Foal name from an old old song.

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Foal name from an old old song.

Post by Stormy Peak »

I was almost asleep last night, and for some unknown reason, a song from my childhood popped into my head. So this morning I got up and looked for it on YouTube and found it. Not only that, I found a televised version that I clearly remember watching with my parents...and I remember my dad laughing his butt off...actually all of us were laughing, my mom, and 3 siblings and myself.

So, of course, I HAD to name a foal after this song, and I was surprised that someone else had tagged a horse with the name, and I released it from a 30+ year old gelding. Carolyn Eaton...gets credit for being the first to name a horse Along Came Jones.
Here's my colt: Along Came Jones

The original version was done by The Coasters in the 1950s, Ray Stevens did his cover in 1969. The song was inspired by a 1945 comedy western, of the same name, starring Gary Cooper.

Here's the funny version I saw at age 6, Ray Stevens, Andy Williams and Danny Thomas, with special appearances by Jimmy Osmond, (of the Osmond Brothers) and his mom. The song is about the bad guy, threatening a woman, and the slow, laid back lawman who always shows up in time to help her.

If this doesn't make you smile or even laugh, you need help...LOL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ippnMH2WwE&t=183s

And here is the Coaster's version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFyr49TwuiI

I think this is one of the more odd ways I've come to in naming a foal...lol...a 3am brain 'click' that triggered the melody, then the song name and me looking into the next day and finding the broadcast of this song, that I had a wonderful memory of...with me and my family, laughing so much over it.

I hope you have some foals you've named in similar ways...some long forgotten song, or a book character that suddenly came to mind.

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

Re: Foal name from an old old song.

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

I loved all those Ray Stevens songs (my favorite - "The day the squirrel went berserk, in the First Self-Righteous church....")- I didn't even know someone had done Along Came Jones before Ray Stevens!
I'm just here for the fun of it
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Ray actually has a beautiful singing voice, as proven with the song, Everything Is Beautiful, In Its Own Way. I wish he had done a lot more serious songs. But yeah his comedy songs were fantastic. I still like The Streak, the best. That line in that song about the incident at the gas station...lol...

---------
"I hollered, "Don't look, Ethel!"
But it was too late
She'd already been mooned
Flashed her right there in front of the shock absorbers"
-----------
LOL of course it had to be in front of the shock absorbers...lol.

Don't Look Ethel, might be another good name for a foal. :P
And here he is....lol at the sire and dam name : )

Don't Look Ethel

The dam, is a blue hen and did get a stakes horse from that sire in the past, the foal being Zip A Dee Do.

Stormy :)
Last edited by Stormy Peak 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Autumn Blackmill
Turf Router

Post by Autumn Blackmill »

These songs are killing me! Love the names that you've gotten out of them, Stormy! Hope they tear up the tracks.

I also like to name after songs or book character, but to limited success so far. At least I can always reuse them in the future!
Solarpunk DS - $40,000, NY

"Who will now henceforth and always be known as Autumn Blackmail!" ~ The Steward