn't pay any money for it. :)

Enjoy your reading and movie watching!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯