Looking for Advice

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Looking for Advice

Post by Cleo Patra »

So I know quite a few of you are injury prone so I thought I'd hit the sim forum for some advice :lol:

Long story short, my saddle slipped/broke in a barrier trial and I ended up under the back legs of my horse. I got a hoof to the middle of my left arm, which fractured the radius (displaced) and a hoof to the jaw which took out my lip and two teeth.

Surgery on my arm went well and after I stopped puking from the general, my recovery has been going well. Face surgery can't happen until my lip heals and the fracture above one of my missing teeth settles a bit.

So my question is, any tips and tricks for one handed life? I am so annoyed at how freakin useless I am like this, seriously. Not having teeth makes it worse! Although I did hang out all my laundry without dropping anything *high fives self, very gently*
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Gwayne's World
Eclipse Champion

Re: Looking for Advice

Post by Gwayne's World »

Are you a good handicapper / bettor?

Heal up quickly, Cleo :)
Ren Marston
Grade 3 Winner

Post by Ren Marston »

oh Cleo i'm so sorry- that sounds seriously painful and difficult to deal with! I can't say I've ever had an injury that severe so I've not got any really good advice for you- my best words of advice would be to take is very very easy- its better to recover slowly and well than to rush it and heal poorly!
Faking it till I make it, and then faking it some more.

Studs
Astro - DR - $15,000
4X STEWARD APPROVED, PROVEN STAKES PRODUCER
Finch Hatton - TR - $30,000
PROVEN FREAK PRODUCING A+ HYPOING STUD
Noel Collins
Derby Contender

Post by Noel Collins »

dang it cleo.
I suggest clothing without snaps and buttons, laying out everything so its on the side you can use, a personal servant until healed, and lots of ice packs.

disposable dishwater and premade meals too.
Lori Hamill
Hall of Fame

Post by Lori Hamill »

Cleo, I am so sorry that this happened to you. I know you are a fighter and you will get through this but it sounds like there will be some life style changes for a while.

If you have one or can borrow one for the duration - a terry cloth robe will act as a towel after a shower. If you can get your bad arm into it first and then your good arm, most of your body will dry just by wearing it.

If possible buy pre-cut veggies and fruit - Do they sell pre-cut foods in your stores just covered with plastic wrap that is easier to open? Is it your dominant arm? Do you have any use of your hand? Are you able to drive?

It sounds like you will be out of work for a while - will you be okay financially? Is there anyone who can help you at all? Is there anything we can do as Simsters to help you from where we are?

There are various articles out there but don't know how they will help you, they seem to require special equipment and apparatus.

https://www.cdha.nshealth.ca/amputee-re ... ded-living
https://www.rehabmart.com/post/living-o ... -an-injury
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jack Ryder
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Jack Ryder »

Time to improve Dart skills.
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Gwayne, I can’t bet on anything haha. Instant 2 year ban! Handicapping is a great pun though 🤣

Ren, I’m actually doing well pain wise. Only using Panadol and ibuprofen. Glad I don’t need endone. We decided we hate each other. The mental pain of being useless on the farm is having a much bigger impact.

Noel, my inability to wash dishes is already driving me batty. We don’t have a dishwasher either 😩

Lori, thank you for those websites! I’ve been struggling to get my good hand washed properly so just that one hint I read is so useful. Jockeys here actually have amazing insurance so I’m fully covered for medical and income, which is a huge thing and a major relief. I’ve probably got 50k worth of just dental to get done. I can’t drive yet, hoping to get cleared for that within a month. Mostly I just need my sim friends to keep my spirits up and do what you’ve done with finding helpful tips.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Brian Chunn
Miler

Post by Brian Chunn »

Oh that is a nasty fall, i once got trapped in a stall when my horse decided to get down but managed to scramble out, so not nearly as bad as your experiance. Hope you get well quickly and do not have too much pain, i bet you are missing the horses/riding already.
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

Ren Marston wrote: 2 years ago oh Cleo i'm so sorry- that sounds seriously painful and difficult to deal with! I can't say I've ever had an injury that severe so I've not got any really good advice for you- my best words of advice would be to take is very very easy- its better to recover slowly and well than to rush it and heal poorly!
My heart goes out to you Cleo. I wholeheartedly agree with Ren about not rushing your recovery. I know how frustrating it can be and how impatient you can get doing nothing, but you must consider the long term results. You need to keep your mind occupied. Do you have a good physiotherapist? They can be invaluable.
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

Time to find a good man/woman with too much money and time on their hands and shack up. That’s my advice
;p
Carole Hanson
Hall of Fame

Post by Carole Hanson »

Cleo I’m so sorry to hear you were so badly injured! I’m glad you’re doing much better physically, I hope mentally you’re getting lots of support as well, I can imagine an accident like that can really shake you.

I’m afraid I have no experience with such injuries so I have no tips, but I’m sending you my absolute best wishes and I hope you have a good recovery now!
LA Pepper
Grade 1 Winner

Post by LA Pepper »

Sounds like youre lucky to be alive and that it wasnt worse, altho it sounds bad enough. I had a horse accident last year that put me in two casts - one arm and one leg, which made me useless and i live alone. Sweat pants and sweat shirts were the easiest to get on and off and could go out in public or accept visitors without embarassment. I had a service deliver groceries which were ordered on the internet from the local store (many of these services cropped up with COVID). I had a needy horse owner come twice a day to feed the horses (he knew what to look for if something was wrong and he loved having a small job) (Thank God no pregnant mares last year !) I actually did not go to the barn for 5 weeks. I had my barn cleaner get my mail from the box and mail my letters and her family blessedly offered to do the snow shoveling when needed. And I got used to sitting around, so much so that I eventually enjoyed it. I even got hooked onto 'Aussie Gold Hunters' as my fave daytime show. You Aussies seem to have gold nuggets sitting around everywhere !! ?? I couldn't deal with showers so just used a wash cloth and I went out and paid the salon to wash my hair. I put a message on my answering machine that said 'sorry, but I'm out of commission and can't help you" and my business did not disappear. Mine were not bad breaks and healed quickly and I found I could still work with horses when I was done. I'm hoping the best for you !!
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Cleo, sorry to hear you were injured. : (

I had carpel tunnel surgery on my right hand some years ago. I had to hold my hand over my head for 12 or so hours after the surgery...sat with my arm propped up on my pillow for that duration....or held it over my head, like a kid in school to get the teacher's attention, if I had to get up and move around.

Once I was able to lower my hand, it was still useless for several weeks. I learned to become left handed, and didn't do too bad after a few days of getting use to it. I also had a hard time shifting my car's stick shift...as it was on my right side. So I had my sister chauffer me around for a few trips. I just had to let friends and family help out for a while with some things.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Post by Darcy McBride »

Oh, Cleo, what a nasty fall! I'm glad you didn't end up with a severe head injury or back injury!

Is there a place that delivers prepared, fresh meals that you only have to microwave a few minutes to enjoy? And no dishes to wash up after, except maybe a fork or knife. Pre-chopped and pre-washed items that can be ordered from the grocery store would help, as previously advised.

I have no experience with an arm injury. I did, however, break my right ankle in two places, loading up the van to go to a dog show. Ended up with a walking cast on. It took a little time, but I did adjust. Learned how to drive my car with my left foot. Things I found difficult to do, I had a friend or family member come over to do it. (I did roll over in bed one night, and my casted leg went over the edge, and I went with it. Ouch)!

The main thing I kept telling myself was "this too, shall pass". I'm glad the pain is not bad. Just hang in there, do your physical therapy, and you'll be back in the saddle before you know it!

And, as mentioned above, please let us know if there is anything us Simsters can do for you! Rest and heal up!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Ashley Hunt
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Ashley Hunt »

Oh Cleo, I am so glad that nothing worse happen! That sounds like some good insurance though! I second the disposable dishware, and pre-made meals! Please take it easy and do not try rush the healing process!