Super Bowl

Forum rules
Do not to post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, or sexually-orientated.
Do not post anything negative about any player.
No advertising other games.
The management reserves the right to delete or lock threads and messages at any time.
Read the complete SIM rules and legal information.
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Leonard Beagle wrote: Just my opinion, the Vikings will have to find another QB to have a chance to make the playoffs.

I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again, but Tarvaris Jackson is not an NFL quarterback.
The Vikes have already found another QB in John David Booty (man, his name is awesome!).
Even if they didn't, Tavaris is developing into an okay QB.
Hey, Vince Young put up very similar stats to Jackson last year.
That should say something, right?
Besides, it's really the receivers that make the difference. The have to catch the ball, no matter how crappy a throw.

The Vikes have waaaay more than just a chance at the playoffs, they basically have solidified a spot, especially now that they have Jared Allen and Bernard Berrian.
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Mandy Saunders
Eclipse Champion

Post by Mandy Saunders »

Tim Matthews, Jr. wrote: The Vikes have waaaay more than just a chance at the playoffs, they basically have solidified a spot...
I hope you're right. Sick and tired of being disappointed year after year after year...
~ Mandy ~

Click here to visit The Stallions of Lakeside!

Last updated: Year 26, Break - Wow, it's been awhile, I need to get on that, lol

RIP Shelly & June...I will love you, always.
Emily White
Eclipse Champion

Post by Emily White »

I'll be the first to say: Go Philly! Eagles rock.
Tim Matthews
Hall of Fame

Post by Tim Matthews »

Man, we're all soooooo biased. :P
Got bombed, got frozen
Got finally off to finally dozin’
Kim Plausible
Grade 1 Winner

Post by Kim Plausible »

GO JAGS!!!!
Send me requests for Feature Race articles!
"Thinking for me rarely ends in fewer than 300 words."
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

Tim Matthews, Jr. wrote:
Leonard Beagle wrote: Just my opinion, the Vikings will have to find another QB to have a chance to make the playoffs.

I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again, but Tarvaris Jackson is not an NFL quarterback.
The Vikes have already found another QB in John David Booty (man, his name is awesome!).
Besides, it's really the receivers that make the difference. The have to catch the ball, no matter how crappy a throw.

The Vikes have waaaay more than just a chance at the playoffs, they basically have solidified a spot, especially now that they have Jared Allen and Bernard Berrian.
I've gotta love your passion about your team Tim,but the player that must carry this team is Peterson.
And opposing teams are going to key on stopping him. I just don't see Jackson being talented enough for this team to win more than 8 games,

And that won't get them in the playoffs.

Leo
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Leonard Beagle wrote:
Tim Matthews wrote:

I've gotta love your passion about your team Tim,but the player that must carry this team is Peterson.
And opposing teams are going to key on stopping him. I just don't see Jackson being talented enough for this team to win more than 8 games,

Leo
I'm going to go ahead and back up Tim here, and just reiterate - Trent Dilfer.

Seriously, the only thing that needs to happen is that Jackson matures to the point where he understands how NOT to lose the game. The Vikes running game and defense could very well be Ravens circa 2000-01 good.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews
Madelene Gilbert
Hall of Fame

Post by Madelene Gilbert »

ASchmidt wrote: I am not a loudmouth fan, just boisterous.  And I think if you rooted for Cleveland in a bar around here, you'd be kicked out. Ask Maddy, she knows!
omg, YES!!!!

My friend and I went to a sports bar every Saturday/Sunday last fall to cheer for our respective teams (me Steelers, her Broncos). The one time we played Cleveland there was a Browns fan in the bar with us. We gave each other SUCH grief over that game! hahahaha. That was the one where Reed kicked the last second field goal that bounced off the post and into the goal. Do you remember that one Amy? I think we lost in overtime, but it was still pretty amazing! :D
Matty Dubs
Eclipse Champion

Post by Matty Dubs »

Paul Heinrich wrote:
Leonard Beagle wrote:
Tim Matthews wrote: The Vikes have already found another QB in John David Booty (man, his name is awesome!).

Leo
I'm going to go ahead and back up Tim here, and just reiterate - Trent Dilfer.

Seriously, the only thing that needs to happen is that Jackson matures to the point where he understands how NOT to lose the game. The Vikes running game and defense could very well be Ravens circa 2000-01 good.
Jackson is no Trent Dilfer. They're actually almost opposites. Dilfer could do nothing extraordinary, no real talent, but he was smart.

Tarvaris is an idiot.

I think the Vikings have some skill, but they're not ready to compete with the Packers. Only way to beat the Pack right now is throw on them with a good QB...Harris and Woodson will jump Jackson's routes all day. And they BOTTLED up Peterson. It was so cool.

That said - I think Sidney Rice is a beast. With a good QB, he's a legitimate #1....and Berrian sucks.
This is where a creative signature would go.
Bryan Doolittle
Eclipse Champion

Post by Bryan Doolittle »

Ouch! Can we pick on another team (note silk colors)! We all know the Vikes won't win it even if they get to the Super Bowl. They are more cursed than other Football team... And I Love'em. They need to move outside though.

AAHHHHOOOO! (Viking Horn sound)
"The door says 'PUSH', you idiot"-My Brother
Scott Eiland
Hall of Fame

Post by Scott Eiland »

Am I really the only one who thinks that San Diego could win this year? They almost beat New England last January with Billy Volek under center and Antonio Gates injured.

Imagine if they actually stayed healthy? Philip Rivers may have some growing up to do, but isn't that what people said about Eli Manning this time last year? (heck, last December)
Host of the Hold All Tickets podcast on my own website. Your internet pal.
Martin Pennington
Hall of Fame

Post by Martin Pennington »

I guess I´m the only Bengal in the joint :(
Matty Dubs
Eclipse Champion

Post by Matty Dubs »

Scott Eiland wrote: Am I really the only one who thinks that San Diego could win this year? They almost beat New England last January with Billy Volek under center and Antonio Gates injured.

Imagine if they actually stayed healthy? Philip Rivers may have some growing up to do, but isn't that what people said about Eli Manning this time last year? (heck, last December)
Almost is a misleading phrase. The Patriots have owned the Chargers over the last few years, and almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear warfare.

The Chargers do own the Colts, though.

I think everyone will be shocked by how much the Chargers will miss Michael Turner. And nothing will change the fact that the Chargers receivers are still subpar. I think LT is due to breakdown, and I just HATE Shawne Merriman (see, no bias here)...so boooo Chargers.

As for the Bengals - even Ocho Cinco isn't on that bandwagon, Martin. :)
This is where a creative signature would go.
Leonard Beagle
Hall of Fame

Post by Leonard Beagle »

Well, you Viking fans got me curious. Looking at their schedule, it appears to be a tough one! Let's assume they go 3-3 in their 6 divisional games (home and home against Chicago, Detroit, and Green Bay), I'd think they'd have to win 6 of their other 10 games to get to 9 wins and have a chance to get in the playoffs.

Week 2 - Indianapolis
Week 3 - Carolina
Week 4 - @ Tennessee
Week 5 - @ New Orleans
Week 9 - Houston
Week 11 - @ Tampa Bay
Week 12 - @ Jacksonville
Week 15 - @ Arizona
Week 16 - Atlanta
Week 17 - New York Giants

3 games against Indy, Jacksonville, and NY Giants look difficult, unless the Week 17 game against the Giants is a gimme because of the Giants already clinching a spot and playing their reserves. But the NFC East looks tough again this year, so assume the Giants will playing for a spot. That game could actually determine the last team in as a wildcard. 0-3

Road games are always a toss-up in the NFL, so a split against Tennessee, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, and Arizona can actually be a positive. 2-2

3 games at home against Carolina, Houston, and Atlanta are must win. 3-0

That's only 8 wins for the Vikes, so to get to the magical 9 wins(which still may not get them in the playoffs), they'll have to go 4-2 in divisional play, OR beat either Indy, Jacksonville, or the Giants, OR go 3-1 on the road against Ten, NO, TB, and Arizona.

Of those possibilities, I like their chances best at beating Tennessee, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, AND Arizona.

Minnesota MUST be an outstanding road team this year to get in the playoffs, and I do wish you guys the best!

Leo
Paul Heinrich
Hall of Fame

Post by Paul Heinrich »

Matt Wilson wrote: Dilfer could do nothing extraordinary, no real talent, but he was smart.

Tarvaris is an idiot.
Now Matty, this is the sort of analysis I would expect from an aspiring fan-site blogger, not a sportswriter! :P

How smart did Trent Dilfer look in his second season when he was throwing 4 1/2 times as many interceptions as touchdowns? How idiotic was Tarvaris when he was playing a pretty significant role in their 5 game winning streak in November?

I have no idea what Tarvaris' "Wonderlic" score was, as I don't really put any stock into them anyway. Composure is more important to me, and that usually comes with experience. Tarvaris has the athletic ability to develop into a more-than-capable NFL quarterback, if the coaches are doing their job. But whether or not he's going to be the guy who takes them there, the point is the Vikings are not in need of a difference-maker at the position, just a placeholder. When you understand that, it's much easier to see the Vikes being a serious contender with any of their quarterbacks.
"They're not going to kick me out." - Tim Matthews