What does the sim mean to you

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

What does the sim mean to you

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Admittedly not sure where this goes, since it's not really "off" topic but also doesn't' really fall into any of the topics. But figured it was a good time for some SimThanksgiving.

I got into the Sim in grad school. I had been a big racing fan when younger but kind of fell out of touch. I went through a dark time in grad school so was looking for something to bring me joy and started getting into racing again. Stumbled upon another graduate student who was also a racing fan (what are the odds???) and reached out. Well turns out he was a sim player and introduced me to the game and the SoCal players. Started semiregularly going to the track with The Steward, RRH and Katy Turner and became a sim player myself. It was nice to have something fun in my life. Eventually left SoCal but in my dark Seattle days my sim friends were always a good excuse to take a trip down to southern California and remind myself what the sun looks like.

Haven't seen my friends in awhile and have fallen out of touch with "real" racing but I still love my little sim barn. I've had a nice run with turf milers through the year. From my first big Steward Bred Such Trickery, fun story there. She was actually my 2nd choice horse but while I could afford my first choice it would have emptied out my bank so Such Trickery seemed a safer bargain purchase. She became my first Steward's Cup winner, and produced 3 millionaires for me, my first big homebreds including 2 stallions I got to stand. My turf miler group recently had a second peak period with Hempstead, an amazing homebred dual Steward's Cup winner, he was extra fun because he descended from a few generations of homebreds, though of course, his dam had a name that did NOT age well, making things a little embarrassing.

Then there are my other loves, the paints. When I was a kid and took riding lessons I did so at a barn that specialized in paints, so they've always had a special place in my heart. Despite this when mixers first came into the sim, I didn't realize get involved prefering my focused turf miler barn, and when I finally decided to reach out I first gravitated towards Arabians, because they're pretty but soon realized I didn't have the patience for that, so decided to give paoints a whirl. By this point paints weren't being given out regularly so slowly had to build up a barn through the horses I could buy/lease/trade with other players. But slowly and surely I built up quite the stable to be proud of, even if my amazing 2yo fillies always get cheated out of HOY (still bitter).

I'm not one that tends to stick to things, but I've been playing this game since 2008, during a period where I've had 3 jobs, lived in 5 homes across 3 cities, experimented with owning all sorts of different animals, its been a constant in my life. It's amazing what an amazing game a teenage girl and her dad were able to keep people engaged and so passionate about. Thank you (not so teenage anymore) Steward and Admin!!

Let's hear some other happy sim stories.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Ren Marston
Grade 3 Winner

Re: What does the sim mean to you

Post by Ren Marston »

I'll have been playing the sim for two years this October, so I'm still really new, but the sense of community, and the friends I've made mean the world to me. I've loved horses since I was a little girl but without the finances to have one, I've sought out anything and everything equestrian to scratch that itch. With horses and video games comes community, and despite my best efforts I've sort of felt like an outsider my whole life; like I was always a sort of 'second choice' sort of person if that makes sense. The sim, however, has never made me feel that way. I've made so many friends, learned so much, and had a ton of fun. Its the best game, and its got he best players in my honest, genuine opinion. People really care about eachother here and sure there's drama here or there, but its outshined by everything positive.
Faking it till I make it, and then faking it some more.

Studs
Astro - DR - $25,000
4X STEWARD APPROVED, PROVEN STAKES PRODUCER
Moonlight Sonata - TR - $15,000
STEWARD APPROVED ULTRA DISCOUNT STAKES PRODUCER
Nena Olson
Hall of Fame

Post by Nena Olson »

The SIM has been the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me. I wish I could say I was exaggerating but I am not. Not only have I met the most amazing people and some of my closest friends due to the SIM but I have had so many first-time, bucket list experiences because of this game! First time on a plane, first time at Disney, first time meeting a Kentucky Derby winner, first time actually being on the backside of a racetrack even, first time meeting well-known faces in the horse racing industry, etc. Not only that but thanks to the SIM, I got to meet the real life Coleman Hell (thanks to Em making me go up to him and tapping his shoulder when he was at the bar so we could meet him). PLUS, the SIM hired me as a graphic artist which got me to make advertisements for Equestricon, I got to go to Equestricon and help run the booth, and THIS got me a marketing job at the local animal shelter, which gave me experience in Marketing which helped me get my dream job (or one of them haha) in the gaming industry! Without the SIM I can guarantee that I would most likely NOT have got this Gaming Industry job so THANK YOU EM FOR MAKING MY LIFE SO MUCH BETTER IN THOUSANDS OF WAYS. I love you bunches <3
✧.* SIM Artist ੈ✩‧₊˚
Regina Moore
Hall of Fame

Post by Regina Moore »

In the most concise terms, the SIM has allowed me to single-handedly manage a massive worldwide racing empire involving 22 different breeds/types. In the earlier days, when managing my horses wasn't enough to satisfy my passion, writing a few hundred articles over a real life decade allowed me to "play" that many more hours a week. I've been here since early 2009 and there's at least a couple dozen players that have been here longer. That's an amazing legacy.
The Steward
Hall of Fame

Post by The Steward »

Thanks guys for the feel good stories. :-) I am really happy with the SIM at the moment, and per usual can't wait to make more stuff!
"There's no secret to training a good horse. It's a matter of being fortunate enough to get one."
"Funny how you often regret the stuff you didn't do more than the stuff you did do" - GG
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

I was 10 when I started, I'm 25 now. It's been fun. :)
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Tim Matthews wrote: 2 years ago I was 10 when I started, I'm 25 now. It's been fun. :)
You and Mike Eaton being grown adults freaks my brain the heck out. Cause I’m definitely still 17 and not 31 *cries in old person*
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Nick Gilmore
Hall of Fame

Post by Nick Gilmore »

When I win the lottery (LOL) I have promised myself a trip around the world. All of my stops will have the wonderful people I have met on the Sim. Anyone wanting to join me on the trip are welcome!

To me the Sim means friends!
Kelly Haggerty
Eclipse Champion

Post by Kelly Haggerty »

To me it means the chance to show support for a fellow U of L Equine program alum and female business owner, all while enjoying a challenging horseracing SIM. It was the latter that brought me in, but the former is more important to me now. The U of L program isn't very big so anytime we can support each other or the industry, even a little bit, I think that's awesome.
Sara Julin
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Sara Julin »

I joined back in 2008. There was no good horse games online back then which kept my interest for very long, so I simply googled "horse racing game" one day, and the rest is history. I joined and played very little in the beginning. It sure was hard to understand the game back then, but thanks to one player I could understand the basics, and over the years it has just expanded to this BIG obsession (almost) xD
I am following the game very closely and are logged in maybe 12 hours per day (at least!), it is always on in the background while I am doing other stuff so I quickly can pop in and see if anything new has happened since I last checked xD

It is by far my favorite game around. I loved to see all the unique portraits being made for each horse back in the days and wanted to become a artist for the sim. It wasn't until 2017, when I saw that Em was looking for a new artist that I got in contact with her for the first time, and became one of the artists of this amazing game. Making portraits for the sims is my favorite part of being a freelance artist and comic illustrator, by far! I really enjoy it and barely see it as work, because to me it is part of the game, and I love the game!

This is by far the longest I have stayed with a game, and I have no plans on stopping. EVER. So all the kudos to Em and the Admin for creating such a amazing game for us! A game which is unlike all others <3
Portrait Artist of the Sim~
Standing Stallions, Crayon, Illegalist
Stallions Soon To Come, n/a
A horse gallops with it's lungs, perseveres with it's heart and wins with it's character~
Andrew Chillin
Hall of Fame

Post by Andrew Chillin »

I found my soul mate through this game. Fate. Destiny is all.
;p
Joseph Depaulo
Grade 2 Winner

Post by Joseph Depaulo »

Tim Matthews wrote: 2 years ago I was 10 when I started, I'm 25 now. It's been fun. :)
the young wizard !
Craig Mcgee
Listed Stakes Winner

Post by Craig Mcgee »

I have been playing since 2018. I had a bad accident at work and was playing another horse racing game to fill my time. Needless to say I was not happy with it. I kept searching for a game and finally found the sim and now you are stuck with me forever lol.

Simsters always ask how I manage such a huge barn and all I can say is it helps to be ADHD and have an addictive personality. As well as not having a job lol.

I grew up on a ranch in the NE corner of Wyoming and started in rodeo at the age of 6 so horses have always been in my blood. I am now living in Louisiana and thanks to the sim I am staying sorta sane.

It still bothers me a lot that I am not able to go back to work. I am only 57 which is way too young to be forcefully retired. I have had 2 major neck surgeries and I am now considered a hazard on the job. So basically 20+ years of being a commercial electrician is flushed down the drain due to a misstep.
I need supervision 24/7. :roll:
Anthony Zappulla
Hall of Fame

Post by Anthony Zappulla »

Sorry to hear that, glad you found a game u enjoy tho!!
Out of the Gate Early its Let's Go to the Mall and Do Some Shopping, followed by Baby Crying, then we have Are we there Yet!! :roll: