Mule Deer Buck

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Mule Deer Buck

Post by Stormy Peak »

I have large mule deer buck living around my house. I see him about every 2 or 3 days. He appears to be a 4 point...or for many back east who count all the points on each antler...an 8 point

In my neck of the woods, only 1 side of the antler is counted...unless the antlers are 'odd in number of prongs' Then we would call it a 3 by 4 = growing 3 prongs on one antler and 4 on the other. or a 5 by 6 ...etc.

I have definitely seen one of his antlers has 4 points. More than likely he is a 4 point without an 'odd' antler formation. But he could be a 3 by 4 or even a 4 by 5. It will be easier tell in a few more weeks of antler growth.

This is him : )
(And AU...who thankfully doesn't go crazy when seeing deer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlaYnuC3MYY

Anyway...he's tall. That swimming pull behind him has a 5 foot high wall. The fence in front of him is 4 feet. AU, is pretty tall for a golden retriever, about 2 foot 2 inches to the top of his shoulder. That deer's head (head, not including the antlers) as he walks by the pool is level with the top rim of the pool's wall.

Also a note on mule deer vs white tail....and we have both here.

~A mule deer's tail looks like a thick rope with a dark fuzzy tip.
~A white tail, has kind of a wide spade shaped fuzzy tail - brown on upper side but when lifted it's white underneath

Antlers.

A white tail produces 1 antler branch on each side...and it's prongs spring from that main branch...so it's just 1 line with a row of spikes/points on it.

A mule deer's antlers fork, so as they age you see a number of V shaped points.

Anyway, I wish I had a better camera, but all I have is my kindle. And at the end of the clip...I wasn't kidding about what a deer can do to a dog. Around here, every year dogs get attacked by deer...and sometimes even humans. Those deer are not always the nice sweet 'Bambies' that Disney makes them out to be. .

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Darcy McBride
Hall of Fame

Re: Mule Deer Buck

Post by Darcy McBride »

Bambi was actually an adult book. Disney really sweetened that story up. Also the same author wrote another book about Bambi's Children. I enjoyed reading them both, a long time ago.

That is a good sized muley!
DM: AMERICATION MISCHIEF & JAMBOREE
TM: NIGHTWATCH
DS: SINISTER MISTER/THE HELLHOUND/DARKANDSTORMYNIGHT
AWR: TUSCANY GOLD
QH DS: EL RAY SOL
QH DM: MARK ME CHROMED
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Re: Mule Deer Buck

Post by Stormy Peak »

I once had a Gorgeous limited edition copy of Bambi's Children. It had these "glossy" or photographic pages inserted through out the book...of black and white drawings of events and the deer and other animals in the book.
I have found those same images in 1950s copies of the book but they were done on the same pages as the text.

I loved that book and kept it in my closet. But I had a mom had Zero respect for the belonging of me and my siblings.
I came home one day and she ripped off all the posters I had on my walls, cleaned out my closet and threw away a lot of my books, and some records that I had in there...as well as a bunch of clothes that She didn't like...and she tossed out some beloved stuffed animals I had on my bed. I was in the 6th grade at the time and her excuse for getting rid of my stuff was I was too old to have a book about Bambi's children and stuffed animals on my bed, and my posters were ugly...she put up some like dime store framed prints of scenery on my walls.

That book would probably be worth quite a bit by now. She also threw away a 1975 poster I had of Bruce Springsteen. I've seen it priced out between $300 and $750 dollars now.

Even back then, I was the kind of person who took care of things and I still have a few (very few) things my mom didn't get ahold of...but that book and that poster really makes me grind my teeth to this day.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000