For those who have had COVID, how did you spend your isolation time?

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Carolyn Eaton
Hall of Fame

For those who have had COVID, how did you spend your isolation time?

Post by Carolyn Eaton »

Despite 5 vaccines (initial 2 Moderna, 1st booster Moderna, second poster Pfizer + Pfizer bivalent); I still managed to pick up COVID on the 2nd to last day of a cruise last week. Because of my very boosted state, I have been minimally symptomatic - mild congestion, paroxysmal dry cough, some fatigue the first 3 days but none since (never any fevers/chills/body aches).

John (the hubby) has remained COVID free. Although we have a small, 950sq ft house, we have a spare bedroom, and a den/office with a TV that is generally my domain anyway- so I have my isolation area, and I wear a KN95 mask when I go into the mutual parts of the house.

I cleaned up all the emails that built up on the trip, did some cleaning in the den, posted on my travel blog (www.let-me-show-you-the-world.com) for the New Orleans part of the trip, read 1/2 a Jack Reacher novel, and been doing a lot of fake horse breeding.

Curious to see how others have killed their time in isolation.
I'm just here for the fun of it
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Re: For those who have had COVID, how did you spend your isolation time?

Post by Stormy Peak »

I whimpered and groveled in pain caused by massively high fevers for 6 days. I vaguely recall getting up to take care of body needs and to let my golden retriever outside, and to feed him and the cats. But, there could have been a point where after letting him in and out, I went back to bed and none of the pets were fed for 12 or more hours.

After the fevers were gone, along with most of my energy... I just kind of zoned out in the recliner for three or four days...only getting up to take care of the pets and such. I think I finally started to eat again, on day 10. I had been drinking water, I knew enough to keep doing that while I was having fevers, but it was just too much for me to eat anything. I remember my first meal was some chicken noodle soup. : ) Second meal was chicken noodle soup with crackers! lol

Covid hit me really hard, and left me with some severe joint pain I never had before, and too, I had covid brain-fog really bad for about 2 months...but it's been getting better. I still, though, don't think I will ever recover from some of the joint pain and brain fog issues...still experiencing both.

As for what I did for the month that it took me to get my strength back... I just took each day at a time, I listened to audio books, and watched a few movies on my kindle. And I came into the computer room to try to catch up with my emails and Sim stuff.
I don't have t.v., and can't sit at the computer for very long, before the chair gets too uncomfortable, and sitting in the recliner too long can also get to be hurtful...so I started to sit at the kitchen table too and out of boredom, dragged out my 20 year set of coloring pencils and coloring books...which I had from the days when my nieces were young and we would color together. It would take me about 4 days to do one page, because I couldn't sit at the table for very long either.

My sister...she ended up with covid the month following me...so I ended up doing shopping for her, and leaving goods on her porch steps. I tried to take very short walks, just to move a bit, but the joint pain and weakness kind of made me afraid to do much more than that. Several times while in the grocery store, I would be half way done with shopping and wonder if I had it in me to finish the job. I would actually start shaking from the pain and weakness. But I knew moving around was the best thing...get the circulation going, get my strength back.

I've only had covid 1 time. My sister has had it twice. The first time, it sent her to the hospital and on a ventilator for 2 days.
The 2nd time she was able to stay home, but had to have some oxygen tanks sent to her home. My sister smokes, I never have...so I didn't have breathing issues at least.

I can't/don't even want to imagine having covid again, even if it hits me only 1/2 as hard. I feel bad for those of you who have gone through it more than once.

I hope you continue to get better Carolyn

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Cleo Patra
Hall of Fame

Post by Cleo Patra »

Stormy, for the joint problems - you should see some improvement if you add either gelatin or hydrolysed collagen (also called Verisol) to your diet The collagen works best and you can buy gummies that make taking it nice, but if cash is a bit tight then a tablespoon of plain old cooking/baking gelatin on your morning cereal will do the job.
AT STUD
DR... ROYAL ASSASSIN | WITTED
TR... DAY TO DAY | FIRST CLASS | MEGAPIXELS | MIJO | VALAR | WILDNESS
Future Sires... CINEMA (Y69 or 70) | TRAILBLAZING (Y68 or 69)
Stormy Peak
Hall of Fame

Post by Stormy Peak »

Thanks for the info, Cleo. I have been using a supplement combo that was suggested by a doctor : )

It has helped with a lot of the joint pain, but I have 2 areas where it's not helping....areas that did not hurt before covid. : (
My outside area of my left ankle, and the knuckle of my right fingers...and I am having other issues with that hand too.

I burned my fingers, but not my thumb on that hand 2 years ago. And now, every time I bump, or scrap one of those fingers, all four will swell, the joints hurt all the time, and the areas that had been burn....start to look like burns again, and feel like burns.
The fingers get bruises, and even get blisters.

Before covid...if I bumped or scraped on of those fingers...then just on that finger, I would get a red spot where a burn was...but that was it. I figured at that time it was maybe scar tissue some kind of skin damage reacting to the bump or scrap.

But after covid...if one finger got hurt...all responded... even right now, it looks like someone took a hammer and beat the heck out of my fingers...they are swollen and bruised and I have blisters are the old burn areas on each finger. My thumb is fine, looks normal and so far it doesn't look like anything is moving towards my wrist or anything.

I've tried a prescription salve, it's not helping, but I visit my doctor on Friday and I will probably have to take some kind of prescription pills for it. I don't know if the joint pain in my fingers is just due to the swelling...but none of this was an issue before covid. :P

I will read about the gelatin/collagen stuff. I rarely eat cereal for breakfast, but there's probably other things I can put it on if I decide to try it

Stormy
SIRES: Turf Routers - Each multiple G1 winners

Tuck Everlasting
Fee $30,500

Wolfman Jack
Fee $18,000
Brad Fabman
Derby Contender

Post by Brad Fabman »

I got Covid, the one and only time I had it, On New Years Eve, 2021. At least that's when I became symptomatic. I went and got checked on Jan 9th, 2022. It was 5 days before I got the results which was ridiculous. I was pretty sick but I was just gutting it out. The next day I started with two minor nose bleeds. Not normal for me. I woke up the next day and had the nose bleed from hell. My shirt was soaked and my kitchen floor looked like there was an ax murder. I finally laid on the couch with my nose pinched for about 20 minutes and it stopped and didn't return. I was out of commission for 3 weeks. I was just really tired and lethargic. Nobody prescribed any meds. It just ran it's course. Everybody in the house had it at some point. One has some kind of blood infusion and started getting better within the hour. There is no way on God's green earth that any of us will ever get the jab. EVER! Especially in light of all the recent sudden deaths from young and apparently healthy people. Something isn't right. Just my opinion. That's not to scare anybody. You have to do what's right for you. I only go out once a week. Basically a homebody so being home during covid wasn't a big deal for me.
Fabman Farms - Simmy Awards Won: Y54-Quarter Horse Champion Three Year Old Female - Beena's Gold
Shannon Hunt
Eclipse Champion

Post by Shannon Hunt »

Obscene amounts of Netflix. And naps. Though I was in a lot of pain and was exhausted and breathless after a walk across the room, so there wasn't energy for anything else.
DENSE FOG - AWS multiple freak producer
YOU WILL BE FOUND - DR millionaire producer
Also standing arabian sprinter ISKANDAR ELAKBAR, all weather router SUNRISE INTHE DAWN, and chasers RACING PIRATE and SURVIVOR SE LEVE
Tammy Stawicki
Hall of Fame

Post by Tammy Stawicki »

Brad Fabman wrote: 1 year ago I got Covid, the one and only time I had it, On New Years Eve, 2021. At least that's when I became symptomatic. I went and got checked on Jan 9th, 2022. It was 5 days before I got the results which was ridiculous. I was pretty sick but I was just gutting it out. The next day I started with two minor nose bleeds. Not normal for me. I woke up the next day and had the nose bleed from hell. My shirt was soaked and my kitchen floor looked like there was an ax murder. I finally laid on the couch with my nose pinched for about 20 minutes and it stopped and didn't return. I was out of commission for 3 weeks. I was just really tired and lethargic. Nobody prescribed any meds. It just ran it's course. Everybody in the house had it at some point. One has some kind of blood infusion and started getting better within the hour. There is no way on God's green earth that any of us will ever get the jab. EVER! Especially in light of all the recent sudden deaths from young and apparently healthy people. Something isn't right. Just my opinion. That's not to scare anybody. You have to do what's right for you. I only go out once a week. Basically a homebody so being home during covid wasn't a big deal for me.
Over 10 years ago now one of my friend's heart stopped out of now where. He was in his 20s, and seemingly perfectly healthy. Turns out he had long QT syndrome, an irregular heartbeat. One of the "symptoms" is sudden death. Thankfully his boyfriend was there and able to call 911/administer CPR and he is alive and well today (with a pace maker), though his boyfriend had been scheduled to leave for work the next day so had it happened just a day later he would have died. Cardiac deaths have been the leading cause of death for decades and they are often "sudden." So there have always been "sudden" deaths of young people, whats different now is that every time a "sudden" death or cardiac death happens people publicize it as evidence that the vaccines are killing people giving it more attention than it normally would have. I mean 5 years ago no one would have seen it as shocking that a woman who had a history of drug abuse and 3 close relatives who died of heart attacks (2 in their 40s) died of a heart attack herself in her 50s.

That being said yes there has been a statistically significant increase in cardiac deaths in younger people in the last few years but what doesn't seem to get enough attention in that discussion is the fact that the increase started in March 2020 months before the vaccines even existed much less were given to anyone, but around the time a new virus reached this country that can cause clotting and significant cardiovascular damage. This is an excellent post with a lot of the actual data around "sudden deaths" that I would highly recommend anyone concerned about what they've been hearing to read: https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substac ... email=true

Sorry to hijack Carolyn's post and continue a debate I'm sure most people don't want here, but the scientist in me just wants to make sure people have access to actual data so they can make informed decisions. Carolyn I do hope you feel better soon and don't go to stir crazy in isolation. I have heard you really do want to try to take things easy both mentally and physically while recuperating to help reduce the risk of the longer-term brain fog and fatigue others have mentioned. Also if you qualify for Paxlovoid I would recommend checking that out, there has been one study that suggests it can reduce long COVID risk (https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 22281783v1).
Turf Miler studs
Hempstead
Nonego
Omnsicience

Paint Sprinter studs
Jersey
Lecythus*

Paint Mid studs
Corona Wagon Train*
Jacinth
Komati*
Livewires Turnpike*

Discounts for stakes winners/producers
* = multidistance potential
Jess Dowson
Derby Contender

Post by Jess Dowson »

I know this is an extremely late reply, like what is Covid anymore ?😂

I spent my 2 weeks of testing positive outside with my horses (they live at my house) well not in the house!

I wasn’t too ill luckily and it was summer here in the UK!
Anthem Theodosia
Two Year Old

Post by Anthem Theodosia »

I had it over Christmas break my sophomore year of HS (I’m a senior now). I mostly just had the body aches and fever. Doesn’t sound bad but the body aches were so excruciating I hated getting up. I also couldn’t taste or smell, and if u could taste I could only taste one ingredient. Flavored water tasted like gunpowder and I ate gumbo and could only taste the roux used. I was just kinda tired the whole time.
My dad had covid after his booster shots and had it for over a month w a mean cough and aches. My mom had it and mostly slept it off.
ANTHEM ACRES
Up N’ Coming breeding barn that specializes in the production of promising horses in all track conds.
Y66 Crop
UP N COMING HORSES