Parking rant.

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Parking rant.

Post by Stormy Peak »

My sister lives in an apartment complex.

Every apartment renter gets 1 dedicated parking spot. She also rented a garage, (one she waited for 3 years to become available) and pays $20 a month for it. The garage lets her park much closer to her apartment. There is no where else to park in that area outside of the row of garages.

And...she absolutely does not lose the rights to her outside parking spot just because she got a garage.

In the outside parking area...which is a huge square opened at one end to allow cars to come in and out of it -- every parking spot has a cement stop...to keep the front of the cars from running up onto the sidewalk.
And every cement stop, in Large Font has the apartment's number on it that it belongs to.

There are guest parking spot on the other side of that large square...AND there are 4 'staff' only parking spots in that area.

But that parking spot still belongs to my sister and hers to use or not use as she sees fit. She often pulls into to it because the mailboxes are right next to it and she can check her mail. And also she parked there for a week, when her very pregnant daughter came to visit and my sister let her daughter have the garage, as it's much closer to the apartment. Plus, the spot is 'suppose' to allow my sister to have her own 'guest parking'

For the last 6 times I've gone to see my sister... I've had to hunt down the owners of cars parked in her spot. :twisted:
Usually I find them in one of the 9 apartments on that row between the parking spot and my sister's unit. Most apologize and go out and move their car the the guest parking area.

Yesterday, I pulled into there to visit my sister. There was a full size pick up truck in her spot and two men were walking away from it...I pulled in behind the truck..and they turned an looked at me, and I pointed at their truck, and made a 'come here' motion with my hand. They just looked at me for a few seconds, said something to each other and turned and kept walking and went into an apartment about 5 down from the parking spot. :twisted:

I couldn't stay parked behind that truck, because then I would block in 3 parking spots to my right that is another row of parking spots.

I got my cane, and limped over to that apartment and knocked on the screen door and the door was opened so I could see in...and the apartment was empty. One of them men came up and I asked him to move out of my sister's parking spot.

He informed me that there were other parking spots for guests (in the back 40 acres, as far as my bad back and leg goes)

I told him "NO" That that was my sister's parking spot and he needed to move.

He told me he was the caretaker and had to do some work in the apartment and again said I could go park in one of those guest spaces.

I told him again...that my sister 'owned' that spot, and I was disabled and was NOT going to walk almost the whole length of the apartment building when her parking spot was the closest I could get to her place.
And that just because he had some things to do in that apartment, that it still did not give him the right to my sister's parking spot.

I was also ticked off (to put it mildly) by that basic 'FU' they pulled on me by looking at me and turning away when I first pulled in.

The caretaker actually called me a word that starts with a b and ends with an h -- but went out and moved his truck. I moved slower, due to my leg and back and he revved his engine as a way to show his anger or in trying to intimidate me, as I was getting into my car to back out of his way so I could move into that spot once he got out of it.

Once at my sister's home, I told her what happened...and she about blew a fuse !!!!

This has happened once before with staff from that complex. The apartment complex offers a decently priced service for the elderly and disabled - someone will come in a few times a week and vacuum, dust, wiped down kitchen counters, and clean the bathroom.

One of the cleaning ladies parked there one day and my sister was right behind her, wanting to use her own parking spot. That cleaning lady told my sister 'tough sh...' and wouldn't move. My sister had to call the manager's office who ordered the woman to not park in renter's parking spots...that she had staff parking spots she could use -- which is where that man I ran into yesterday should have parked...and did after I booted him from my sister's parking spot.

The manager assured my sister that he would remind all the workers at the complex to use staff parking and not park in renter's spots. And as the main caretaker of those apartments...that man Knew he shouldn't have parked there...much less called me a b...h when I refused to go park elsewhere.

My sister called the manager again, and I talked with him and told him how the two men looked at me and just walked away when it was clear they knew that I wanted that parking spot...and then called me a rude name when I insisted the one guy move his truck. I was at my sister's for an hour, and when I left I had to walk past that empty apartment...and the door opened on my way by...and the man gave me a half-... apology. So the manager must have called him and chewed him out and told him to apologize. I went ahead and accepted it against my own feelings of just wanting to give him the bird. :evil:

The manager also told my sister that he was going to be mailing out notices to all the renters and reminding the to not use other people's parking spaces...and if it doesn't stop, there might have to be some towing service hired to fix the issue once and for all...and a 'permit' tag with the apartment number-matching the parking space number...would be needed by anyone using the parking in the complex...renters and guests.

I hope it doesn't come to that, but I do hope the threats work. And I'm glad the manager has been so helpful in these cases..better I guess to try to stop it than having renters having fist fights out in the lot if parking rules keep getting ignored.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Re: Parking rant.

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

How incredibly frustrating I can see a worker randomly parking in an open spot, but the fact that they would not move when asked and even worse berate you blows my mind. The parking mess is definitely one of those things I don't miss about apartment living. I actually had an issue in one apartment at the other end of the extreme where we did all have permits. I was once going out with a friend on a weekend, we met at my place and I had him park in my spot and we took my car. Imagine my surprise when we came back and his car was gone... I had figured as long as no one complained (and why would they, he was in my spot) no one would bother with his car even though it didn't have a permit, especially on a weekend when the office was closed. Never thought the tow company was actively prowling the lot looking for cars to collect $250 impound fees on.
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

I like watching shows like parking wars and such...and I've seen on YouTube clips, where a lot of tow companies charge $100 for the tow fee, but it you pay them before they take off, they will charge 'only' $50.00 to release the vehicle. But yeah, they have that tow fee, then add on a ridiculous daily impound fee of like $50.00 or more per day.

Too bad your trip ended in such a manner. : (

I would just about do anything to not have to live in an apartment complex. :P

I lived in a really nice trailer court for a few years, with a good deal of space between my trailer and those closest to me...and we all had nice big fenced in yards...but still, it was too easy to hear someone's t.v or the music they played, and on rare occasions, a fight/argument. I love where I live now, it's pretty isolated and the houses are better at blocking noise than thin walled trailers.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Lily Wilkins
Eclipse Champion

Post by Lily Wilkins »

Parking situations at apartment complexes can be so frustrating. When I moved in with my partner, I went from living on a gated five acre horse farm with all the parking in the world, to an apartment complex in the city... I have so many stories lol. I own my dream car; it's my baby and I would get completely peeved if people took my spot, or parked over the lines next to me - both of which happened quite frequently, and we even paid for me to have a reserved garage parking space.. No parking spot is safe from BS!

We bought a house a couple years ago, so luckily the parking issues are no more.
𝐴𝑧𝑢𝑙 𝐸𝑞𝑢𝑖𝑛𝑒
Since Year 30
Proudly Standing

Equinox | TR/AWR | Leased Out Y66
Quinny | DR/DM | $20,000
✾ Visit our Nursery to view our floofy little future stars!
Ash Tarasin
Eclipse Champion

Post by Ash Tarasin »

I just felt they were incredibly rude. I don't even know how I would react faced with that kind of open coldness.
(passive aggressiveness and microagressions though, I could write a novel about those)
Karazhan, Deshaan
Storm Drawing Near (sire of Steward's Cup winner)